Thread: Preamp to pair with mic (Shure SM94)?

Default Preamp to pair with mic (Shure SM94)?

Hey all,

Was looking at a Boss AD-2, but am now reconsidering and looking for a preamp for $200 or less. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated! Zoom A3 has been recommended to me, as one. Thanks.
    Collings MT-O Sunburst (2014)
    Kentucky KM630 (early 1990s Korean) w/ K&K Twin Internal
    Vega K-Style Mandolin Banjo (1917)
    Vega N-Style 17-Fret Tenor Banjo (1922)
    Deering Goodtime 2 5-String Banjo w/ Resonator

Default Re: Preamp to pair with mic (Shure SM94)?

Maybe a better question is, can you use preamps with mics?

Blog Entries

It would help if you explained what you need the preamp for, exactly?

It will run perfectly well from a 1.5v AA cell, so you don't even need phantom power with this one, and has a fairly healthy output level too (3.5mv/Pa) so you don't nee masses of gain either on any desk or input...

Normally, you would just run this straight into the mic input on on the mixer, or into the mic input of any recording interface.
    Gibson F5 'Harvey' Fern, Gibson F5 'Derrington' Fern
    Distressed Silverangel F 'Esmerelda' aka 'Maxx'
    Northfield Big Mon #127
    Ellis F5 Special #288
    '39 & '45 D-18's, 1950 D-28.

What Almeriastrings, said...

If you do need a preamp, you actually would want a mic preamp. This is good news, as there are a lot more quality choices for mics.
    Robert Fear
    http://www.folkmusician.com

"Education is when you read the fine print; experience is what you get when you don't.
    " - Pete Seeger

Quote Originally Posted by almeriastrings View Post
    It would help if you explained what you need the preamp for, exactly?

It will run perfectly well from a 1.5v AA cell, so you don't even need phantom power with this one, and has a fairly healthy output level too (3.5mv/Pa) so you don't nee masses of gain either on any desk or input...

Normally, you would just run this straight into the mic input on on the mixer, or into the mic input of any recording interface.
    Great point on what I'm using it for, almeriastrings!
    This is for live gigs with a guitar player (sometimes electric) and bass player. When just running the mando into my acoustic amp, it sounds tinny.

Quote Originally Posted by Folkmusician.com View Post
    What Almeriastrings, said...

If you do need a preamp, you actually would want a mic preamp. This is good news, as there are a lot more quality choices for mics.
    Thanks, Folkmusician.com! Any mic preamps you recommend?

Does your acoustic amp have a mic input?
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

8. The following members say thank you to pops1 for this post:

Blog Entries

In other words - a three pin XLR? Next question? Does it supply phantom power, if it does (if not, do you have a fresh AA cell installed into the mic?).
    Gibson F5 'Harvey' Fern, Gibson F5 'Derrington' Fern
    Distressed Silverangel F 'Esmerelda' aka 'Maxx'
    Northfield Big Mon #127
    Ellis F5 Special #288
    '39 & '45 D-18's, 1950 D-28.

Have you tried setting the mic in other positions to see if you get better bass response?
    If your amp does not provide phantom power and you want to warm up the sound, I think a tube preamp would be a good idea.
    Check out the Presonus TubePre.
    https://www.presonus.com/products/tubepre-v2

11. The following members say thank you to colorado_al for this post:

If your Acoustic amp has a dedicated XLR Mic input, you shouldn't need anything. Just do some experimenting.

IF your acoustic amp does not have a dedicated XLR input, I am a big fan of of the ART MP Preamps. They are not high-end by any means, but they do have phantom power and do a good job. They are not meant to be accurate preamps and color the sound. At under $100, They are a great thing to have around when you need a mic pre, direct box, or want to warm something up. These are not ideal for piezo pickups. For everything else, thumbs up.

If you want additional controls, these are generally referred to as "Channel Strips". These tend to get REALLY expensive, but there are a few nice budget offerings From PreSonus, DBX, Art and Joe Meek. On the lower end of the price spectrum, the ART Pro Channel II is pretty cool. I love that they have a dedicated Low-Cut that goes to 200hz (the frequency of the low G on mandolin).

Again, this is not high-end gear, but for stage and project studio, they are nice tools to have. I would take one of these over an acoustic preamp (assuming you are not using a Piezo pickup).
    Robert Fear

"Education is when you read the fine print; experience is what you get when you don't.
    " - Pete Seeger

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Folkmusician.com For This Useful Post:

I knew Robert Fear knew mandolins, he seems to know sound equip. too. He's bound to be right because he agrees with me.

15. The following members say thank you to Mandoplumb for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Folkmusician.com View Post
    If your Acoustic amp has a dedicated XLR Mic input, you shouldn't need anything. Just do some experimenting.

IF your acoustic amp does not have a dedicated XLR input, I am a big fan of of the ART MP Preamps. They are not high-end by any means, but they do have phantom power and do a good job. They are not meant to be accurate preamps and color the sound. At under $100, They are a great thing to have around when you need a mic pre, direct box, or want to warm something up. These are not ideal for piezo pickups. For everything else, thumbs up.

If you want additional controls, these are generally referred to as "Channel Strips". These tend to get REALLY expensive, but there are a few nice budget offerings From PreSonus, DBX, Art and Joe Meek. On the lower end of the price spectrum, the ART Pro Channel II is pretty cool. I love that they have a dedicated Low-Cut that goes to 200hz (the frequency of the low G on mandolin).

Again, this is not high-end gear, but for stage and project studio, they are nice tools to have. I would take one of these over an acoustic preamp (assuming you are not using a Piezo pickup).
    This is great, Folkmusician.com. Thanks so much!

Should you get the mic to work with your acoustic amp, the next problem you're likely to encounter is feedback. In order to overcome this, you'll either have to turn the volume down or position your amp very carefully in relation to the mic - possibly directly behind it (facing the XLR plug).

The Zoom I suggested in your other thread, however, has the facility to introduce three notch filters which will filter out the worse of the feedback frequencies so this might be a reasonable option. The zoom also has an array of effects but how to save and use them effectively has, so far, largely defeated me. If anyone can can point me at an idiots guide, I'd be grateful!

Whilst using a mic into an acoustic amp is an option, particularly as you already have the bits and pieces, personally it wouldn't be my first solution. Pickups?

18. The following members say thank you to Ray(T) for this post:

I knew Robert Fear knew mandolins, he seems to know sound equip. too. He's bound to be right because he agrees with me.
    Robert came of age during the era of hair bands and one of his first jobs as a teen was running sound for one. I pursed live sound/recording right up to the point of starting Folkmusician. Now I do it off and on as a sideline.

I also own the SM94 and the SM81.
    Robert Fear

" - Pete Seeger

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Folkmusician.com For This Useful Post:

Might like a 2 mic + a couple line channels sub mixer , with some more features , perhaps ? dont cost much.

Add a multiband EQ in an effects loop out of it, if its 2 or 3 bands is not enough..

In another thread, asked about the Boss AD2, this, for example , costs half what that does
    http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-a...enyx-502-mixer

Last edited by mandroid; Mar-17-2018 at 6:45pm.
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

22. The following members say thank you to mandroid for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by colorado_al View Post
    Have you tried setting the mic in other positions to see if you get better bass response?
    If your amp does not provide phantom power and you want to warm up the sound, I think a tube preamp would be a good idea.
    Check out the Presonus TubePre.
    https://www.presonus.com/products/tubepre-v2
    Thanks, colorado_al!

24. The following members say thank you to Pick&Grin for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by mandroid View Post
    Might like a 2 mic + a couple line channels sub mixer , with some more features , perhaps ? dont cost much.

Add a multiband EQ in an effects loop out of it, if its 2 or 3 bands is not enough..

In another thread, asked about the Boss AD2, this, for example , costs half what that does

Good point. Thanks, Mandroid!

- - - Updated - - -

Man! Lots of great options, here. It's great to learn more about the tech side of things; I've been an unplugged player and great to be exposed to all these possibilities. This is great!

Quote Originally Posted by mandroid View Post

Hey, all about half price!

I am not a fan of inexpensive tube gear. Yes, you run a signal through a tube, but unless you have a power supply with significant voltage, witch is big, heavy (transformer), and expensive, you really aren't getting the true tube sound. All those amps with one tube in the front end were just so much bs marketing. One tube run at low voltage does not a blacktop super reverb make.

Just look at some of the power supplies provided with tube mics for instance.

I will cop to owning a Bellari phono stage/ headphone amp, but most of the tone is solid state. Still, it did benefit from a good tube, something which low end tube gear never has.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

28. The following members say thank you to Br1ck for this post:

I am not a fan of inexpensive tube gear. Yes, you run a signal through a tube, but unless you have a power supply with significant voltage, witch is big, heavy (transformer), and expensive, you really aren't getting the true tube sound. All those amps with one tube in the front end were just so much bs marketing. One tube run at low voltage does not a blacktop super reverb make.
    I agree here, but the Tube MP is still the best thing I have heard for the price. Maybe despite the tube though. haha.

My Art TubePac is an Early US made version, but the new ones seem fine. I was actually involved with a recent "no budget" project where we recorded a Hall of Fame member with one. This was done live at a house in one take. There was not a lot of planning, and no other gear available. Granted, the recording was not exceptional, but we did it, and it got worldwide airplay.
    Robert Fear

" - Pete Seeger