Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Guitar Center article

Default Guitar Center article

https://www.dailynews.com/2018/03/20...usical-tastes/

Ratings agency S&P Global downgraded Westlake Village-based Guitar Center Holdings Inc. for the second time last week as the troubled instrument retailer seeks to refinance and restructure more than $1 billion of debt.

I have three or four guitar students who are about 12 to 14 years old, and I told one of them she should find someone in her class to play guitar with. She said, ‘No one else plays the guitar, and people think I’m weird because I do.’ ”
    Last edited by B381; Mar-21-2018 at 6:38pm.

Default Re: Guitar Center article

Tell her they are weird because they don't. Every child should have some kind of music requirement in school just like math, science and english.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

3. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to pops1 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by pops1 View Post
    Tell her they are weird because they don't. Every child should have some kind of music requirement in school just like math, science and english.
    +1
    If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a vet.

===========

It seems to me that the guy who wrote this article is of the impression that most of Guitar Center's business is selling guitars - when in truth they sell just about anything and everything that is music related. To say that the chain is in trouble because nobody wants to play the guitar anymore is just plain ignorance.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeZito View Post
    It seems to me that the guy who wrote this article is of the impression that most of Guitar Center's business is selling guitars - when in truth they sell just about anything and everything that is music related. To say that the chain is in trouble because nobody wants to play the guitar anymore is just plain ignorance.
    I've been there on Friday evenings when there has been multiple people in line buying fog machine juice.

7. The following members say thank you to Seter for this post:

In the fifties the only music that was going to survive was rock and roll. Old time, country, bluegrass would all cease to exist in ten years. Well they didn't and string music and the guitar will keep plugging on. I'm 64 years old and when I was starting out, at about 13, playing BG people were saying there is no young people interested in this music anymore. Guess what I still hear the same statements. Some stores may go out of business because they will not or can not adapt but someone will always sell guitars and mandolins.

9. The following members say thank you to Mandoplumb for this post:

The biggest problem is we have way too much retail capacity. The USA and Canada average 7.3 square feet of retail space per capita. That’s well in excess of the 1.7 square feet per capita in Japan and France, and the U.K.’s 1.3 square feet. The internet is still only less than 5% of retail sales. The problem is we have too many stores selling the same product.

Articles on Guitar Center closing seem to spring up every couple months or so, somewhere. Everytime I go there, it is packed and I have to wait in line to give them money. Doesn't seem like they are hurting, at least to the casual observer. Lots of employees running around everywhere back and forth, not sure what is going on with that? People don't understand that businesses can refinance, borrow, restructure, etc. for 20-30 years without going out of business. The only issue is the finance charges and interest, which will probably never get paid, at least by the current ownership.....

Similar articles spring up about Gibson all the time.....

I didn't understand what School of Rock had to do with the article, other than supposedly they are doing well.

I didn't understand the comment about square footage, either. In the USA and Canada we have plenty of land, so square footage isn't an issue. Most malls are built on land purchased from a farmer. Then the land around the mall is sold to places who rent to stores like Best Buy, Olive Garden, Guitar Center, etc. where it is even cheaper......has nothing to do with Japan's lack of space. Certainly not a problem in the USA.

I have never been in or seen a guitar center. I just did a search for the farthest distance, 100 miles, zip, nada. Guess it is no wonder, they don't exist here. Course I am in the boonies, we don't have TV reception, but that doesn't bother me either.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

I once heard that with so many stores, part of their sales strategy was that nowhere in the country was more than 100 miles from a guitar center. That may have been a slight exaggeration, not sure where I heard it, but it is close to the truth. NFI, but if you go on a regular basis there are many bargains that never make it to the online listings, in my experience. Also, many things are purchased cheap and sold cheap, due to lack of knowledge on the part of their buyers. An example might be something like a boutique telecaster clone being sold as a "partscaster." Sometimes things like vintage hardshell cases will get sold for as little as $20 (and could be worth hundreds.) OTOH, I've had good luck selling guitars and amps to guitar center, once you get a feel for how high they are willing to go. (usually it is 60-70 percent of their selling price) Guitar Center often gets badmouthed on this and other forums for being too corporate or their employees lack of knowledge, which may be true, but it is also something you can use to your advantage, IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by pops1 View Post
    Sadly Music is one of the first things cut from school curriculum when it comes to budget cuts.

I was in a guitar center once...idiots!
    It would be amazing to see better music and theatre programs in schools but, athletics will always get the money.
    My high school had FIVE gymnasiums and not even a stage in the cafeteria! It was thirty years after I graduated before they built a theatre, sports will always beat out the arts, sad but, true.
    Don’t let me get started on English!
    Timothy F. Lewis
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease a very big skillet" J.D. Clampett

Quote Originally Posted by mee View Post
    Sadly Music is one of the first things cut from school curriculum when it comes to budget cuts.
    If they don't teach music any better than they teach math and English they may as well drop it. They would just teach kids to hate music.

17. The following members say thank you to Mandoplumb for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Timbofood View Post
    I was in a guitar center once...idiots!
    !
    your mileage may vary but...I have 3 GCs within 30 miles. One is a 5 minute drive. I go there quite often. There are a few truths about guitar centers:
    1) they have high turnover. it is commission sales and only a few do really well
    2) the knowledge of the staff varies widely from touring, talented musicians whom can take their instrument apart, put it back together and play circles around me on down to people who might put a bass guitar in the electric section and not recognize they did something wrong.
    3) the demeanor and helpfulness of the staff depends on management at the store. In Beaverton and Clackamas I routinely am asked if they can help, if there is one I want to play test, etc. I have gotten great service and technical knowledge.
    At Hayden Island the only time I have had someone talk to me was when I was checking out with a small purchase. Except for the one time I wanted to try a Resonator out and the guy who got it for me spent the whole time I had to test it playing riffs from his album.
    4) They have the best costs up front but taking into account the need to get your instrument set up...may not be as cheap as you think. When I bought my telecaster it was from an outfit that set up every guitar before I went out the door, came with free re-stringing for life...and went out of business 6 months later.

I have visited Guitar Centers in Phoenix, Lincoln, NE, LA, Seattle, and Las Vegas. They vary widely in friendliness and knowledge...all depends on who is working there that day.

I will say I do not envy them their jobs. Because of their famously generous return policy, low costs, and wide variety of equipment, it is not unusual to wander in and have some hotshot with amp cranked to 9, distortion to 10, cranking out what he thinks are sizzling riffs that are so hard to hear you can't tell if he is trying Mozart or Metallica...

and I have seen people be pretty abusive of them for no reason.

I have no skin in the game. I don't work at GC, I don't have stock in them, and I buy more stuff from Five Star Guitars, Portland Music Company, and a couple smaller places.

But I do disagree strongly with a blanket assessment of them as idiots. My experience overall has been quite the opposite and, in fact, no better and no worse than the multitude of other music stores I frequent.

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Drew Barton For This Useful Post:

I patronize Guitar Center and Musician's Friend for the stuff they're good at selling: PA paraphernalia (cables, mic stands, microphones etc.0, guitar stands, harmonicas, and such like. I don't expect them to have employees who are really knowledgeable -- even as much as I am -- about mandolins, banjos, resonator guitars -- the kind of instruments I might be interested in purchasing. I especially don't expect comprehensive knowledge of "vintage" instruments; for that, I go to one of the good vintage dealers in my area.

And I still try to give most of my business to non-chain stores; we have a really good little sound-system-oriented store here in Rochester, Sound Source, and I'm likely to take my PA-component business there; they also do repairs, and I can get an XLR connector replaced on a cable without having to spring for a whole new one.

But I do think Guitar Center has its niche; for example, it has a good selection of teach-yourself books if you want to be a rock-n-roller. Our local one stocks a nice, though limited, selection of higher-end Martin, Taylor and Gibson acoustic guitars, with a nice sound-proof room to try them out. The inventory of mandolins and banjos is nearly non-existent, though there are a few Gretsch instruments in stock.

My overall take is, "Don't knock them for not being something they're not." Appreciate their recurrent sales, when you can pick up some gear for near-wholesale prices. Get your mandolins and related stuff from dealers who know them, can answer your questions, and have a real selection so it's not "this one or nothing."
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

21. The following members say thank you to allenhopkins for this post:

They have massive debt.
    Guitar sales are definitely down. I am not sure about things aside from Stringed instruments.
    Margins are down. Price matching when it is so easy to shop online must have at least some impact. Hard when margins are thin to begin with.
    Cheaper instruments are getting better and better, meaning lower average ticket prices.
    Amazon is chipping away. When you read statistics on amazon, remember, that half their sales are via Third party, and these are not always reported as "Amazon sales" So when Amazon has a 15% marketshare, they may really account for 30%. Amazon's third party program has been so successful, that others are jumping on the bandwagon (Walmart).

You would think that they can find a way to survive, but then the same can be said for Toys R Us.
    Robert Fear
    http://www.folkmusician.com

"Education is when you read the fine print; experience is what you get when you don't.
    " - Pete Seeger

23. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Folkmusician.com For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Barton View Post
    ... At Hayden Island the only time I have had someone talk to me was when I was checking out with a small purchase...
    Born and raised in Portland, been gone over 40 years. This is the first time I've ever seen the name Hayden Island ever on the web. Carry on.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

25. The following members say thank you to MikeEdgerton for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Folkmusician.com View Post
    Guitar sales are definitely down. I am not sure about things aside from Stringed instruments...
    Went into a GC once with my kids to see what they had (one decent used flamenco gtr).

