Thread: Teaching a child bluegrass guitar

Default Teaching a child bluegrass guitar

Forgive me for this not being specifically mandolin related but i suspect there are many good suggestions that may come from within this group. My 8 year old granddaughter wants to learn to play bluegrass guitar and i am needing advise on teaching her. I have taught her the basic G chord shape and she seems to have natural timing. Would it be wise to teach her a simple “ boom-chick” rythm pattern eventually working on various chord shapes, or is there a better path. I bought her a baby taylor and it fits her perfectly. Thanks in advance for any insight you may have.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Timbro For This Useful Post:

Gibson F5L Gibson A5L
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Teaching a child bluegrass guitar

Good job Grandpa ..... Yup ... boom chick is a great place to start rhythm playing ,. You never stop using it and you have to alternate strings which is the beginning of flat picking / walking bass rhythms. If you give her a capo teach her Em C D F and Am she will be off and running. Timing is the first musical skill that some never master that is indeed a musical gift. Have you bought her a tuner? I can't imagine the fun you are having doing this. Keep us posted. R/
    I love hanging out with mandolin nerds . . . . . Thanks peeps ...

Tuner and capo are next. It was so cool last night she calls me and says “ papa, i was wondering if you wanted to come over to my house and pick”. Too cool.

5. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Timbro For This Useful Post:

Your granddaughter must be exceptional! I've taught a lot of children to play guitar over the past ten years and I haven't had an eight year old student that was able to make a three finger G chord.

Im probably biased, but it does seem to come easy for her. Here is an attempt at a video link about 15 minutes after i showed her G & C.

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...Jkdm9JMXdWR1l3

She does seem to have a flair for it!! I'm jealous ... my daughter shows no interest.

She's doing great! Using a capo was a brilliant idea. I have a seven year old student, with whom I'll try that this Monday.

Wow! She's doing very well! Looks like you have a "natural" on your hands!
    If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a vet.

Sounds great!

I'm not a music teacher, but I have 2 kids that play so take it for what it's worth Yeah, I think getting her to play rhythm from the start is a great idea. It's pretty much the foundation of music. From there you can show her some walk ups and turn arounds. The G run is always fun. If she has good chord rhythm, she can play with anybody. The tasty licks can follow later. There are thousands of 3 chord songs and the main thing is to have fun.

Does she have a teacher or study music at school?

Thanks for sharing!
    John
    ... not all those who wander are lost ...

She doesnt have a “teacher” ...just ol papa who plays a little bg guitar. She loves to play real songs... she loves “Dooley” so that may be the first actual tune we work on. Here’s a clip of last nights “practice” I think her timing is better than mine

https://photos.app.goo.gl/ZLpt6mU02eASHGk42
    Last edited by Timbro; Mar-22-2018 at 10:27am. Reason: Sp