Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Leavin'

Default Leavin'

Never heard of this tune before, nor the band performing it. Could someone please enlighten me on who's playing the mandolin in this video?

Last edited by Mandolin Cafe; Mar-25-2018 at 8:30pm. Reason: fixing embed coding error
    "Well, I don't know much about bands but I do know you can't make a living selling big trombones, no sir. Mandolin picks, perhaps..."

Default Re: Leavin'

Can't get the video to play.

Same. No video. Or the mandolin player is Claude Rains.
    Ray Dearstone #009 D1A (1999)
    Skip Kelley #063 Offset Two Point (2017)
    Arches #9 A Style (2005)
    Bourgeois M5A (2022)
    Hohner and Seydel Harmonicas (various keys)

"Heck, Jimmy Martin don't even believe in Santy Claus!"

I found a video of a Bluegrass song called "Leavin." Is this it? THe mandolin player is someone named Don Rigsby.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_BocvV_50U
    Ray Dearstone #009 D1A (1999)
    Skip Kelley #063 Offset Two Point (2017)
    Arches #9 A Style (2005)
    Bourgeois M5A (2022)
    Hohner and Seydel Harmonicas (various keys)

"Heck, Jimmy Martin don't even believe in Santy Claus!"

5. The following members say thank you to Bill Kammerzell for this post:

Here's the link in case you are unable to see the embedded video in the original post: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1EoIQCSKzA

Here's a nice profile on James King from Bluegrass Today on the sad occasion of his passing: https://bluegrasstoday.com/james-king-passes/

I suspect that the mandolinist in this video might be Kevin Prater. Here's a link to his web site - looks as though he is still an active performer: https://www.thekevinpraterband.com/kevin-prater
    "Well, I don't know much about bands but I do know you can't make a living selling big trombones, no sir. Mandolin picks, perhaps..."

Quote Originally Posted by willkamm View Post
    I found a video of a Bluegrass song called "Leavin." Is this it? THe mandolin player is someone named Don Rigsby.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_BocvV_50U
    I do like that version with Don Rigsby. I saw Rigsby close up a few years ago at Walker Creek Music Camp. He brought the house down with his rendition of Kentucky Waltz.

8. The following members say thank you to lukmanohnz for this post:

That doesn't look like Kevin and it doesn't look like Don either.

I do miss James. He left us too early.

According to Wikipedia, The James King Band had mandolinists named Kevin Prayer and Jesse Brock. Could it be Brock?
    http://www.jessebrock.com/blog

Good music by the way.
    Robert Johnson's mother, describing blues musicians:
    "I never did have no trouble with him until he got big enough to be round with bigger boys and off from home. Then he used to follow all these harp blowers, mandoleen (sic) and guitar players."
    Lomax, Alan, The Land where The Blues Began, NY: Pantheon, 1993, p.14.

Quote Originally Posted by Ranald View Post
    According to Wikipedia, The James King Band had mandolinists named Kevin Prayer and Jesse Brock. Could it be Brock?
    http://www.jessebrock.com/blog

Good music by the way.
    I think Jesse Brock might be too young to be the mandolinist in that video - the Wikipedia article says he was on King’s final recordings circa 2013. And ‘Prayer’ appears to be a typo. It is spelled ‘Prater’ (see my earlier post for a link to his web site). I’m still stumped. Anyone else got a clue? Anybody?? Bueller?

12. The following members say thank you to lukmanohnz for this post:

Ranald 

It surely isn`t Jesse Brock...I know Jesse pretty well....I have seen that mandolin player before but don`t know his name.....

Willie

I first heard the song done by the original 'Longview' band quite a while back,James King was the lead singer. Don Rigsby played mandolin / Joe Mullins - banjo / Marshall Wilborn - bass / Dudley Connell - guitar / Glenn Duncan - fiddle,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

James was well-known for using assorted pickers for his shows, pretty much whoever was available, eager and anxious. Rest his soul.

Quote Originally Posted by AlanN View Post
    James was well-known for using assorted pickers for his shows, pretty much whoever was available, eager and anxious. Rest his soul.
    So is the identity of this mandolinist lost to antiquity?? That guy played with some serious attitude - I love how he emphasized his licks with a roll of his shoulders. He was into the tune and the performance. It might not be the most amazing mandolin break ever recorded, but he was a solid player with chops and I’ll give that picker his due. FWIW I still think it might be Kevin Prater but I’m hoping a cafe member can confirm/identify him with some degree of certainty.

I Googled the name Kevin Prater and what came up was not the same person that is shown with James King....Could there be more than on? Could be I guess...

Willie

Well, I can't confirm his identity but I can deny that it's Kevin Prater - no how, no way.

19. The following members say thank you to AlanN for this post:

That is definitely Don Rigsby. His stance and the way he holds the mandolin are unique to tell it's him.
    ManjoMan

Quote Originally Posted by ManjoMan View Post
    That is definitely Don Rigsby. His stance and the way he holds the mandolin are unique to tell it's him.
    No way.

22. The following members say thank you to AlanN for this post:

No way.
    Agreed. I am almost certain without a doubt that it is NOT Don Rigsby. I've seen Don live and unless he changed a whole bunch about his pick grip, the position of his mandolin relative to his body, and his physique, that's not Don Rigsby.

It looks like Don Rigsby to my eyes :- ''Band of Ruhks'' - Bootleg John. Same beard & the way he holds the mandolin lokks pretty much the same,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

25. The following members say thank you to Ivan Kelsall for this post:

That leaves the mystery still unsolved. I thought sure someone at the cafe would peg that picker in no time.

BTW - that’s a great video of Don, Ivan. Thanks for posting it!

27. The following members say thank you to lukmanohnz for this post:

formerly Philphool Phil Goodson's Avatar

Are you guys even looking at the right picture? Some are showing the wrong video, not the one the OP is asking about.

Here's the guy:Click image for larger version. 

Name:	picker.jpg 
Views:	148 
Size:	9.5 KB 
ID:	166499

Not Brock; not Rigsby!!! (I've seen them both, many times.)
    Phil

“Sharps/Flats” “Accidentals”

I asked Alan Bibey who this guy is. Even he did not know. So, that settles it: he doesn't exist.

30. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AlanN For This Useful Post:

I asked Alan Bibey who this guy is. Even he did not know. So, that settles it: he doesn't exist.
    Dang! That's gotta be the best mandolin-playing phantom I've ever heard....

Still mystified that nobody seems to be able to identify this player.

That guy sure as heck looks like Wayne Taylor ex.''US Country Current Bluegrass Band'',now with ''Appaloosa'' - https://bluegrasstoday.com/wayne-tay...d-appaloosa-2/ Did WT ever play mandolin ??.

From 'Wayne Taylor Productions' :- "......Shortly after that, he and David formed the "East Maiden Express" bluegrass group, where Wayne played mandolin.'',
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

33. The following members say thank you to Ivan Kelsall for this post:

You're right, Ivan; it most certainly does. And since that video was clearly shot some years back, judging by the appearance of both James and the bass player (who I will be catching next month when Sideline hosts Lil John's Mountain Music Festival in Snow Camp, NC
    http://www.littlejohnsmountainmusic.com/), it may well be Wayne. If we are still scratching our collective heads about this, I will ask Jason who it was.

35. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AlanN For This Useful Post: