Thread: Eastman MDA815 mandola

Default Eastman MDA815 mandola

I was wondering what opinions are on the MDA815?
    Playability and tone are most important to me.

Thanks!

Default Re: Eastman MDA815 mandola

Hi Oliver,
    I got one about a week ago, and posted to the Equipment forum my quick impressions. In short - mine is well-made, I found it for a good price ( I was actually looking for the new MDA315 that came out at NAMM this year), the scale length agrees with me - after thinking I wanted something closer to 17" - and the sound is all I had hoped for.

Of course I would rather have bought from an independent builder, but this is what fit my budget, and I'm glad for the niche these instruments fill.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bbcee For This Useful Post:

Hi Oliver,
    I've had an 815 for a number of years, has the brown "violin finish" I bought it new.
    I thought it was a bit "thin" sounding, but I feel that it opened up and improved quite a lot, the more it was played. I also had another mandola to compare it to, an old flatiron pancake style. After about a year of owning the Eastman, I ordered a new bridge for it from Cumberland Acoustics. That also improved its tone and sound (IMHO). I have since sold the Flatiron, since I preferred the Eastman. At the time I bought my Eastman, there was some discussions about Eastman's need for better "quality control", but I believe that has improved a lot since then (again, IMHO)
    Jeff
    Jeffrey S Wagner

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jswag For This Useful Post:

Smile Re: Eastman MDA815 mandola

I have been playing my MDA615 (single bound back and neck, but otherwise identical to the 815) for a few years, now. Puchased used via the 'cafe classifieds, it had already been graced with an aftermarket (Mike Kemnitzer) bridge. I added a pick guard, and I couldn't be happier with it. Deep, round tone, and overpowering volume in an acoustic setting. My band-mates have to keep reminding me..
    I'm sure that the MDA315 will sound and play just as well.
    Good luck in your quest, fellow mando(la)-head!

Originally the bridges weren't compensated correctly. With right bridge, a bit of tweaking, and some break in, they do very well. Hefty. I'd rather not have points and pieces I don't need, but nicely solid.
    Stephen Perry

Thumbs up Re: Eastman MDA815 mandola

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Perry View Post
    Hefty. I'd rather not have points and pieces I don't need, but nicely solid.
    Maybe you could talk them into some 'pointless' and scroll-less variation/s, Steve? I daresay that the oval and 'f' hole variants would each have their own following, too..

Quote Originally Posted by mandopixie View Post
    Maybe you could talk them into some 'pointless' and scroll-less variation/s, Steve? I daresay that the oval and 'f' hole variants would each have their own following, too..
    Nobody at Eastman listens to me any more.
    Stephen Perry

10. The following members say thank you to Stephen Perry for this post:

Exclamation Re: Eastman MDA815 mandola

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Perry View Post
    Nobody at Eastman listens to me any more.
    Whaa..?

Quote Originally Posted by mandopixie View Post
    Whaa..?
    They don't even want me to handle their mandolins up here. Too many stores already, but there was no problem letting my competitors pick up Eastman in Tennessee when I started with them. I may just stop having anything to do with mandolins except mandovoodoo, and just make my own violins. Maybe I'll make a mandolin or five.
    Stephen Perry

13. The following members say thank you to Stephen Perry for this post:

I have a MDA815 with the redish color finish. It does OK I guess but I do think it's a bit thin. Understanding it was a "budget" option, it still cost over a grand and for that price I expected a bit better tone. Of course I am used to playing mandolins priced much higher.
    If it was played more it may sound better, but the current tone fails to inspire me to pick it up and figure out what the heck to do with it.
    Drew
    2020 Northfield 4th Gen F5
    2022 Northfield NFS-F5E
    2019 Northfield Flat Top Octave
    2021 Gold Tone Mando Cello
    https://www.instagram.com/pilotdrew85

Question Re: Eastman MDA815 mandola

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Egerton View Post
    I have a MDA815 with the redish color finish. It does OK I guess but I do think it's a bit thin. Understanding it was a "budget" option, it still cost over a grand and for that price I expected a bit better tone. Of course I am used to playing mandolins priced much higher.
    If it was played more it may sound better, but the current tone fails to inspire me to pick it up and figure out what the heck to do with it.
    Have you tried (or considered) a ToneRite treatment?

No I have never done that on any instrument. Really don't know enough about it to say, but I am skeptical. Plenty of threads here on that topic I am sure...
    Drew
    2020 Northfield 4th Gen F5
    2022 Northfield NFS-F5E
    2019 Northfield Flat Top Octave
    2021 Gold Tone Mando Cello
    https://www.instagram.com/pilotdrew85

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Egerton View Post
    No I have never done that on any instrument. Really don't know enough about it to say, but I am skeptical. Plenty of threads here on that topic I am sure...
    I was skeptical about ToneRiteŽ until I got one. I now have several, including a couple for guitar.
    A better bridge may also help. Their earlier examples' bridge was not up to snuff. Mine had been replaced before I acquired it.

There are many things to soup up a mandolin. Somewhere on here I have an older version of my mandovoodoo work. Pretty easy, most people won't even try.
    Stephen Perry

19. The following members say thank you to Stephen Perry for this post:

Bought my Eastman Mandola 815 a couple of years ago. Had the bridge corrected which brought the intonation into line. It has opened up considerably since purchase.
    A BIG improvement is going with flat wound strings. I order them through emando.com. Here's the link:
    Mandola Sets Emando.com.pdf. Be sure to specify loop ends. I went with the normal gauge. With the flat wounds, the mandola has become a bit of a cannon with a nice, rich full sound. Could not be more pleased with the instrument - it's a keeper.

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Quake City For This Useful Post: