Thread: Old Time Players Decatur Ga.

Default Old Time Players Decatur Ga.

Seeking other old time players in the Decatur area. I'm primarily a mandolin player, can do okay back-up on guitar and OWN a nice open back(let's just leave it there for now). Looking for some weekday or weekend evening players, preferably folks I haven't played with. Please have at least a small assortment of tunes you are proficient with. On a scale of 1-5 please be at least a C+. Would like to find a public place to play(maybe even get some food out of it!)
    '84 Flatiron A5-1 '85 Kentucky KM1500 '86 Flatiron a5-jr '27 Gibson A-jr '88 Flatiron Cadet..MAS anyone?

Default Re: Old Time Players Decatur Ga.

I live a thousand miles away, but I don't want you to think we're all ignoring you at Mandolin Cafe. My buddy plays in a string band (with a mandolin player, I'm afraid) in Atlanta, so there are people down there who share your interest. I guess you'll have to try Kijiji or rent a billboard. Good luck.
    Robert Johnson's mother, describing blues musicians:
    "I never did have no trouble with him until he got big enough to be round with bigger boys and off from home. Then he used to follow all these harp blowers, mandoleen (sic) and guitar players."
    Lomax, Alan, The Land where The Blues Began, NY: Pantheon, 1993, p.14.

I really look like that soliver's Avatar

If you’re willing to drive a little ways there’s a Jam on the square in Marietta every Tuesday at the Australian Bakery. It’s primarily BG, but all types of music is played there. OT, Fiddle tunes, BG and occasionally some classic rock. People show up as early as 6:00 and play until 10:30 or 11:00. I am there just about every Tuesday usually from 7:00 or 8:00 to as late as I can stand.

It’s a great group of folks for sure and as it starts to warm up there will be more and more people coming!
    aka: Spencer
    Silverangel Econo A #429
    Soliver #001 & #002: A double stack of Pancakes.

Soliver Hand Crafted Mandolins and Mandolin Armrests
    Armrests Here -- Mandolins Here

"You can never cross the ocean unless you have the courage
    to lose sight of the shore, ...and also a boat with no holes in it.” -anonymous

Quote Originally Posted by soliver View Post
    If you’re willing to drive a little ways there’s a Jam on the square in Marietta every Tuesday at the Australian Bakery. It’s primarily BG, but all types of music is played there. OT, Fiddle tunes, BG and occasionally some classic rock. People show up as early as 6:00 and play until 10:30 or 11:00. I am there just about every Tuesday usually from 7:00 or 8:00 to as late as I can stand.

It’s a great group of folks for sure and as it starts to warm up there will be more and more people coming!

Thank you, have been up there several times, kind of a haul for me, especially on week nights.
    '84 Flatiron A5-1 '85 Kentucky KM1500 '86 Flatiron a5-jr '27 Gibson A-jr '88 Flatiron Cadet..MAS anyone?

I really look like that soliver's Avatar

I think we may have exchanged a couple of PM’s before.

I’m there every Tuesday, so if you decide to come, shoot me a PM!
    aka: Spencer
    Silverangel Econo A #429
    Soliver #001 & #002: A double stack of Pancakes.

Soliver Hand Crafted Mandolins and Mandolin Armrests
    Armrests Here -- Mandolins Here

"You can never cross the ocean unless you have the courage
    to lose sight of the shore, ...and also a boat with no holes in it.” -anonymous

Quote Originally Posted by soliver View Post
    I think we may have exchanged a couple of PM’s before.

I’m there every Tuesday, so if you decide to come, shoot me a PM!
    We have, and I will, thanks!

I'm not from around there, but the name Decatur rang a bell. I think Mick Kinney is from around there. This article is old, but I saw him performing with his family, maybe last year?

http://georgiamusic.org/man-out-of-time/

Don't know anything about this, but found via a google search. Looks like maybe he teaches (scroll down):
    http://elisewitt.com/web/elise-witt-mick-kinney/

Hey Sumibuilt,
    I’m over in Carrollton, but wouldn’t mind making the trek to Decatur for some pickin. I’ve got a good handful of OT tunes and feel like I’m at least a solid B...I’ve also got a good friend who plays OT fiddle here in Carrollton and another friend who is a stellar OT fiddler (Max Godfrey) that is in the Atlanta area.

Mick and his boys are great musicians, a little out of my league.

Quote Originally Posted by sumibuilt View Post
    Mick and his boys are great musicians, a little out of my league.
    I was thinking more that it is proof that the music lives in the area, at least. A lesson or two also might be a way to make some connections.