Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Found my Bluechip pick after about 3 months M.I.A

Default Re: Found my Bluechip pick after about 3 months M.I.A

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Moss View Post
    I don't drive but I'm overboard OC about my wallet and house keys. I don't know that I want to be that way about a pick...
    There is an obvious solution to that, but I'll spell it out anyway. Keep your BC pick in your wallet.

I realize I'm also tempting fate with that earlier comment about knowing where my car keys are, since I hit 65 this summer.
    Lebeda F-5 mandolin, redwood top
    Weber Yellowstone F-5 octave mandolin

2. The following members say thank you to foldedpath for this post:

I wonder if it had been inside a book or magazine, and had just fallen out recently.

Quote Originally Posted by foldedpath View Post
    It's not that hard to hang on to a BC pick. You just learn to develop a fixed routine where you always know where your BC pick is. Doesn't matter what the routine is, as long as it's repeated every day.

I've had the same two BC picks for a few years now. Only lost one, years ago when I was still stupid about it, and loaned it out during a jam. I don't do that any more.

Do you often lose your car keys? A BC pick is smaller, but it's the same idea. Develop a routine, just like knowing where your car keys are every day. You won't lose it.
    This only works for so long, then you get to a certain age, your fly gets left open, you walk into a room to look for something and can't remember what. You go to the store for three things and have to call home for one of them, and most recently after four decades of habitually latching at least three latches of a case, not latching any of them.

I do hang onto my BC pick though. So far.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Br1ck For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Br1ck View Post
    This only works for so long, then you get to a certain age, your fly gets left open, you walk into a room to look for something and can't remember what. You go to the store for three things and have to call home for one of them, and most recently after four decades of habitually latching at least three latches of a case, not latching any of them.

I do hang onto my BC pick though. So far.
    Yeah, like I said a couple of posts above, I'm tempting fate with the car keys comment as I advance into geezerdom. I'm noticing a few lapses here and there, but I'm not at the wandering around with fly unzipped stage yet.

I like to think that attempting to memorize and recall a large repertoire of Irish/Scottish trad tunes is a good exercise for retaining brain function, but it's probably just wishful thinking. I'll be that guy wandering around whistling 100 trad tunes at the age of 80, wandering around with my fly unzipped.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to foldedpath For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Ostrander View Post
    Maybe we should super glue our picks to our fingers....

That would make certain hygenic functions a real adventure.
    And typing. Touch-typing would no longer be an easy thing. Might have to invent a new keyboard with extra-large keys, or something.

Quote Originally Posted by Br1ck View Post
    ... you get to a certain age, your fly gets left open, you walk into a room to look for something and can't remember what. You go to the store for three things and have to call home for one of them, ...
    I'm too literal-minded... I envisioned someone doing *all* of those things on the same day, with the fly open the entire time.

Where's that thread from a couple years ago where someone posted various pictures of a flatpick hidden on a rug or other surface, and the challenge for the rest of us was to try to find where it was hidden in the picture?

I tried Google, must not be using the right search terms... I can't remember the exact name of the thread. I tried searching for:

find hidden pick
    find missing pick
    find blue chip
    etc

Maybe someone remembers that thread and can find it? As I recall, it was kinda fun.

but that's just me Bertram Henze's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by foldedpath View Post
    There is an obvious solution to that, but I'll spell it out anyway. Keep your BC pick in your wallet.
    ...causing the pick to get lost anyway and taking the wallet with it. No way around the Riches Repellant Rule.
    the world is better off without bad ideas, good ideas are better off without the world

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	L1020299 (1).jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	54.5 KB 
ID:	166149
    I play mostly with the Bluechip (now that I found it) and the wegens, sometimes the Dunlop, the rest
    and many more, just gathered over the years.

Blog Entries

I am amazed at the tone and the feel of my new CT55. I am a big fan of V Picks-- my favorite is the blue SAGA mandolin pick (triangle, rounded bevel 1.5 mm). I thought the V Picks were hard to drop! I have played the CT55 for two weeks and it never leaves my hand during my practice sessions. I keep in under the strings at the 4th fret. Glad you found yours! Thanks for the smile this thread brought.

I always put my CT55 away in its special case when I'm not using it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	004.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	150.6 KB 
ID:	166150  

15. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Hudmister For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Hudmister View Post
    I always put my CT55 away in its special case when I'm not using it.
    I wonder if they could make a mandolin case with a case like yours attached, kinda like a mandolin/violin case.

Quote Originally Posted by peterleyenaar View Post
    Unbelievable!, found my Bluechip TPR45 after missing it for about 3 months.
    looked everywhere , all over the house on hands and knees, pulled all the cushions from
    the couch and chairs, thinking I left it at a jam,did the dogs ate it ?, there it was, as I was having my morning coffee with my 2 dogs on the couch, my eye caught something shiny
    on the persian rug, a bluechip pick.
    How this is possible , I shall never know, as I vacuum that rug at least twice a week, anyway it was like finding $40.
    ........:
    So, can come over and find mine
    Not all the clams are at the beach

Arrow Manouche
    Arrow Jazzbo
    Arrow G
    Clark 2 point
    Gibson F5L
    Gibson A-4
    Ratliff CountryBoy A

Gee, I wonder why haven't Hoffee or Calton produced carbon-fiber or fiberglass flight cases specifically for BlueChip picks by now?!

Maybe we should start a Kickstarter campaign to develop and manufacture the PickVault, consisting of a bulletproof, waterproof pick case, equipped with a high-tech security closure that's opened only with your personal biometric, with integrated Bluetooth/WiFi capability? You would attach a tiny RF tag to your pick (or get the BlueChip folks to embed it at purchase time, at the same time they do the custom engraving of your initials). You purchase a PickVault and then pair it with your pick (or picks) during installation. Thereafter, if your BlueChip equipped with the RF tag is not replaced inside the PickVault after you're done playing, a warning alarm is sounded. And ditto, if the pick is ever moved too far away from the Pick Vault. You could also use the "Find My Pick" app on your smartphone (with a small monthly subscription fee), which would come free with every purchase of the PickVault.

I smell a business opportunity! We can disrupt the entire market!! Who wants to invest?

P.S. We can also sell data on every place that your pick has been with you. And from the timing information on your pickstrokes, our algorithms will be able to determine the name of every tune you've played. And how good a player you are. And our predictive AI will soon be able to tell when you next suffer from MAS.

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sblock For This Useful Post:

I kinda think the Bluechip company is not toooo unhappy with people loosing their bluechip picks, otherwise they'd have white ones like the Wegens

Quote Originally Posted by peterleyenaar View Post
    I kinda think the Bluechip company is not toooo unhappy with people loosing their bluechip picks, otherwise they'd have white ones like the Wegens
    At least they're not going the V - Pick route...
    We are the music makers,
    And we are the dreamers of dreams

The way things are going, I expect to see BC picks offered with embedded RFID chips in a few years, so they're easier to find with an app on your smartphone.

Quote Originally Posted by Louise NM View Post
    I wonder if it had been inside a book or magazine, and had just fallen out recently.
    You are probably right, I usually have some music books laying around, sometimes the dogs need quick attention and I don't have time to store the pick in the strings as I normally do and I quickly put the mandolin and pick on the coffee table, from there it could have
    ended up in a book and luckily fell on the rug where I saw it.(I guess one has to look where it is

24. The following members say thank you to peterleyenaar for this post:

Some people say "It's always the last place you look." I guess that's true. Only a few OC sufferers keep looking after they find it.
    We are the music makers,

26. The following members say thank you to Roger Moss for this post:

Some people say "It's always the last place you look." I guess that's true. Only a few OC sufferers keep looking after they find it.
    Yeah except they're saying it wrong. I've always heard, "It's always the last place you'd think to look." That little detail makes a big difference in the meaning.

Quote Originally Posted by JL277z View Post
    Yeah except they're saying it wrong. I've always heard, "It's always the last place you'd think to look." That little detail makes a big difference in the meaning.
    "They" say it a lot of different ways. "You" heard it one way. "I" heard it another.
    We are the music makers,

"They" say it a lot of different ways. "You" heard it one way. "I" heard it another.
    True that common sayings often get warped out of shape over time, such that they no longer make sense when read literally. Your earlier comment about someone continuing to look even after the item was found, would seem to indicate that you too thought that a literal interpretation of the phrase didn't make sense. My point was simply agreeing with you about that, and giving an earlier version of the phrase where it *did* make sense.

True that common sayings often get warped out of shape over time, such that they no longer make sense when read literally. Your earlier comment about someone continuing to look even after the item was found, would seem to indicate that you too thought that a literal interpretation of the phrase didn't make sense. My point was simply agreeing with you about that, and giving an earlier version of the phrase where it *did* make sense.
    Point tsken. Thanks for not flaming me oover it.
    We are the music makers,

31. The following members say thank you to Roger Moss for this post:

I found one in the mail yesterday. How lucky is that? Lp
    J.Lane Pryce

33. The following members say thank you to Lane Pryce for this post:

but that's just me Bertram Henze's Avatar

Not much difference in my case. I don't make a plan for the search. When I lose something...

#1 I think about where to look for it next.
    #2 I don't find it there
    #3 go to #1

the world is better off without bad ideas, good ideas are better off without the world