Thread: New to me Breedlove Premier 00

Default New to me Breedlove Premier 00

I finally decided to sell off my 1994 Flatiron Performer A. It was as good a bluegrass style mandolin as one could hope for, except for the skinny, narrow neck and the fact that I only occasionally play bluegrass. Mostly, old time, Celtic, and cute little duets with my fiddler wife. Mostly open chords and fiddle tunes. For that I mostly employed my Lafferty LA-2 oval hole A model.

Since then I picked up a pretty little Breedlove Premier 00. This Bend Oregon product is very cleanly and simply made, with a nice spruce top and moderately figured maple body. The wood construction is very clean and tidy as is Breedlove custom (my finger picking guitar is a Breedlove). The neck is very roomy and feels quite similar to my Lafferty.

The tone is a very sweet oval hole ocean of openness. The bass is soft edged and sweet. The treble is loud, but sweet. The sound is much more sustaining than I am accustomed to. Great for open chords and duets with the fiddle.

The Breedlove was in almost new condition except for a clearly cattywampus mounted tailpiece, which I removed and mounted correctly.

2. The following members say thank you to George Henry for this post:

Default Re: New to me Breedlove Premier 00

I have two Breedloves (see signature) and both started off excellent and remain so to this day. Both are Bend-made. The Legacy is my primary mandolin.
    David Hopkins

2001 Gibson F-5L mandolin
    Breedlove Legacy FF mandolin; Breedlove Quartz FF mandolin
    Gibson F-4 mandolin (1916); Blevins f-style Octave mandolin, 2018
    McCormick Oval Sound Hole "Reinhardt" Mandolin
    McCormick Solid Body F-Style Electric Mandolin; Slingerland Songster Guitar (c. 1939)

The older I get, the less tolerant I am of political correctness, incompetence and stupidity.

I'm also the proud owner of a 2014 Premier OO. Of the other mandolins I've played in the last year and a half, the only other one that tempted me with MAS was another Breedlove oval hole, so I guess they just suit me!

Blog Entries

Congrats on the Breedlove. You chose a nice mandolin. Enjoy!
    2014 BRW F5 #114
    2022 Kentucky KM 950 Master Model

YouTube Original Recording of My composition "Closer Walk"

Quote Originally Posted by George Henry View Post
    I finally decided to sell off my 1994 Flatiron Performer A. It was as good a bluegrass style mandolin as one could hope for, except for the skinny, narrow neck and the fact that I only occasionally play bluegrass. Mostly, old time, Celtic, and cute little duets with my fiddler wife. Mostly open chords and fiddle tunes. For that I mostly employed my Lafferty LA-2 oval hole A model.

Since then I picked up a pretty little Breedlove Premier 00. This Bend Oregon product is very cleanly and simply made, with a nice spruce top and moderately figured maple body. The wood construction is very clean and tidy as is Breedlove custom (my finger picking guitar is a Breedlove). The neck is very roomy and feels quite similar to my Lafferty.

The tone is a very sweet oval hole ocean of openness. The bass is soft edged and sweet. The treble is loud, but sweet. The sound is much more sustaining than I am accustomed to. Great for open chords and duets with the fiddle.

The Breedlove was in almost new condition except for a clearly cattywampus mounted tailpiece, which I removed and mounted correctly.
    Had a Bend made Premier OF and always have regretted selling it. I now have a Legacy OF A/E. I believe the Bend made Breedloves to be some of the most underrated US made mandolins around. That Premier was so loud. Love the wide necks too. I'll bet you got a great deal also. Bedell really undercut the re-sale prices of the US models when he started making the mandolins in China.
    Ray Dearstone #009 D1A (1999)
    Skip Kelley #063 Offset Two Point (2017)
    Arches #9 A Style (2005)
    Bourgeois M5A (2022)
    Hohner and Seydel Harmonicas (various keys)

"Heck, Jimmy Martin don't even believe in Santy Claus!"

I miss my Flatiron, but the Breedlove serves my needs better. It was one in and one out. The Lafferty moves to jam master.
    Last edited by George Henry; Mar-15-2018 at 9:53pm. Reason: Misspell

I had the chance to play the Breedlove at it's first jam, playing mostly contra dance tunes. The Breedlove fit in quite well in that gentrified context, with it's sweet tone and full sounding chords. I found that the mando has a pretty high headroom. I can hit it pretty hard, without the sound breaking up or getting shrill. The bass is rich, with sustaining depth.