Thread: Exercises for artificial harmonics

Default Exercises for artificial harmonics

I need some exercises to learn to play artificial harmonics. Any ideas. Thanks.
    “Music expresses that which cannot be said and on which it is impossible to be silent.”
    ― Victor Hugo

Default Re: Exercises for artificial harmonics

Do you mean that technique where you finger a chord then play harmonics on that chord shape exactly an octave up the strings from the chord shape? I can do this on a guitar (badly), but have not tried it on twin-course instruments. i think they are called pinch harmonics, if it is the same thing. Finger a string then touch the harmonic an octave above that spot, right above the fret, with fingertip while plucking the string with your thumb.
    I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order. - Eric Morecambe

http://www.youtube.com/user/TheOldBores

3. The following members say thank you to John Kelly for this post:

There are three pages devoted to natural (open string) and artificial (fretted string) harmonics in Samuel Sigel’s book titled “Siegel’s Special Mandolin Studies” published in 1901. Included is an explanation of the technique and some exercises. I bought it as a reprint a few years ago, it may still be available. If you can’t find the book just send me a private message and I will forward you the three pages.

Samuel Siegel was a well known mandolinist in the early days of sound recording, he recorded for all the companies including Berliner, Edison, Columbia and Victor. You can find many of these recordings at the UCSB cylinder recording site and well as the Library of Congress “ National Jukebox” located here LOC.gov/jukebox

Mark
    Mark Lynch

5. The following members say thank you to MarkELynch for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by John Kelly View Post
    Do you mean that technique where you finger a chord then play harmonics on that chord shape exactly an octave up the strings from the chord shape? I can do this on a guitar (badly), but have not tried it on twin-course instruments. i think they are called pinch harmonics, if it is the same thing. Finger a string then touch the harmonic an octave above that spot, right above the fret, with fingertip while plucking the string with your thumb.
    Thanks John. That's what I meant. I have to touch an octave above the fret. I was fingering the string and touching with the index at twelve's fret. It explains why I wasn't getting a sound
    “Music expresses that which cannot be said and on which it is impossible to be silent.”
    ― Victor Hugo

Quote Originally Posted by MarkELynch View Post
    There are three pages devoted to natural (open string) and artificial (fretted string) harmonics in Samuel Sigel’s book titled “Siegel’s Special Mandolin Studies” published in 1901. Included is an explanation of the technique and some exercises. I bought it as a reprint a few years ago, it may still be available. If you can’t find the book just send me a private message and I will forward you the three pages.

Samuel Siegel was a well known mandolinist in the early days of sound recording, he recorded for all the companies including Berliner, Edison, Columbia and Victor. You can find many of these recordings at the UCSB cylinder recording site and well as the Library of Congress “ National Jukebox” located here LOC.gov/jukebox
    Mark
    Thanks Mark. I can't find the book. I'll send you a private message for the 3 pages. Much appreciated
    ― Victor Hugo

Always called that chiming. What's artificial about it?

9. The following members say thank you to Mandoplumb for this post:

Blog Entries

They’re not the harmonic of the string but of the artifice of shortening the string.
    Eoin

"Forget that anyone is listening to you and always listen to yourself" - Fryderyk Chopin

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Beanzy For This Useful Post:

Here is Siegel’s explanation of the technique.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	95218281-5084-42D7-9B89-739AA254F226.jpeg 
Views:	175 
Size:	889.4 KB 
ID:	166237
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	69B7B974-F04A-4849-9070-781505DB62A1.jpeg 
Views:	222 
Size:	1.87 MB 
ID:	166238
    Mark Lynch

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MarkELynch For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by John Kelly View Post
    i think they are called pinch harmonics
    A pinch harmonic is a different thing and is quite difficult to achieve satisfactorily on an acoustic instrument. To do it you roll the pad of your thumb over the point of your pick and dig into the string so the pick and thumb strike the string at the same time. This can be performed at any fret on the neck.

On an electric guitar with the gain cranked up to 11 you'll get an awesome squealing harmonic best enjoyed with lots of vibrato or a big push on a whammy bar.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to chrisoff For This Useful Post:

String-Bending Heretic mandocrucian's Avatar

Exercises?

Just start playing simple tunes an octave higher in (all) harmonics (pointed RH index finger style). "Twinkle Twinkle Little Star", "Star of The County Down", "Song of The Ass", "John Fenwick's Flower Amang Them All", "Over the Waterfall", "Old Joe Clark" etc.

then scales and arpeggios all quarter note with RH down strokes.

Play chord arpeggios mixing regular notes and harmonics.

open G chord (shape is held down)
    ====================3========================
    ============2===========<14>=================
    ====0=========<12>==========================
    ==0====<12>==================================

D major scale with harmoinics substituted for effect. Use the hammer-ons to keep the notes in relative balance with the chimes.
    ======================0= 2h3======
    =============2h4==============<12>
    ==0=2h4===========<12>============
    ========<12>=====================

Playing harmonics (pointed RH index finger style whether on open or fretted strings) in 8th notes with down-up is a challenge. Down chimes are rather east, but get a clean chime on the upstroke takes some work. Chimes within crosspicking sounds great but it's a workout.

Ten years ago, I had pages and pages and pages of instructional exercises & arrangements for various advanced techniques (harmonics, percussive stuff, two-handed tapping, fingerpicking, R&B/Rock/funk rhythm grooves etc. etc.) but abandoned it all when I realized I'd be lucky to sell even 100 copies (over time) and would never come close to breaking even on publishing costs and the expenditure of time. Absolutely no market for any of it in a grasscentric scene.

Niles H

Mandocrucian tracks on SoundCloud

CoMando Guest of the Week 2003 interview of Niles

"I could be wrong now, but I don't think so!." - Randy Newman ("It's A Jungle Out There")

17. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mandocrucian For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by mandocrucian View Post
    Ten years ago, I had pages and pages and pages of instructional exercises & arrangements for various advanced techniques (harmonics, percussive stuff, two-handed tapping, fingerpicking, R&B/Rock/funk rhythm grooves etc. etc.) but abandoned it all when I realized I'd be lucky to sell even 100 copies (over time) and would never come close to breaking even on publishing costs and the expenditure of time. Absolutely no market for any of it in a grasscentric scene.
    Hmm... some of us who have bought various publications from you over the years would love to hear of such a book, even in e-book form.

Of course, I play no bluegrass whatsoever.
    ----

Playing a funky oval-hole scroll-body mandolin, several mandolins retuned to CGDA, three CGDA-tuned Flatiron mandolas, two Flatiron mandolas tuned as octave mandolins,and a six-course 25.5" scale CGDAEB-tuned Ovation Mandophone.

Love mandola?
    Join the Mandola Social Group!

Stop the chop!
    Blog Entries

First of all I'm curious as to what kind of gingerpicking Niles has in mind for the mandolin. Three finger rolls?

When I started on the guitar 60 years ago I learned about artificlal harmonics and tried them a bit, but they didn't lead anywhere, so I've never tried them on the mandolin. I can see they're quite a challenge on a double course instrument, without amplification. Perhaps someone could post a video or sound file?

I've seen Tommy Emmanuel perform Somehere Over the Rainbow, starting with a shower of arpeggiated harmonics and I can see the many advantages of the guitar: Better sustain, stronger overtones, more strings, at closer intervals. Also, the use of a thumpick frees the index finger to produce the octaves. To me the mandolin is just a complement to the guitar, e.g., it allows certain types of melodies that would antail very awkward and frequent string changes on the guitar. So I'm not given to guitar envy.

That is what a dobro player does and then slides is steel up and calls it chiming. I still think that is a better word than artificial, just my opinion.