Thread: Transtint on spruce.

Default Transtint on spruce.

I have been playing around with Transtint getting ready to attempt a sunburst. When I apply it to maple, I can get the look that I want. Looks pretty good , if I do say so myself. BUT, spruce is a whole different animal. My question is, what do experienced sunbursters do to prep their spruce top prior to Transtint. My spruce is coming out uneven and blotchy, no matter what I do.

Default Re: Transtint on spruce.

Sanding sealer with shellac can help. I use TransTints in alcohol, so a pre-wipe with alcohol can also help pre-wet the more porous areas.

Of course, there's airbrushing to even things out.

Steve
    Steve Sorensen
    Sorensen Mandolin & Guitar Co.
    www.sorensenstrings.com

Pre-wetting helps. Use alcohol if using alcohol dyes and water if using water dyes. Due to the nature of spruce and the fact that you're staining through cross cut grain, there will always be some degree of splotching. Airbrushing instead of hand application may create a more even tone. I typically hand apply then touch up with some airbrushing.

Evenly sand it with 400 or 600 grit. That will help close up the grain without the need for sealer. I use dye with water since its easier to fade and gives more time before it dries.