Thread: What is my next Mandolin???

Default What is my next Mandolin???

Hi All:

I am primarily a guitarist (45 years) and have playing mandolin for about 5 years. I have a Rover and want to upgrade. My biggest problem is that as a guitarist, I'm a gear snob. I can't justify a large >$1000.00 on a new mando. My one requirement is a wider fingerboard.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    Ron

Blog Entries

Default Re: What is my next Mandolin???

What guitar do you play the most? You'll want a mandolin comparable to the quality of that guitar

PRS David Grissom

Buy used from the classifieds. or Reverb. Does Reverb advertise here? Don't want to go against the grain.
    • Seagull S8 • Weber Y2K6 • David Hudson Bloodwood Didgeridoo (C#) •

My Florida is scooped pheffernan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rdamato View Post
    I am primarily a guitarist (45 years) and have playing mandolin for about 5 years. I have a Rover and want to upgrade. My biggest problem is that as a guitarist, I'm a gear snob. I can't justify a large >$1000.00 on a new mando. My one requirement is a wider fingerboard.
    A used Breedlove (not the Crossover models) would give you pride of ownership as a gear snob with a reputable American brand using solid woods and featuring a wider nut. I've seen the OO/OF, FO/FF, and KO/KF all listed used for less than $1000.
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z
    2010 Black GBOM
    2017 Poe Scout
    2014 Smart F-Style Mandola
    2018 Vessel TM5
    2019 Hogan F5

6. The following members say thank you to pheffernan for this post:

Was going to recommend the same thing. Used Bend, Oregon Breedlove. Wide nut and a fine US made mandolin. Highest you'd like have to go is $1200.00. $1000.00 and under is a reality.
    Ray Dearstone #009 D1A (1999)
    Skip Kelley #063 Offset Two Point (2017)
    Arches #9 A Style (2005)
    Bourgeois M5A (2022)
    Hohner and Seydel Harmonicas (various keys)

"Heck, Jimmy Martin don't even believe in Santy Claus!"

What does it mean to be a gear snob? Does it mean that you want to impress other people with what you are playing or do you just want a good quality instrument that sounds good? Maybe drop the snob part (you have your PRS already) and get the best your money can buy.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

9. The following members say thank you to Jim Garber for this post:

Mediocre but OK with that Paul Busman's Avatar

If you live anywhere remotely near a dealer that carries a lot of mandolins go there,play them all, and if there's one you love and you can afford it, that's the best one for you. Bottom line, that's what really matters.You're hopefully going to have this for a long time, so even if you have to drive several hours, it would be worth it.Call ahead to see what they have available for testing.
    For wooden musical fun that doesn't involve strumming, check out:
    www.busmanwhistles.com
    Handcrafted pennywhistles in exotic hardwoods.

Quote Originally Posted by rdamato View Post
    PRS David Grissom
    I just checked what these are going for and I think you either need to drop the snob factor or up your price if you want something equivalent in snobbishness.

More than a few folks here have stated the general guidelines for new instruments that the price of an equivalent-quality new mandolin is about twice what a new guitar costs. I believe that would be true for the low to mid-priced instruments but maybe not so much for higher-end. Then again, I think you can get a good, well-made and fine playing mandolin for twice or three times your stated limit. Otherwise you will have to stay a guitar snob, but give up on the mandolin snob.

Still, if you upped your limit to about 1/2 of what you paid for your PRS, you could get quite a nice mandolin.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Would you be happy with a $500 guitar? If not, I doubt you would be happy with a $1000 mandolin.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ray(T) For This Useful Post:

I looked up that PRS David Grissom. We're likely talking an F5G, at this juncture. F9 might be a go. But then again you want the wide neck. Maybe an F5S by Northfield with a wide neck? Weber makes some nice wide necks. I got my Wide Neck Gallatin A for under $1800.00. F5S by Northfield could be got for $3000.00. There are plenty of options.
    Arches #9 A Style (2005)
    Bourgeois M5A (2022)

If you have a prayer of joining the mandolin snob club, prepare to pony up $7500 or more, otherwise you just have a nice mandolin. On second thought, $7500-15,000 just gets you a really nice mandolin, and really, it takes $25,000 to join the mandolin snob club. Even then, you pretty much have to be a jerk, and how many jerks do you know with $25,000 mandolins? Pretty small club.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

When you're ready to play, just bite the bullet and buy this.
    https://themandolinstore.com/product...3-16-wide-nut/

17. The following members say thank you to meado for this post:

Blog Entries

Wow snob club, someone rubbed you the wrong way? Some people get what they can afford and not everybody that owns a high end mandolin is a jerk. Let's try and stop the negativity and be happy obsessed mandolin pickers.

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to William Smith For This Useful Post:

THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

I wouldn't sell my American made Breedlove Olympic for $1,000.... I also play both guitar and mandolin, like a lot of folks here. Although I like my Santa Cruz, 1966 D-18 and Tim O'Brien 00-18, I also like my Recording Kings that I got for $150 and $200. The same is true for mandolins. More money will generally get a better instrument but diminishing marginal returns are in play, too. Just last night, I played and compared my Silverangel A model, the Breedlove, and a low end Washburn that was my first mandolin because I had those three out. I could live with just the Washburn and make music on it but I'm happy that I've been blessed to be able to have the others. Are they 10 times better than the Washburn? Hard to say but to me they are, and that's what matters.

Quote Originally Posted by ToneDeaf View Post
    I wouldn't sell my American made Breedlove Olympic for $1,000.... I also play both guitar and mandolin, like a lot of folks here. Although I like my Santa Cruz, 1966 D-18 and Tim O'Brien 00-18, I also like my Recording Kings that I got for $150 and $200. The same is true for mandolins. More money will generally get a better instrument but diminishing marginal returns are in play, too. Just last night, I played and compared my Silverangel A model, the Breedlove, and a low end Washburn that was my first mandolin because I had those three out. I could live with just the Washburn and make music on it but I'm happy that I've been blessed to be able to have the others. Are they 10 times better than the Washburn? Hard to say but to me they are, and that's what matters.
    I'd certainly sell my beater for $1000 - yes its a US made Breedlove! It simply can't compete with either of my Kimbles. As for my three Santa Cruz guitars, I wouldn't like to part with any of them although I suppose they are of an equivalent standard and are worth about the same.

Quote Originally Posted by meado View Post
    When you're ready to play, just bite the bullet and buy this.
    https://themandolinstore.com/product...3-16-wide-nut/
    Wasn't aware they made a wide nut. Nice!
    Arches #9 A Style (2005)
    Bourgeois M5A (2022)