One end of the store was the wall hung with the rainbow color spectrum of electrics, drums, cymbals.. The other side of the store was the EDM/tech room. Appeared as though they had plenty of merch besides guitars.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeEdgerton View Post
    Born and raised in Portland, been gone over 40 years. This is the first time I've ever seen the name Hayden Island ever on the web. Carry on.
    <checks Google Maps> (spent ages 12-17 in Portland area, 1977-1982)

It's not at Jantzen Beach though, it's not actually on Hayden Island. It's right by Portland Meadows, a place called Hayden Meadows Square.

Quote Originally Posted by jefflester View Post
    <checks Google Maps> (spent ages 12-17 in Portland area, 1977-1982)

It's not at Jantzen Beach though, it's not actually on Hayden Island. It's right by Portland Meadows, a place called Hayden Meadows Square.
    Did even bother to look

Most of what's there wasn't there when I was there.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

Quote Originally Posted by MikeEdgerton View Post
    Did even bother to look

Most of what's there wasn't there when I was there.
    Portland in no way, shape or form resembles PDX of 82. The influx of people from California and Colorado in particular but also from many other areas has fundamentally changed the look and feel of the place. Neither good nor bad, just reality. Their name in the app though is Hayden Island which I never knew until the app...and I still live here :-)

I may have been caught in sweeping generalization of the place but, here in Kalamazoo, the folks could not find their back side with both hands and a roadmap! Whatever, good experiences do happen all the time, I was simply severely under impressed with snotty attitude and lack of knowledge at this one, I’m sure there are better stores with better staff, this ain’t it!
    Timothy F. Lewis

Timbo, YMMV, but I've been to a bunch of guitar centers and sure, it is basically Walmart for guitars. The difference is that they buy vintage and used stuff everyday and there are some real bargains if you look for them, IMHO. A lot of the $50 and $100 instruments don't even make it to the wall rack. They "lean" them up against the counter near the door hoping for a quick sale and it usually works due to a cheap price. To my way of thinking, there is a gray area where a used instruments can be borderline worthless junk or vintage collectible depending on the way it is marketed and presented. Guitar Center consistently ignores this market -- or don't want to be bothered with it. Hint -- many of these bargains can be listed on eBay and your purchase price can be tripled or quadrupled, if you take the time to do the work. They are just going for the quick sale and don't really want this type of merchandise cluttering up their walls. This stuff never makes it to the online listings. Same with the used/vintage stuff actually on the floor for sale. For example, many vintage blacktop era Fender amps are underpriced. (even though they are expensive) These are quick sellers on eBay, if you know what to look for and follow that market.

To be clear, I have no interest in 98 percent of the stuff they sell. I'm not into new stuff. I don't need a new Martin or Fender. I've got plenty of stuff already to play. What I am looking for is stuff I can resell for a profit and they are a good source for that -- if you know what to look for. My only beef is that the nearest guitar center to me is an hour and 15 minutes away, which means I only get there once every two weeks or so. Everytime I go, I make money. If it was closer I would go everyday. I'm sure there are thousands of dollars falling through the cracks every month that somebody is getting. Wish it were me!

That's my take on GC. I recently asked one of the managers if they still had all those annoying kids packing the place on Saturday's and playing too loud -- he said, "I was one of those kids!"

You may well be right Jeff, it’s not a project I think I will be undertaking. Not in the budget or desire. To paraphrase Woodrow F. Call:
    “I can’t tolerate rude behavior in a man, I just won’t stand for it.” I’m not one to quirt someone near to death over it but, I have been known to turn on my heel and walk out.
    There was a shop just down the street I strolled into, saw a mandolin on the wall (don’t remember what it was but, nothing seriously tasty) took a few minutes to reset the bridge a little then retune and started to play it a little, and the horse shoe clerk came over and had the cojones to say “Don’t you think that’s about enough?” I told him exactly which case he should stick the POS in and never went back. A couple of months the place went under, that’s what “new management” can do to an old established business.
    Crappy employees do not make a good impression or basis for a successful business model.
    Timothy F. Lewis

33. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Timbofood For This Useful Post:

I had a fun experience with a Guitar center employee at a local open mike. He came in telling everyone who would listen that he was a hot shot because he worked at Guitar Center. When he got up to do his set EVERY SINGLE SONG he retuned his guitar, lecturing the audience "Can't you hear how out of tune that is? It must be because I work at Guitar Center my ears can hear that."

After the open mike was over several of us sat down to jam. I was on guitar and we had a pretty good mandolin player named Bobby, there who has unfortunately passed on since then. When it got to me I asked him "Do you know Soldier's Joy, Bobby?" He wasn't sure so I picked a couple of bars and he went "Oh yeah, I do" and took off like a rocket on it. The Guitar Center guys jaw dropped and he passed when it got to him in the circle. After a couple rounds he was a lot more humble and actually was a decent guy to pick with after that day.