Thread: Another First Mandolin Questions....

Default Another First Mandolin Questions....

Hi All,

Just got bitten by the mandolin bug and looking at getting my first.

From reading here, it looks like Kentucky is the way to go for a first mandolin. Was looking at a KM-505 from good reviews on this site. After looking at the Saga Music site I see that this year the 505 and 500 are the same mandolin but just a different finish. So I was going to get a 500 as I like the darker finish better.

BUT I like looks of the f style mandolin better.

So, for around the same price I can get a Loar LM-520 and have an f style.

From all I've read they are both solid wood construction with carved backs and tops & Grover tuners. The Kentucky has a nitro finish while the Loar just states gloss, so I'll assume a poly finish.

I don't have anywhere near me to try either out.

So help me decide. Does the Kentucky sound a lot better & that's what I should go with? Or will they both be about the same. Is the build quality better on one over the other? Is there something else I should be looking at in this price range?

Thanks for any help,
    Joe

===========

Default Re: Another First Mandolin Questions....

Hi Joe , and welcome aboard -

To be as brief as possible, the Kentucky and The Loar instruments (along with Eastman) are good quality, affordable instruments; (I do and/or have owned all three). As with ANY instrument, buying one without playing it is something of a crap-shoot - you may get a dog, or you may get something extra special. Like you, I live in a area where trying out these brands is not-too-common, so I have had to do my research and take my chances.

The absolute BEST advice I can give is to buy from a dealer that will do a quality set up on the mandolin, before it is shipped; this will most likely make a huge difference in your buying/playing experience. (Mandolin Store, Elderly Instruments, Folk Musician, and other Cafe sponsors come to mind . . . whereas sites like AMS, Musicians Friend, Amazon, etc. will only get you a 'factory set-up' which is usually far less likely to leave you satisfied.)

Don't be afraid to ask specific questions here at the Cafe', do lots of internet searches for reviews and videos, and use your best judgment.

Good luck and keep us posted.
    Last edited by MikeZito; Mar-16-2018 at 11:43am.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MikeZito For This Useful Post:

I'd rate the importance of a setup as top of the list for a first mandolin, liking the looks second, and tone third. Why not tone first? If you like how your mandolin looks, you'll want to play it more. If it has a good setup, you'll be able to. If you can't compare, you won't know sound.

Don't buy a mandolin and always wish it had a scroll. That is a loosing proposition. Now when you upgrade to a better mandolin, you'll be looking at $1200-1500 for a used A vs $2500 up for an F. That is when you settle for an A that sounds wonderful, unless you have the $2500 of course.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

5. The following members say thank you to Br1ck for this post:

FredK 

I can't speak to the quality of the Kentucky mandolins other than to say the chatter on this forum indicates they have improved recently. I can speak directly to The Loar 520. I bought one in January and love it. Has what I believe to be nice tone and there are no obvious problems with fit and finish. The set up outta the box wasnt awful, but the nut and saddle did need some work and the action was high. After set up, playability is great. I am pretty new to the mandolin world so take this for what its worth. I did recently attend Wintergrass where I had an opportunity to play a lot of mandolins from Eastmans on up to a Gilchrist. I did not leave any less satisfied with The Loar. Sure a lot of those were extremely nice instruments, but none could be had for $500.

Thanks for the info.

Just pulled the trigger on a Loar 520.

Can’t wait till it arrives!

I about half disagree with Br1ck. If you play any other instrument and especially string instrument I think sound is the most important even before set up because you know that set up changes things. If looks are so important to you, and they may be to a totals novice then Br1ck may be right, you may practice more. But I promise you one thing, as you advance and become a musician the sound will become the most important. Having said that if you play any thing else or not, a set up on a mandolin can be the difference between a good playing instrument and an almost impossible to play instrument. More critical than any other instrument IMHO.

===========

Quote Originally Posted by Joe_Guitar View Post
    Thanks for the info.

