Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Ukulele as enjoyable as mando?

Default Re: Ukulele as enjoyable as mando?

Quote Originally Posted by stevedenver View Post
    ...there was a great over the rainbow tune, ?, female singers name escapes me, was in an ad a year or so back...very homey and beautifully simple and intimate....
    You're probably referring to Somewhere Over the Rainbow as sung by Israel "Iz" Kamakawiwoʻole -- who was male, though sang almost in contralto range. Iz succumbed to complications of his extreme obesity in his 30's, but his interpretation of the Arlen/Harburg song from The Wizard of Oz has become a major hit. I understand it's part of the soundtrack for a lot of weddings.

Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

2. The following members say thank you to allenhopkins for this post:

The last post made me think that there might be an interesting difference between ukulele and mandolin players at the performing level (defined as being paid to perform, even if only occasionally). Almost all the ukulele performers I know carefully avoid playing songs which have been made famous on the ukulele. Thus no-one does "Over the Rainbow", or "My Guitar Gently Weeps" in the style of Jake Shimabakuro. They all seem to work on an individual style, picking songs that others don't play.

By contrast there seems to be a large proportion of mandolin performers who play songs already made well-known on the mandolin. This is very apparent in bluegrass, but also in old time and other genres. In other words, there seem to be standards on the mandolin in many genres of performing, but not in ukulele performing. Is this because uke (clubs aside) is very much a solo instrument, whereas mandolin is an ensemble instrument? Or because there are few ukulele genres? - the only one I can think of is George Formby style, which does have many performers trying to replicate the style and sound, playing the same songs.

Here's a clip of why the uke seems so beautiful. Start the video at 2:24, a mando simply cannot do this. If I watch this long enough I have to keep myself from reaching for my wallet.

Not sure what song it is but listen at 2:24

https://www.theukulelesite.com/shop-...nd/kamaka.html

Quote Originally Posted by ProfChris View Post
    By contrast there seems to be a large proportion of mandolin performers who play songs already made well-known on the mandolin. This is very apparent in bluegrass, but also in old time and other genres. In other words, there seem to be standards on the mandolin in many genres of performing, but not in ukulele performing. Is this because uke (clubs aside) is very much a solo instrument, whereas mandolin is an ensemble instrument?
    I don't know about that specific reason, but I've always thought of ukulele as a fun solo instrument that doesn't work well in ensembles, due to the soft attack and relatively low volume. I've never been tempted to pick one up, because I've always enjoyed playing with others as well as solo.

There are other reasons too. I'm already somewhat fluent in fingerstyle guitar, including nylon string guitar, where the range of expression is so much deeper. Playing ukulele would feel like giving up too much in bare finger technique.

Quote Originally Posted by fscotte View Post
    Here's a clip of why the uke seems so beautiful. Start the video at 2:24, a mando simply cannot do this. If I watch this long enough I have to keep myself from reaching for my wallet.

Not sure what song it is but listen at 2:24

https://www.theukulelesite.com/shop-...nd/kamaka.html
    Very nice, but -- I'm about to alienate all the Uke players here -- that kind of chord melody isn't anything you couldn't do better on a nylon string guitar, with more strings to work with, and the option of an independent bass line with your chord melody.

Accomplished chord-melody ukulele players on YouTube get a lot of attention just because it's different, and the instrument looks so approachable. This isn't anything that nylon string guitar players haven't done already, and in most cases far better, for the last 50 or so years.
    Lebeda F-5 mandolin, redwood top
    Weber Yellowstone F-5 octave mandolin

I've owned a classical guitar or two, and I think the uke being smaller, with higher timbre, definitely has a more cheerful and delicate sound. I think that's the appeal.

I have a Pono Tenor with low G tuning that’s a really nice instrument for about $400, and I enjoy it, but tend to only pull it out if it fits well in a song we’re doing in our youth praise band. It is fun, and, as others have stated, easy to reach strum and sing passability. To play like Jake? Well, um, no At the same time I also bought a Kala Waterman soprano to take on trips/flights when I don’t want to risk taking a mandolin. Indestructible (well, almost), fits in a backpack easily, and actually doesn’t sound too bad for a piece of molded plastic. Has served me very well on a couple of longer trips, and a nice way to decompress in the evenings...

But, mandolin’s still my crack, at least for now...

FScotte, if you do bite, I can say that I was very pleased with he set up and service from the Ukulele Site. They actually called me to check on set up preferences. They move on “island time,” but are up front about it, and everything was actually done a little ahead of schedule.
    Chuck

Blog Entries

Almost all the ukulele performers I know carefully avoid playing songs which have been made famous on the ukulele. Thus no-one does "Over the Rainbow", or "My Guitar Gently Weeps" in the style of Jake Shimabakuro. They all seem to work on an individual style, picking songs that others don't play.

By contrast there seems to be a large proportion of mandolin performers who play songs already made well-known on the mandolin.
    Once you mentioned it I realized there is some truth to your observation, and I am trying to think of why this might be.

All I have come up with is that the present wave of ukulele performers are deliberately trying to distance themselves from any of the stereotypes associated with the instrument. To be taken more seriously perhaps, or as a sign of individuality and independence from any tradition. Or they took the (IMO correct) message from the phenomenon of Jake Shimabokuro, that the uke can do anything, (as opposed to the message of "play like me").

Mandolinners, OTOH, especially in bluegrass IMO, are steeped in tradition and hero emulation. Just a different culture.

No right or wrong, just different cultures. I think more mandolins are taken up because a love of the tradition(s) they are heard in, while more uke's are taken up because it appears you can "get there" quickly. So more folks pick up the uke with no real tradition in mind. Except maybe those who reside in Hawaii.

Interesting.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

I think it's a culture thing for sure.

And there never was a strong ukulele culture (outside Hawaii), just a small number of star performers. So what I've seen happening is that someone becomes fascinated with the uke for whatever reason, and then uses it to play the music they like. Which of course, changes that music. It's very individualistic - I'm playing a festival in May, and last year's acts ranged from oddly psychedelic rock through to Danish folk music on uke and double bass.

Somewhere in the middle are my friends Phil and Ian, just to give you a counter-example to Jake Shimabakuro:

I think it's a culture thing for sure.

And there never was a strong ukulele culture (outside Hawaii), just a small number of star performers.
    Not so sure about that....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ukulele

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5m39_gAWr7s
    If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a vet.

Piano as enjoyable as pastrami?

Quote Originally Posted by T.D.Nydn View Post
    Most people think the mandolins were playing are ukuleles anyway,so it really doesn't matter....
    or banjos....
    "What's that funny guitar thing..?"

Quote Originally Posted by allenhopkins View Post
    You're probably referring to Somewhere Over the Rainbow as sung by Israel "Iz" Kamakawiwoʻole -- who was male, though sang almost in contralto range. Iz succumbed to complications of his extreme obesity in his 30's, but his interpretation of the Arlen/Harburg song from The Wizard of Oz has become a major hit. I understand it's part of the soundtrack for a lot of weddings.
    I really like Iz's voice and his uke playing is exactly what's needed for the song, but I sure wish he'd taken the time to learn the words. He has screwed the words up so badly that it no longer makes any sense. I've posted the first verse as written by Yip and as sung by Iz. It doesn't get any better lyrically as the song goes on.

Yip Harberg wrote:

Somewhere over the rainbow, way up high
    There's a land that I heard of once in a lullaby
    Somewhere over the rainbow, skies are blue
    And the dreams that you dare to dream really do come true

Iz sang:

Somewhere over the rainbow, way up high
    And the dreams that you dream of, once in a lullaby
    Somewhere over the rainbow, blue birds fly
    And the dreams that you dream of, dreams really do come true

The sad thing is that a whole whack of ukulele players have learned Iz's words and are singing them instead of Harberg's. I'm sure poor Yip is rolling over in his grave.
    Jim Yates

Didn't Judy Garland sing " blue birds fly"?

