Thread: 0-Size Guitar Case

Default 0-Size Guitar Case

I have a 2015 Martin 0-28 which came with a very nice Geib case. But it's very heavy. Not looking for a Calton or the upper end type cases--out of my budget range-- but rather a mid-range "plastic" case. Many years back Martin actually had something like that available, but no longer in production. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Default Re: 0-Size Guitar Case

Try this page for some possibilities, though I would triple check to make sure your guitar fits.

You don't want a gig bag, right, even a heavy-duty one? Otherwise, besides the Godin one, I only see hardshell like the one you already have.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Yes it's been a tough case to find. And Jim you are correct I don't want a gigbag. I think the biggest hurdle is the guitar size itself, being less in demand than larger guitars. I saw where Elderly had a used Martin 610 thermoplastic case some time ago, but it's long gone.

Oooo, O-28! I bet that's a very cool.
    Billy Packard
    Gilchrist A3, 1993
    Weber Fern, 2007
    Stiver Fern, 1990
    Gibson 1923 A2
    Gibson 1921 H1 Mandola
    Numerous wonderful guitars

I bought one from Elderly not long ago, well a couple years, but that's not long as fast as time goes these days.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

6. The following members say thank you to pops1 for this post:

This Gator case or one similar to it might be a good lightweight but still protective. I got a similar foam case for a banjo and it seems pretty sturdy and super light.

Lots of specs on Gator site.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Gibson F5L Gibson A5L
    Blog Entries

This one might fit. Call for spec and size .... R/

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/acces...#productDetail
    I love hanging out with mandolin nerds . . . . . Thanks peeps ...

Quote Originally Posted by UsuallyPickin View Post
    This one might fit. Call for spec and size .... R/

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/acces...#productDetail
    According to a review it fits a guitar with a 15 1/2" lower bout. A style 0 has a more like a 12 3/4" lower bout. It would be kind of loose and flopping around in there.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    This Gator case or one similar to it might be a good lightweight but still protective. I got a similar foam case for a banjo and it seems pretty sturdy and super light.

Lots of specs on Gator site.
    The Gator is more the size of a 000/classical 15 1/2" lower bout.

How do you get both of my posts on one post with quotes? I have see others do it.

This particular guitar is a model 0-28S(not VS) and supposedly only 3 were ever made at Martin as prototypes. This one is brand new, built in 2015. The lower bout is 13-1/2" , 12 fret to body, and solid--not slotted--headstock. It never went into production. So anyway I would like to find a fiberglass or "plastic" case if possible, but nothing even close so far. I guess there's always the custom option but that is out of my budget.

Having just run across SKB #1SKB-GSM and 1SKB-300 cases. Neither is an exact fit but one slightly bigger inside and the other slightly smaller. Any feedback on these?

Try a classical guitar case. I had one that was about right until the hinges wore out. My 1973 0-18 has a lower bout 13.5” wide, (not 12.5, those were a long long time ago unless recently replicated) I now keep it in a standard arch-top case which would accommodate 14.75” width. I’m comfortable with the wiggle room.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Cameron View Post
    Try a classical guitar case. I had one that was about right until the hinges wore out. My 1973 0-18 has a lower bout 13.5” wide, (not 12.5, those were a long long time ago unless recently replicated) I now keep it in a standard arch-top case which would accommodate 14.75” width. I’m comfortable with the wiggle room.
    Thanks Bill, I grabbed the wrong guitar to measure. 13.5 is correct.

Still another case I found today is a Hiscox Classical Guitar Small Black Shell Int-Pro II. This one looks the most promising to date.

This Gator case is a called a classical case. Are some classical guitars less wide than others?
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

This Gator case is a called a classical case. Are some classical guitars less wide than others?
    A classical case usually fits a 000.

So I ordered a Hiscox Pro II GCL-S (NFI) and it fits just about perfectly. The padding inside is similar to most cases I've seen/used. But besides the usual perimeter padding there is contact point padding at the apex of each curve of the upper and lower bouts. This separates the guitar from contact with the inside walls, leaving space for the case to collapse without touching the guitar. The neck support extends almost the full length of the guitar neck. Besides the neck protection it allows for a generous accessories box, too. There is appropriate padding on the underside of the lid. The handle is heavy and solid while the case locks are an interesting spring loaded design that can operate with one hand. Overall I am very pleased with the ABS molded exterior and aluminum trim along the edges. My one disappointment is the weight, which I find is probably about the same as the Martin factory geib case. I had hoped for a lighter case, but the other appointments more than offset the weight shortcoming.

I believe you either have to go with an expensive carbon fiber case or else a foam case for lightness. Protection for the most part means thickness = weight. If I still lived in a city and had to walk with my guitar for blocks I would just get a solid well made gig bag and be careful where I put it down. I mostly drive to gigs and jams so it really doesn’t matter that much where I live now.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

I would just like to add that if you find a case you like but the case is just a bit too big, it is fairly easy to make filler blocks. I use closed cell foam. I have a pretty good stock if I ever need more, they used it as packing material for the corners of one of my amps. Any cotton cover will do just fine, I have wrapped them in flannel polishing cloths, also I have used cotton socks.

Other sources of suitable closed cell foam are pipe insulation, backing rods for caulking, and those “noodle” things used as floatation devices.
    Don

2016 Weber Custom Bitterroot F
    2011 Weber Bitterroot A
    1974 Martin Style A

Quote Originally Posted by multidon View Post
    I would just like to add that if you find a case you like but the case is just a bit too big, it is fairly easy to make filler blocks. I use closed cell foam. I have a pretty good stock if I ever need more, they used it as packing material for the corners of one of my amps. Any cotton cover will do just fine, I have wrapped them in flannel polishing cloths, also I have used cotton socks.

Other sources of suitable closed cell foam are pipe insulation, backing rods for caulking, and those “noodle” things used as floatation devices.
    Coincidentally this Hiscox case was shipped with two big foam blocks which I thought I might need, but the guitar fits so well without, I can save them for something else.

I'm a big fan of Hiscox too, but something I've been using lately (albeit a little more money, $600ish) is the Visesnut Active classical case. A nice feature of this case is that you can adjust the interior profile with the use of adjustment pull straps which are hidden in the storage compartment. Their classical size works great for both a 00 and 0. That helps me justify the extra cost since they serve double-duty and tough enough to be a flight case. The Active model is only 7 lbs. My only beef is the handle is a bit stiff - I've been removing theirs and installing Hoffee handles. They also make OM and Dread sized cases. I wish they made one for Mandolin! Good luck, Gill

All sorted?
    Last edited by mandroid; Mar-31-2018 at 5:26pm. Reason: cannot delete
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

http://www.crossrockcase.com/upfile/...164414_667.png

at least they show measurements for comparison to your guitar.
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Quote Originally Posted by mandroid View Post
    http://www.crossrockcase.com/upfile/...164414_667.png

at least they show measurements for comparison to your guitar.
    I wish all case mfrs. did like that. So many market just the padding and exterior dimensions, all of which is fine. But interior dimensions are very necessary to find proper fit. I got lucky with this Hiscox case, taking a chance judging from the sparse dimensional information that was given in the "specs".

The Visesnut cases look nice, too. But they were out of my budget range. Ah well!