Thread: hassle buying mandolin

Unhappy hassle buying mandolin

Very much appreciate advice. here's the situation: In a family of musicians, do not own a mandolin. Wanted to buy a mandolin for my 17 year old daughter for xmas. Have lots of guitars, and always appreciated the pickup in them so I thought the same thing would be good in mandolin . didn't want to buy the cheapest, but didn't want to go nuts so I thought around $500. Ordered one of these from guitar Center, waited forever, was just informed that it is discontinued.
    Washburn M3SWE F-Style Acoustic-Electric Mandolin with Case. What a hassle. So question, do the mandolin pickups work well like acoustic guitar pickup? or do they need a preamp which I've found can be a pain. We usually end up performing with our instruments, so I reasoned a pickup would be wise. And any recommendations for a mandolin $5-600? Thank you very much

Default Re: hassle buying mandolin

Quote Originally Posted by Kinswood View Post
    Very much appreciate advice. here's the situation: In a family of musicians, do not own a mandolin. Wanted to buy a mandolin for my 17 year old daughter for xmas. Have lots of guitars, and always appreciated the pickup in them so I thought the same thing would be good in mandolin . didn't want to buy the cheapest, but didn't want to go nuts so I thought around $500. Ordered one of these from guitar Center, waited forever, was just informed that it is discontinued.
    Washburn M3SWE F-Style Acoustic-Electric Mandolin with Case. What a hassle. So question, do the mandolin pickups work well like acoustic guitar pickup? or do they need a preamp which I've found can be a pain. We usually end up performing with our instruments, so I reasoned a pickup would be wise. And any recommendations for a mandolin $5-600? Thank you very much
    My experience with acoustic instruments is that yes ...you will be happier with the sound using a pre-amp whether using a mandolin , a fiddle , an acoustic guitar or whatever . Unless, of course, you are playing at a volume which allows you to use a microphone on your instruments. MOST ( not all ) lower priced instruments boasting pickups will use a relatively inexpensive built -in piezo pickup which , while efficient enough ,won't do a lot for the sound of your instrument even with a pre-amp built into your instrument .I say MOST because I've played some higher end acoustic guitars with very impressive built -in PU systems which usually incorporate a mic as well .

I've been using an LR Baggs Radius mic-type pickup on my mando with great success along with a small inexpensive Behringer pre-amp/DI box . I work at " bluegrass volumes " ....not ' rock volumes ' running through the front end ( no amp ) and have been very happy with this set-up.

Bottom line , in my opinion , is to make sure you like the mandolin you are using ( in your instance ) play-ability and sound-wise . Mic-ing and/or pre-amping for a really good sound can get expensive

Mandolins are loud and generally don’t need amplification unless she’s going to be competing with all the amps turned up to 10. Look thru the classifieds here for an Eastman or Kentucky. I have an Eastman 315 I got for around $450 and it’s a great mando, I don’t have any experience with the Kentucky’s but folks here like them.

The thing is...if you go this route and none of you take to the mando you will be able to sell it right back here and probably get most if not all of your money back. You’ll get a very nice mando and then decide if it’s something she/you like and then start looking to upgrade.
    Northfield F5M #268, AT02 #7

To echo Roysboy,

There are virtually no mandolin sized preamps that are good quality. This will be the main reason you won't find many mandolins with a good onboard preamp. Passive systems with volume, and tone controls should be avoided. That leaves mandolins with a good quality PASSIVE pickup installed with no onboard controls.

There are three brands of mandolins that stand out and are the most commonly recommended. Eastman, Kentucky, The Loar. Eastman and The Loar, both offer pickup options that use high quality pickups. Eastman's will be out of your price range. You can get a Partially laminated The Loar with a Fishman for under $500.

You can get any of these as an acoustic and then add the pickup. This opens up Kentucky choices.

Any passive pickup is going to benefit from a good preamp. it isn't absolutely necessary, but it will sound better with one.
    Robert Fear
    http://www.folkmusician.com

"Education is when you read the fine print; experience is what you get when you don't.
    " - Pete Seeger

5. The following members say thank you to Folkmusician.com for this post:

Even though I have a K&K installed. I much prefer a mic and will always try my hardest to use one unless environment becomes an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom C View Post
    Even though I have a K&K installed. I much prefer a mic and will always try my hardest to use one unless environment becomes an issue.
    I prefer a mic to the point that if I can't be heard without one I'll put the mandolin in the case and go home. Never seen a pick up that contributed anything but volume and I like the sound of a good mandolin.

Depending on the amplifier used you may or may not need a pre-amp. I have to Bigskygirl about needing a pickup: I am actually a bass player. The one gig I played mandolin on for one song the sound man forgot to turn the mic on. Apparently everyone heard me just fine. This was with electric guitars, electric bass and vocals to a crowd of about 200.

Quote Originally Posted by Nevin View Post
    Depending on the amplifier used you may or may not need a pre-amp. I have to Bigskygirl about needing a pickup: I am actually a bass player. The one gig I played mandolin on for one song the sound man forgot to turn the mic on. Apparently everyone heard me just fine. This was with electric guitars, electric bass and vocals to a crowd of about 200.
    The audience probably heard you better than your band mates and even you, a mandolin carries better than the other instruments, I don't know why. If you are outside and a ways from a band playing across the field you will hear the up right bass first the sound waves are longer on lower sounds, I've been told. As you walk nearer the band the next instrument you hear is probably the mandolin, pitched about the highest, don't know why but I've seen it many times.

It is amazing to me how many times I see passive piezo instruments plugged right into a mixing board. The resulting harsh brittle tone doesn't seem to bother a lot of people. It is loud after all. The impedance mismatch needs to be addressed. Preamp or DI, a passive system always need one. The exception is into an acoustic amplifier designed for this.

I'd spend as much on a mandolin as I could and worry about a pickup later. Much more important is the setup. You WON'T get a good playing instrument from Guitar Center. Buy from one of our sponsors. Also realize your $500 mandolin is the quality of a $250 guitar.

If a $250 guitar won't please you a $500 mandolin won't either. Buying a $750 mandolin in the classifieds here for $500 used would be a great way to go. You can get a free e book from Rob Meldrum that will give you enough info to set it up, but it will probably be pretty good already.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

11. The following members say thank you to Br1ck for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Br1ck View Post
    Also realize your $500 mandolin is the quality of a $250 guitar.

If a $250 guitar won't please you a $500 mandolin won't either.
    And yet it isn't the kiss of death, either. I have a $45 Rouge guitar. It took some massaging (straighten neck, drop saddle, new Nashville tuning strings) but now it plays like butter and don't sound too bad. The reputation of Rogue mandolins supports this. No, out of the box, even a decent mid-range instrument won't impress, but it doesn't disqualify them for someone willing to put in a little effort.
    (I'm not arguing with anybody. Just making a point).
    We are the music makers,
    And we are the dreamers of dreams

You might try a used Godin A8 mandolin - I think a new one is around $750+.

===========

Gretsch G9350 Park Avenue is a decent mandolin with a Fishman M300 Nashville piezo-ceramic pickup . . under $600.