Thread: Carter Vintage Review

Default Carter Vintage Review

I have been without a mandolin for some time. I was finally able to shop for one in a fairly small price range. I went to see my longtime friends, Walter and Christie. I had a wonderful experience from top to bottom. Everyone there was very helpful. I have to use a wheelchair to get around and the whole staff was a great help. I was pretty sure I wanted a particular mandolin I saw on their website. They quickly found it for me and showed me others similar to what I asked about. They were very patient. Paul, also an old friend, was my salesman. I chose the mandolin I went in to see, and I am very happy with the mandolin and the entire deal. I was able to purchase a Gibson Sam Bush model. It is 14 years old, has some wear marks and has been played a lot. It needed some set up work, which I did myself, and that was it. It sounds and plays just as I have dreamed for the past several years. My chops are not that good after not playing for a good while, but they are coming back.

I will recommend Carter Vintage to all who ask, as I have for the past few years. Both Walter and Christy took a bit of time to see me and catch up on things. I want to thank them for a very wonderful experience from start to finish. They did everything they could to help me make a purchase that was really over my head. I hope they are blessed for many years!
    Last edited by MikeEdgerton; Mar-23-2018 at 7:49am. Reason: Fixed some typos
    Have a Great Day!
    Joe Vest

2. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Big Joe For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Blog Entries

Default Re: Carter Vintage Review

Very nice post, I hope I can make it happen and get down there for a visit and to play a bunch of goodies. I've heard from others that all are great hosts even if you don't make a purchase. I would also like to check out Gruhns, I heard both shops are close to each other?
    Congrats on the Gibson F-5 purchase, very nice, I've never played a Bush model.

Registered User grassrootphilosopher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Big Joe View Post
    I have been without a mandolin for some time. ... I hope they are blessed for many years!
    You have been a true mandolin and Gibson ambassador as far as I have noticed you participating here on Mandolin Cafe. Good health and all the best to you for the future.
    Olaf

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to grassrootphilosopher For This Useful Post:

It's good to see you again Joe.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

Gibson F5L Gibson A5L
    Blog Entries

Whether to visit, read window shop, or purchase .... Walter , Christie and staff have always been personable , helpful and informative. It just doesn't get any better IMO for an instrument store.
    Enjoy that Gibson Big Joe ..... glad to see your post.
    I love hanging out with mandolin nerds . . . . . Thanks peeps ...

Congratulations, Big Joe! Glad to hear you’re picking again!! Peace,
    Chuck

Isn’t it great getting a mandolin you’ve been eyeing for while congrats on your Sam Bush model ! My favorite Gibson model and Carter’s is a very very cool store great people there and a selection of mandolins that I would think has to be the best in Country possible world ?
    Lou

Glad to hear you got the mandolin you wanted Joe. Thanks for the update and the Carter Vintage review.
    I would not have imagined you being without a mandolin for any length of time. Glad things are back to normal!
    "I play BG so that's what I can talk intelligently about." A line I loved and pirated from Mandoplumb

11. The following members say thank you to FLATROCK HILL for this post:

Loarcutus of MandoBorg DataNick's Avatar

Good on you Big Joe...very cool that you were able to get a Sam Bush F5...thanks for checking in!
    1994 Gibson F5L - Weber signed

"Mandolin brands are a guide, not gospel! I don't drink koolaid and that Emperor is naked!"
    "If you wanna get soul Baby, you gots to get the scroll..."
    "I would rather play music anyday for the beggar, the thief, and the fool!"
    "Perfection is not attainable; but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence" Vince Lombardi
    Playing Style: RockMonRoll Desperado Bluegrass Desperado YT Channel

two t's and one hyphen fatt-dad's Avatar

that would be the Gibson f-model for me too! Big fan-boy of Sam Bush! It was he, more than Monroe or Grisman, that got the mandolin on my for-real radar. Not that I ever thought I could play like Sam. I just really loved his musical statement!

Congratulations to Big Joe!

f-d
    ˇpapá gordo ain’t no madre flaca!

'20 A3, '30 L-1, '97 914, 2012 Cohen A5, 2012 Muth A5, '14 OM28A

14. The following members say thank you to fatt-dad for this post: