Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New pickmaker (new to me)

Default New pickmaker (new to me)

Just spotted a new pick guy doing some nice custom shapes with interesting materials. No financial interest, just an FYI:

https://www.emlpicks.com/

Anyone have experience?

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mcgroup53 For This Useful Post:

Default Re: New pickmaker (new to me)

The most interesting to me are the PEEK ones. I wonder how they compare to BC's. Price is comparable or even higher than BC's.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20171027_033357_1024x1024@2x.jpg 
Views:	203 
Size:	344.9 KB 
ID:	166044

Polyether ether ketone (PEEK) is a colourless organic thermoplastic polymer in the polyaryletherketone (PAEK) family, used in engineering applications. It was originally introduced by Victrex PLC, then Imperial Chemical Industries (ICI) in the early 1980s.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

4. The following members say thank you to Jim Garber for this post:

Has anyone tried these, I wonder what they sound like. It would be interesting to compare these 3 to Wegen and BC.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

The Casein should be similar to Red Bear or John Pearse Fast Turtle.

Casein plastic (also known as galalith) is a very early form of plastic that, despite its own beauty and wonderful properties, has almost entirely fallen by the wayside in this day and age of petroleum based plastics. Formed by treating the ubiquitous milk protein casein with specific hardening agents, casein plastic has the good fortune of being able to imitate the look and (more importantly) the tone of real tortoiseshell to an uncanny degree.
    Polyester resin is the stuff you use to make plastic casting. I would guess that V-picks are similar.

Created from a specialty hardened polyester resin blend, these picks are bright, punchy, and deliver on volume. The mottled tortoiseshell effect they have by combining yellow-orange and black is visually striking, especially when used out in the sunshine.
    The PEEK is the most interesting to me and I don't know if it resembles anything else on the market in terms of using the same material, tho is might be somewhat similar to BC's (Meldin).

Short for Polyether ether ketone, PEEK is a semi-crystalline thermoplastic that is as impervious to wear as a material gets. It will take a heavy-handed approach and a very, very long amount of time before any wear to the bevels can be detected. Additionally, this material is the loudest of all three standard materials offered, making it an ideal pick material for easily cutting through the mix in an acoustic setting. Due to the material's hardness, the surfaces tend to retain a rough texture, while the bevels are polished to a smooth surface.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

7. The following members say thank you to Jim Garber for this post:

pops1 

I have two of his casein picks and they have become my go to. One for mandolin and one for Gypsy guitar rhythm. I've sold my BCs and my Red Bears. Eric's bevel was perfect right out of the pouch and great customer service.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mark Seale For This Useful Post:

Those thicknesses: 1.5-5mm?!

Way Thik Pix! (1.5 - 5.0 mm) is (0.060" - 0.200")!!!! My Bluechip CT55 is 0.055".

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Freeman View Post
    Those thicknesses: 1.5-5mm?!
    Yeah, there must be a market for the super-thick picks because a few makers have picks even thicker than that. I know V-Picks has one that's 11mm. But I don't understand not having anything less that 1.5 mm. Many acoustic guitarists use medium picks in the 60-70 mm range. I also wonder about having a rounded edge instead of a beveled edge. I won't even consider buying anything that has a bevel.
    Larry Hunsberger

2013 J Bovier A5 Special w/ToneGard
    D'Addario FW-74 flatwound strings
    1909 Weymann&Sons bowlback
    1919 Weymann&Sons mandolute
    Ibanez PF5
    1993 Oriente HO-20 hybrid double bass
    3/4 guitar converted to octave mandolin

I prefer 1mm and not heavier as I don't like the sound of a heavier pick for my mandolin. Other mandolins maybe, mine, no.

14. The following members say thank you to pops1 for this post:

Some of their picks are available in 6mm. I believe that some of the gypsy jazz afficionados like super-thick picks. I would think that mandolin strings are closer together than full-size guitars and those thicker picks might not work so well. Hmmmm... maybe I should try a thick piece of plastic to see how it works.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    The most interesting to me are the PEEK ones. I wonder how they compare to BC's. Price is comparable or even higher than BC's.

Name:	20171027_033357_1024x1024@2x.jpg 
Views:	203 
Size:	344.9 KB 
ID:	166044
    After seeing this thread, I was curious to try the PEEK version. PEEK is typically extremely hard and rigid. It's used for medical devices and structural parts and has even been made into ballistic caps for small artillery rounds, so it's about as rugged as thermoplastic gets.

Got a PEEK 1.5 mm large triangle pick in the mail today and, just like I expected, it's a hard as a rock and stiff as can be. The finish was immaculate, with smooth and consistent bevels. The surface (other than the bevels) remains slightly rough; as a result, it's the grippiest pick I've ever tried. Sticks between my thumb and forefinger much better than my Wegen TF140, Primetone, or any V Pick I've tried, making fine control of pick attack easy.