Yes, Iz messed up the words. The line "Birds fly over the rainbow, why, then oh why can't I?" appears to have eluded him completely. His ethereal, melodious voice, and the spare uke accompaniment, are what makes his version so memorable.

My favorite version of The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down is the one Joan Baez recorded; she got the words wrong again and again ("so much cavalry" instead of "Stoneman's cavalry, e.g.), but I still love it.

And of course there's this:

Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

Quote Originally Posted by foldedpath View Post
    I don't know about that specific reason, but I've always thought of ukulele as a fun solo instrument that doesn't work well in ensembles, due to the soft attack and relatively low volume. I've never been tempted to pick one up, because I've always enjoyed playing with others as well as solo.

There are other reasons too. I'm already somewhat fluent in fingerstyle guitar, including nylon string guitar, where the range of expression is so much deeper. Playing ukulele would feel like giving up too much in bare finger technique.
    I find the "playing with others" idea intriguing as a reason to reject smaller nylon-strung intruments. I can't think of why charango, requinto and other small nylon-strung instruments should have been automatically rejected from being part of ensemble playing.

I even know of loud ukuleles, so that's not an issue.

It's okay to not like ukulele and to not be able to picture it being used in different ways, just as some people can't imagine liking a mandolin with more tonal complexity than just the bluegrass chop. It's even definitely okay to like something in just one form or context. I do think, however, that it's worth being able to consider and encourage new things, in the same way I spent some time learning mandore music to better understand its descendent the mandolin.
    ----

Playing a funky oval-hole scroll-body mandolin, several mandolins retuned to CGDA, three CGDA-tuned Flatiron mandolas, two Flatiron mandolas tuned as octave mandolins,and a six-course 25.5" scale CGDAEB-tuned Ovation Mandophone.

Love mandola?
    Join the Mandola Social Group!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Yates View Post
    I'm sure poor Yip is rolling over in his grave.
    I beg to differ. If it wasn't for Iz, there is a good chance nobody would be playing that song, or singing that song. Iz pulled it out, dusted it off, and made it relevant to new generations. OK, some of the words have been changed.

I think Yip would be thrilled that someone is still singing it. At all.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

Quote Originally Posted by Explorer View Post
    I find the "playing with others" idea intriguing as a reason to reject smaller nylon-strung intruments. I can't think of why charango, requinto and other small nylon-strung instruments should have been automatically rejected from being part of ensemble playing.
    Charango and requinto in their "natural habitat" are part of an ensemble with other instruments that aren't very loud. Andean pan pipes for example, along with charango. That's not a loud instrument.

I play Irish/Scottish trad in groups that usually include a bunch of fiddlers, and often a piper or two (indoor smallpipes or reelpipes). Scottish pipes are not Andean panpipes. If you're going to play a fretted string melody instrument in this particular genre of music, then you need something that can at least be loud enough to kick off a set of tunes. I know there are people who bring ukuleles to Irish sessions, but I can't imagine it working in the sessions I attend.

Same thing for Blues, Jazz, or similar acoustic jams, unless it's a very small group of players. In an Andean folk group for charango, or Hawaiian uke orchestra, then sure. It has to be the right context to fit in, like any acoustic instrument.

I even know of loud ukuleles, so that's not an issue.
    If there is a ukulele that can be heard playing along with Scottish smallpipes, I've yet to hear it. Context... context.

I run a mixed acoustic jam (anywhere from a dozen to 2-3+ dozen, depending on the season). We are very beginner friendly and happen to get a lot of ukers (probably 1/2 of the group). Even with 20 or more ukes, all it takes is one energetic banjo to drown them all out (thankfully most exercise a degree of control). I even have to be careful with my mandolin as it can definitely overwhelm them if strummed. Most of the guitarists try to keep their volume balanced with the other players but it's not easy. Acoustic uke is a fairly quiet instrument (even played with a pIck or "en masse") and is easily overpowered.

The uke (a soprano banjo uke which I still own) put me on this path I’ve been following for over 40 years, so there’s a tender place in my heart for them. There is joy in any musical instrument! These two young players seem to be enjoying themselves quite a bit, and their music is joyful as well.
    https://www.facebook.com/diplyfacts/...QMdD0NyX8gzfJs
    "Well, I don't know much about bands but I do know you can't make a living selling big trombones, no sir. Mandolin picks, perhaps..."

Quote Originally Posted by lukmanohnz View Post
    There is joy in any musical instrument!
    Full stop.
    We are the music makers,
    And we are the dreamers of dreams

22. The following members say thank you to Roger Moss for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by lukmanohnz View Post
    There is joy in any musical instrument!
    Absolutely! There is also joy in in playing with others, and that's a big part of my musical life. I don't find the ukulele ideal for that.

It's a fine solo instrument, or when played together with other ukists... er, ukers (is that a word?).

Quote Originally Posted by foldedpath View Post
    It's a fine solo instrument, or when played together with other ukists... er, ukers (is that a word?).
    It is if your name is 'Bob'...
    We are the music makers,
    And we are the dreamers of dreams

NOTHING is as enjoyable as a mandolin.

1935 Gibson A-1 Wide mandolin
    Late 1800's Unbranded German fiddle

The way I look at it is that any chordophone is just a tool, a soundbox with strings attached, whose music is determined solely by the player, not by any traditions, expected sounds, or specifically designated tunings.

When I see the claim that a ukulele is more limited than a mandolin, I would agree when the ukulele is tuned in its typical way. Change the tuning to fifths, and the lower range is increased (and in my experience, the body of a tenor, at least, is certainly large enough to handle it), thereby putting the two on a level playing field of versatility. And a uke now becomes useful to play anything written for a fifths-tuned instrument just as it was composed. (But then, I'm writing as someone who, had the mandola and mandolin first existed in a different tuning than fifths. would have promptly changed them to fifths for my own uses. just "because viola", but I digress). The example of the Bach cello prelude being played in the video upthread illustrates my thinking - while an excellent performance, the ukulele as it is traditionally tuned is inadequate for the player to play all of the piece's notes in the specific octaves as originally written - rather like my attempt to play a Bach klavier prelude on mandola. ;-)

I love to be able to have another alternative sound, as the timbre of fingers on nylon or fluorocarbon strings is completely different from that of plectrum-picked steel strings or bowed strings, and has its own distinct charm. The capabilities of a ukulele (or "an ukulele" - the subject for another debate - LOL), even if it's tuned in fifths, may very well be dwarfed by the feats possible on a classical guitar, but for those of us without the time or inclination to dedicate to an instrument inhabiting a whole other unexplored realm, it will do just fine. (And just to mention, there are quite a few guitarists out there exploring fifths tuning, as well. ;-) )

I leave others to discuss the relative merits of playing either mando-kin or uke-kin instruments in groups, as for me plucking (with plectrum or fingers) is mostly a solitary pursuit done for my own enjoyment, edification and future dementia prevention.

bratsche
    Last edited by bratsche; Mar-31-2018 at 4:52pm. Reason: Department Of Redundancy Department
    "There are two refuges from the miseries of life: music and cats." - Albert Schweitzer

GearGems - Gifts & apparel for musicians and more!
    MandolaViola's YouTube Channel

27. The following members say thank you to bratsche for this post:

When talking Ukes, one needs to remember that there is a variety of ukulele type instruments; Banjolele, Resoukes, and 4 different sizes of standard ukes to choose from. If you need volume consider the banjolele or the Resonator Ukulele.

I have both a soprano ukulele and a Banjolele. The little soprano gets quickly lost at a jam, but the banjolele is never overpowered and cuts with the best of mandolins. I perform with a trio, and we normally amplify all our instruments for most venues, but we never have to worry about the banjolele which is used for some jug band tunes. It is interesting to note that the banjolele always attracts the most interest and questions from folks.

It seems to me that learning another instrument like the Ukulele has no downside, and serves to provide the musician with yet another palette to make music.
    If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a vet.