Thread: Applause-Electric

Default Applause-Electric

Looking at an Applause electric acoustic, model # Mae148- APPL serial # 4552160, I am going to look at it today, does anyone have any idea what this is worth? I know he paid good money forit, just over 900 bucks quite a few years ago. He is a great player and looks after his stuff.

===========

Default Re: Applause-Electric

To my experience - these things have very little value in the used market . . . in just the past year I have seen them sell for as little as $200. I'm not sure what the 'average' price is for them, but I personally would not go over $350, or so.

Anyone else had any recent dealings with these?

Applause is Ovation’s budget line, and Ovation is....Ovation. Original price is irrelevant, it wont sell for anywhere near that. if it meets your needs buy it for the playing value but not more than 300 in real good shape.

Worlds ok-ist mando playr Zach Wilson's Avatar

I played an Ovation once. It was ok. Because of the fixed guitar style bridge and flat top it felt and sounded to me like a tiny guitar (or capo'd 12 string).

If I were in your shoes, which I'm not, Id save my money.

Thanks for the info I have decided against this one, I am now looking at the Epiphone MM-40 F Style comes with a hard case for 1150 Canadian it is new. what are your thoughts on this one?

Quote Originally Posted by Gillie View Post
    Thanks for the info I have decided against this one, I am now looking at the Epiphone MM-40 F Style comes with a hard case for 1150 Canadian it is new. what are your thoughts on this one?
    What are you looking for in a mandolin, to play plugged in. Do you want to sound acoustic or electric? The Epiphone from what I have heard sounds electric. You can put a pickup in any Mandolin, half that price, and have a quite nice acoustic sound. There are several mandolins that sound very nice for much less than 1150.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

Quote Originally Posted by pops1 View Post
    What are you looking for in a mandolin, to play plugged in. Do you want to sound acoustic or electric? The Epiphone from what I have heard sounds electric. You can put a pickup in any Mandolin, half that price, and have a quite nice acoustic sound. There are several mandolins that sound very nice for much less than 1150.
    I love the sound unplugged, if I have to get volume I can use a mic, the tough part of buying online is you can't play it to hear what they sound like. Living in Canada hurts as well as our dollar sucks right now, so even shipping one up here the cost starts to rise in a hurry, I am not opposed to trying something different, I currently own a Chinese cheapy 100 bucks but it was a good starter to see if I really wanted to keep playing. I have been playing guitar for many moons time to change it up. I have been looking for all and any sales but just can't find an F Style that I like.

I am sure you have heard this many times, but an A will get you more bang for your buck. The Epiphone I believe is not a carved top like Eastman, Kentucky, The Loar and several others. There are several that when properly set up sound quite well despite their modest price. Where in Canada are you?
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

I might take a step back and narrow down the type of mandolin that you want first. Then you should be able to get a "top" list together. Most of the popular mandolins should be available in Canada, it will just take a bit longer to find them.
    Robert Fear
    http://www.folkmusician.com

"Education is when you read the fine print; experience is what you get when you don't.
    " - Pete Seeger

Quote Originally Posted by pops1 View Post
    I am sure you have heard this many times, but an A will get you more bang for your buck. The Epiphone I believe is not a carved top like Eastman, Kentucky, The Loar and several others. There are several that when properly set up sound quite well despite their modest price. Where in Canada are you?
    I am in Medicine Hat Alberta about 3 hours from Calgary

Quote Originally Posted by Folkmusician.com View Post
    I might take a step back and narrow down the type of mandolin that you want first. Then you should be able to get a "top" list together. Most of the popular mandolins should be available in Canada, it will just take a bit longer to find them.
    I definitely am in the market for the F Style, one guy has a Samick Florentine Style Mandolin that I am interested in he is about 7 hours away. he is asking 700

===========

A few years ago I played with a guy who had an Ibanez M510E acoustic/electric . . . it wasn't bad at all, especially for $200.

13. The following members say thank you to MikeZito for this post:

Gillie 

See if you can find an Eastman 315 to check out. I have one that I bought to use as a beater, but it is a very good mandolin, especially for the price. All solid, carved woods, comfortable neck with a radiused FB, and very nice tone. Tuners, bridge, and tailpiece are $$ savers, but functional; I’ve not changed any of them out yet. IMHO, much more mandolin than any recent Washburn, Samick, Fender, or Epiphone I’ve played. Not sure how the cost translates into Canadian dollars, but they sell new for $699 in the US with an unimpressive gig bag. I bought mine new on clearance for well below that price at a big box store, and they sell used for 400-500 with some frequency. If you can find one, you’ll be happy, I suspect. And, you’ll come in less expensive even if you add a new case and a pickup, though I’ve opted for using a mic for my mandolins thus far (when I play out it’s in church, so an SM-57 or Rode NT-1 do quite nicely)...bon chance!
    Chuck

Quote Originally Posted by Gillie View Post
    I love the sound unplugged, if I have to get volume I can use a mic, the tough part of buying online is you can't play it to hear what they sound like. Living in Canada hurts as well as our dollar sucks right now, so even shipping one up here the cost starts to rise in a hurry, I am not opposed to trying something different, I currently own a Chinese cheapy 100 bucks but it was a good starter to see if I really wanted to keep playing. I have been playing guitar for many moons time to change it up. I have been looking for all and any sales but just can't find an F Style that I like.
    If you love the sound unplugged, really unplugged, as do I, you don't want a pick up, you don't even want a mic that clips on the mandolin. Neither sounds natural or unplugged IMHO. Also remember a mandolin of about the same quality as a guitar will cost you twice as much, probably a little more if you have to have a F style. Personally I buy a mandolin for the sound, not the looks

===========

. . . for a decent and 'affordable' f-style, there is this review:

https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/s...50-Park-Avenue