Keep us updated . . . and don't forget the pictures!

We really do not disagree. OP bought a Loar. Once he gets some time in and can play some, he'll pick up a Weber Gallatin or some such and lust after the tone an afordable A can bring to the table. The lower end of the mandolin market is not hugely different, at least to me, but the difference between a $700 import and a Weber, Collings, etc. is huge.

It it's just as likely he upgrades to a better F. Do not underestimate the power of the scroll.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

11. The following members say thank you to Br1ck for this post:

If you live near a guitar center, they have the most generous return policy I've ever seen. 45 days from purchase for any reason (unless you break it or something).

I've tried out quite a few mandos this way, and occasionally check their used section on the website to see if there's something I'd like to play for a bit. The only thing is, you have to eat the shipping, but I think of it as more of a 45 day rental. Never got a complaint from a GC empolyee over the excessive returning...

You guys are right about the power of the scroll!

The mandolin is a blast to play. As soon as I got the loar, I learned a few tunes that I play on guitar and banjo.

As everyone else does, was looking at mandolins and saw a blonde one. Showed my wife & she made me get it. How awesome is that!

Here's a pic of them together.

The mandolin is a blast to play. As soon as I got the loar, I learned a few tunes that I play on guitar and banjo.

As everyone else does, was looking at mandolins and saw a blonde one. Showed my wife & she made me get it. How awesome is that!

The mandolins look good together, congratulations, also on the wife, she sounds like a keeper. Does she have sister ? maybe in runs in the family.

Lucky man. My wife would slap me if she caught me looking at blondes

Are you serious? You start with a Loar 520 (about $500) and within a month you get a Gibson Gold Rush (over $8000)?

This has GOT to be some kind of record for the quickest, steepest upgrade in Mandolin Cafe history!
    Don

2016 Weber Custom Bitterroot F
    2011 Weber Bitterroot A
    1974 Martin Style A

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to multidon For This Useful Post:

Registered User Charlie Bernstein's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Br1ck View Post
    I'd rate the importance of a setup as top of the list for a first mandolin, liking the looks second, and tone third . . . .
    Good advice, but remember that it depends on the person. Joe is the best judge of what matters to him. I go in a different order.

My first criterion is playability, which involves questions of setup, neck shape, fretboard width and length, radiused versus flat fretboard, Florida versus fretboard end, string choice, the cut of the nut, tuner stability, and pickup considerations. Volume is second. Tone is third.

Looks come fourth. I like pretty instruments, but I'd rather play something that sounds good than looks good.

My parents bought me my first guitar without consulting me. (Surprise!) It was hell to play. Didn't discourage me, though!

For me sound has to come first. If an instrument doesn’t sound good, what’s the point? You will never warm up to an instrument if you don’t love the sound. By sound I mean tone quality, not volume. Volume as a criteria is a red herring. An instrument should be responsive to you, capable of loud and soft and everything in between, while maintaining quality of sound throughout all levels.

Second is playability, but a close second. You can adapt to a slightly different neck profile, different fret sizes, flat or radius board, etc. to get the sound you want. But there are limits. Playability goes hand in hand with sound quality.

I think bang for the buck has to come in there somewhere. It’s no trick to get a nice instrument if you spend big bucks. But there are bargains out there.

Looks are way back there. I agree with Charlie that it’s nice to play an attractive instrument. However, I bought my Weber F based on sound and playability, plus bang for the buck. It is finished in a very dark “fern burst” that people actually pay extra for, but it’s not my cup of tea. But based on all the other criteria, purchase was a no brainer. It’s amazing how you can sort of get used to an instrument that’s not your aesthetic ideal if it pleases you in every other way.
    Don

2016 Weber Custom Bitterroot F
    2011 Weber Bitterroot A
    1974 Martin Style A

20. The following members say thank you to multidon for this post:

Registered User Charlie Bernstein's Avatar

Thanks for the info.

Enjoy!