Thread: Sawyer Brown, The Walk

Post Sawyer Brown, The Walk

I am helping a friend out that wants to sign the walk at a variety show. I’m new to the mandolin and and having trouble finding how to play this song. I have chords but there are riffs. Anyone play it?
    Thanks for any help.

M

Default Re: Sawyer Brown, The Walk

I am helping a friend out that wants to sign the walk at a variety show. I’m new to the mandolin and having trouble finding how to play this song. I have chords but there are riffs. Anyone play it?
    Thanks for any help.

New Church Lady

Seriously? No one has any suggestions with over 94 views?
    Crud.

Another viewer. I have nothing to offer but a hearty “good luck” on your endeavor, and welcome to the Cafe! Hopefully someone that knows will chime in before the day is over.

Just looked at the members list. There are now 46,397 registered members. Some are working, some sleeping and hopefully the rest are making music go easy on us here.

Quote Originally Posted by Rodney Riley View Post
    Just looked at the members list. There are now 46,397 registered members. Some are working, some sleeping and hopefully the rest are making music go easy on us here.
    I did NOT mean to come off mean in ANY WAY...No NO NO!

Just hoping for help. I am hopeful!

Never heard it, so I googled it. Nice song, better than a lot of modern country tunes.

Ok, so you’re probably hoping someone is gonna send you sheet music or tab for the riffs in this song? Pretty unlikely.... if it was Bill Monroe or a classic Beatles tune, you might be in luck. But probably not with this song on this forum.

Best advice I can give you:
    -make sure you know the chords really well and play cleanly and in time to support your singer. If he / she can sing well, it will be fine

-if you have a few weeks, do what we all learn to do eventually: copy the riffs in the song and figure out your own. Pick a riff you like and try to find the first note. Rewind the track and try to hit the second note. Keep doing that until you learn the riff. Write the notes down so you can remember it the next day! Yes, this is hard and time consuming. But, the more often you do it, the faster you’ll get + you’ll feel an immense sense of pride at doing it yourself.

-write you own little riffs and breaks. Look at what chord you’re playing at a given spot and play some of the notes in that scale. Play them in a whole bunch of combinations until you come up with something that sounds musical. Play along with the song a whole bunch of times till it really fits in well. Try to add tremolo, double stops, or drone strings where appropriate.

-sorry I don’t have a quick fix type of answer. What I’ve suggested is hard and time consuming when you’re a new player... but it should be an enjoyable kind of work, right? That’s why we do music. Do this for different songs for a year and you’ll be amazed at the skills you pick up...
    Northfield Big Mon
    Royce Burt Fiddle
    Martin D-18

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jstring For This Useful Post:

You will probably have to play along and figure it out for yourself. This is a great learning tool, and really fun to do, too. Just play the recording and try to play along. The more you do it, the easier it gets.
    You can figure out the chords using chordify.com. It'll tell you the chords, then just play the notes in the scale for the riffs. They're really simple riffs, just descending and ascending the scale. you should be able to figure them out easily if you know the scale.

Wow, perfect! Thank you for the guidance. I am ready to get to work.! I ready appreciate this help. I know it will be a slow process but so worth it. Have a great day!

Thank you very much! I’m learning scales ad we type’lol.

thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Marty Jacobson View Post
    You can figure out the chords using chordify.com. It'll tell you the chords, then just play the notes in the scale for the riffs. They're really simple riffs, just descending and ascending the scale. you should be able to figure them out easily if you know the scale.
    Are you sure that's the correct web address?

My browser takes me to the Chordify Management Consultants home page.
    "We Make Data Work For You"
    "Those who know don't have the words to tell, and the ones with the words don't know so well." - Bruce Cockburn