Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 'Danger' of genius?

Default Re: 'Danger' of genius?

Could it be that the reason that some people don't like what Tony Rice or Chris Thile or Noam Pikelny are doing and saying "that ain't bluegrass" is because they are jealous that they can't play like those guys? Or, maybe they just don't understand where they are coming from? I'm sure that Bela Fleck gets a lot of grief from some of the old-timers for the way he plays banjo. If you were to interview any of the guys from "Newgrass Revival" I think you would find that they more than respect what Monroe, the Stanleys, Don Reno/Red Smiley and others before them and they pay homage to them by being themselves and playing what is inside of them. What they feel and hear. While I don't always understand what Chris Thile is doing on the mandolin, I do think that he has done wonders in getting younger people interested in the mandolin (along with Sam Bush). I always feel inspired to try and play better when I hear what they are playing. Something fresh and new. You don't have to agree with what Tony or any of the others do or you don't even have to like it, but let's not tear somebody down just because they do something different.

Now, back to the OP. Yes, there were other guitar players before Tony that did play lead in bluegrass. I am glad that someone mention the work of Bill Napier. While his style was completely different than what Tony (or Clarence) did, he was still innovative and it fit well with the music that the Stanley's were playing.
    ManjoMan

2. The following members say thank you to ManjoMan for this post:

To me, "genius" is pretty rarified territory. Who would I consider a genius? Someone who invents their own genre of music, like Bill Monroe or Thelonious Monk. Someone who can sit down in front of a blank piece of paper and come up with Sad Eyed Lady of the Lowlands or I'm So Lonesome I Could Cry. Someone who, as Art Pepper claimed, never had a lesson or had to practice. As talented as a Clarence White was, I would classify him as "extremely accomplished," rather than "genius."
    "The paths of experimentation twist and turn through mountains of miscalculations, and often lose themselves in error and darkness!"
    --Leslie Daniel, "The Brain That Wouldn't Die."

Some tunes: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCa1...SV2qtug/videos

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jaycat For This Useful Post:

The Amateur Mandolinist Mark Gunter's Avatar
    South of Cleburne, North of Hillsboro, Texas

Quote Originally Posted by jaycat View Post
    To me, "genius" is pretty rarified territory. Who would I consider a genius? Someone who invents their own genre of music, like Bill Monroe or Thelonious Monk. Someone who can sit down in front of a blank piece of paper and come up with Sad Eyed Lady of the Lowlands or I'm So Lonesome I Could Cry. Someone who, as Art Pepper claimed, never had a lesson or had to practice. As talented as a Clarence White was, I would classify him as "extremely accomplished," rather than "genius."
    And from Allen: "I'm not quite sure what earns the "genius" label; just that you have to be a very accomplished musician? ... So, I don't know if Tony Rice is a "genius,' or even really when you apply that label to someone who's a top musician. Maybe I'd be more likely to award the title to David Grisman, who put together a group that defined a 'new acoustic' style"

I figured it might be good to look at the definitions based on word usage by the authorities (standards) in those fields. It's a tough question when you consider it, usage only gives broad guidelines. Respecting musicians, here are some relevant entries.

From the google dictionary I suppose:
    noun
    noun: genius; plural noun: geniuses

exceptional intellectual or creative power or other natural ability.
      "she was a teacher of genius"
      synonyms: brilliance, intelligence, intellect, ability, cleverness, brains, erudition, wisdom, fine mind; Moreartistry, flair
      "the world knew of his genius"

talent, gift, flair, aptitude, facility, knack, bent, ability, expertise, capacity, faculty;
      strength, forte, brilliance, skill, artistry
      "she has a genius for organization"

antonyms: stupidity
      a person who is exceptionally intelligent or creative, either generally or in some particular respect.

From Oxford:
    1. Exceptional intellectual or creative power or other natural ability.
    2. A person who is exceptionally intelligent or creative, either generally or in some particular respect. ‘one of the great musical geniuses of the 20th century’

From Merriam-Webster:
    a. a single strongly marked capacity or aptitude
    b. extraordinary intellectual power especially as manifested in creative activity
    WWW.THEAMATEURMANDOLINIST.COM
    ----------------------------------
    "Life is short. Play hard." - AlanN

----------------------------------
    HEY! The Cafe has Social Groups, check 'em out. I'm in these groups:
    Newbies Social Group | The Song-A-Week Social
    The Woodshed Study Group | Blues Mando
    - Advice For Mandolin Beginners
    - YouTube Stuff

To prevent overuse of the term genius, using these definitions we need to define or agree on the definition of extraordinary.