I usually play with either a BC TAD-50 or a Wegen TF-140, so I took about 45 minutes to A/B/C them on a 93 Flatiron A and an Eastman MDA815. For the record, I'm not much of a bluegrass player (based mostly on talent, not desire), I spend most of my playing time with classical, church music, or old fiddle tunes so take my comments accordingly.

First off, this is flat out the loudest pick I've ever tried. By a mile. I got a huge amount of volume out of the Eastman mandola with very little pick stoke. The effect on the Flatiron was similar but a little less pronounced. Not surprising, I guess given the stiffness of the material.

As for tone, I usually swap back and forth between the Wegen and the BC. I like the volume and crisp, ringing tone the Wegen produces, although at times and on certain pieces the tone it (or more properly my technique) produces seems a little harsh. I prefer the rounder tone of the BC, but it produces less volume, which makes playing in a group or large space without amplification a challenge. The EML sounds more Wegen like to me, with great clear ringing tone and none of the harshness I occasionally experience with the TF-140 (although again, that's likely my playing instead of the pick). It does not have that slightly darker tone that the BC brings. While the tone out of this this pick is every bit as full and clear a BC, it's a different sound, so which sounds better is more of an apples to oranges comparison.

My bottom line: if you're a Wegen triangle user, I think you'll really like the sound of this pick. Superb grip, all of the ring, and none of the harshness. If you're a BC user looking to add a crisper tone to your playing, you may like this pick as well. If you're a hardcore BCphile, you can move along. And if you need to be heard over anything from a banjo to a room full of crying children to a 747 without playing your mandolin like you're whippin' a mule, then this is a pick you've been waiting for.

I believe EML has a 14 day return for refund or replacement policy, so it's a low risk proposition if you're interested.

We now return you to your local "no pick is worth that kind of money" discussion already in progress ...

17. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to FrontRangeMando For This Useful Post:

Adrian Minarovic

I will try to get some PEEk scrap pieces from friends and make my own... Actually this material is quite often used by engineers in medical or such appliances. FWIK it costs about half of Polyimide (BC material) and the mechanical properties are very similar or in some cases even higher strength or resistance than PI.
    https://www.makeitfrom.com/compare/P...c-Polyimide-PI
    Adrian

Got a PEEK 1.5 mm large triangle pick in the mail today
    How does the size of the large triangle compare to the size of the BC TAD 50? These days, I mostly switch between a TAD 60 3R and a D'Andrea ProPlec 1.5 (the large triangle size - 346?). I'd be interested in buying one of these, but I'd feel more sure of what I'm ordering if they'd put some sort of size/scale comparison on the site - like a quarter sitting on top of the pick.
    Mitch Russell

Name:	IMG_0797.JPG 
Views:	241 
Size:	501.9 KB 
ID:	166401

Here' a picture of a Blue Chip TAD-50 laid on top of the EML triangle, which is light grey. As you can see, the EML triangle is very slightly larger. I'm not sure you'd notice the difference. It is thicker, 1.5 mm for the EML vs 1.25 for the TAD-50.

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FrontRangeMando For This Useful Post:

meeonassis 

Hello! It’s exciting to see this thread on the forum! I’ll try to very briefly address every standout point or question:

Jim Garber: The PEEK is fairly bright sounding in comparison to Blue Chip’s Vespel. It’s very much an apples and oranges situation, as Blue Chip has excellent bevels on their picks as well. In terms of durability, all of my personal PEEK picks show zero discernible wear after almost two years of use

Mark Seale: Cool to see you on here too, and I’m glad they’ve worked out so well for you!

Doug Freeman and sblock: Most of what sells for any pick maker in the States is the thinner options, but they do go up to 4mm-6mm (depending on the shape) because many gypsy jazz guitarists love well beveled picks in that thickness

mandobassman: The 1.5mm thickness limit is a result of the limited equipment I have (no adequate drum sander yet), forcing me to carefully thin down each of these by hand. Going much thinner than 1.5mm causes me to start to lose skin on my fingertips. However, I have done many picks with round bevels, so that’s always an option if you shoot an email letting me know!

FrontRangeMando: Thank you for taking the time to right such a detailed review, and it’s great to hear that the volume boost is working well for you. Judging from the window of time, I have a rough idea which customer you may be, but in any case thank you so much!

onassis: The Large Triangle model is basically the same size as every other triangle you come across. Wegen, Blue Chip, Dunlop, etc etc all use the century old D’Andrea 346 shape as a template, and mine is no exception to that rule. D’Andrea never patented their shapes, so most of them have more or less become the standard 8-10 picks shapes you see

For what it's worth, the best selling material (and my personal favorite) is the casein, but all three are great, depending on the tone you're after
    Owner of emlpicks.com

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to EricLopez For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by FrontRangeMando View Post

Name:	IMG_0797.JPG 
Views:	241 
Size:	501.9 KB 
ID:	166401

Here' a picture of a Blue Chip TAD-50 laid on top of the EML triangle, which is light grey. As you can see, the EML triangle is very slightly larger. I'm not sure you'd notice the difference. It is thicker, 1.5 mm for the EML vs 1.25 for the TAD-50.
    Is that the Large or Small triangle from EML?

Ode to a pickmaker, by Jeff Mando

September, 1955, career day Elmwood Elementary, Yourtown, USA. Most of the boys wanted jobs like their fathers -- policeman, fireman, accountant, plumber, etc. Most of the girls wanted to be housewives like their mother, some wanted to be school teachers or nurses. Tommy exclaimed, "Me, I wanna be a pickmaker!" Mizz Crabtree, the old schoolmarm, said, "Tommy, there is no such thing! Picks are stamped out by a machine by the thousands and sell for a nickel a piece.......there's no money in that! Maybe you would like to learn woodworking and make guitars, that would be a good trade for you." Tommy replied, "Naw, I see the day, when picks will sell for $20, $30, $40 dollars EACH, heck, I can even see the day when picks will cost $100 each!" The room went silent. Mizz Crabtree dismissed the class for recess, except for Tommy. She called the school nurse, who called the guys in the white suits from the looney bin who brought the straightjacket and the big net on a pole. Billy saw what was happening to his friend, Tommy and yelled out, "but WAIT, you know, it's sort like the craft beer thing only for stringed instrument lovers........" Oops, he shouldn't have said that............unfortunately they brought an extra straightjacket and he was hauled off, too.

Mizz Crabtree didn't live long enough to eat her words and see Tommy's success. She also didn't believe in the Space Program or the use of pocket calculators in math class.

Any resemblance to persons living or dead is purely coincidental and the names have been changed to punish the guilty. NFI. YMMV.

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jeff Mando For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by bradeasley View Post
    Is that the Large or Small triangle from EML?
    Hi Brad, that's the Large Triangle
    Owner of emlpicks.com

Thanks, Eric! Is your profile pic(k) the large triangle in casein? Do you use that one on mandolin? I usually use a BC TAD50, and I’m curious how that would compare.

Eric, I am wondering how the different materials compare in brightness. Those with bright G strings seem to like thicker picks. With a deeper sounding G string it gets muddy with a thicker pick. BC and Wegen are both different sounding and work differently with those same differences in mandolins. How would you say the different materials you offer would relate to sound differences. Thanks

I’ve been using an eml large triangle in 2mm thickness and love it so much I’ll be selling the BC.
    Waterloo WL-M

Blues Mando Social Group - member

Quote Originally Posted by Joey Anchors View Post
    I’ve been using an eml large triangle in 2mm thickness and love it so much I’ll be selling the BC.
    Which material, if you don't mind my asking? I'm considering either the casein or the PEEK.

Quote Originally Posted by bradeasley View Post
    Which material, if you don't mind my asking? I'm considering either the casein or the PEEK.
    I’ve been using the casein. It feels more “organic” than the BC. I will definitely be ordering more in the near future!
    Waterloo WL-M

Blues Mando Social Group - member

33. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Joey Anchors For This Useful Post:

So funny story. I've been using this same BlueChip for almost 10 years which I was under the impression was a TAD50. Haven't really played any others, as this one has always done the trick. I had just ordered an EML large triangle in casein to try something new but same shape, when a friend gave me this Dunlop Prime Tone 2 days ago and said it was the same dimension as the CT55. I'm like, no it's not, it's bigger than a TAD. Yeah, turns out, mine is the smaller TP size. Not sure where I got it into my head that it was a TAD, or maybe it's an older BC and they weren't using those names (TAD TP). I felt pretty dumb, but fortunately, I caught Eric in time to switch my order to the small triangle.

Name:	picks.jpg 
Views:	505 
Size:	458.5 KB 
ID:	167341

Well, got the EML casein small triangle in yesterday. First impression, I really like the sound of the casein material. Feel is nice too. The points are a bit sharper than I expected, sharper than my BC, which is taking some getting used to. The sharper tip is good for lead/single note picking, it's rhythm and tremolo where I prefer a slightly more rounded tip. Perhaps it will break in a bit. Or I might end up trying to round one of the points down a bit to see how it goes. All in all, very impressed with quality and tone. I may order another at some point and request less sharp tips.

Name:	FullSizeRender-2.jpg 
Views:	160 
Size:	478.1 KB 
ID:	167453

36. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bradeasley For This Useful Post: