Thread: Pick preference on octave?

Default Pick preference on octave?

This has certainly been covered, just haven't been able to find it on a Google or site search.

Do folks have a different pick preference when playing octave mandolin? So far am noticing picks that transmit a lot of high frequencies, i.e. BC TAD-40 really make my playing sound out of tune. Especially the E string overtones. Whereas a Clayton doesn't do that.

Do what's your preference? Same as regular mandolin or something different? Thanks in advance.
    Brentrup Model 23, Boeh A5 #37, Gibson A Jr., Flatiron 1N, Coombe Classical flattop, Strad-O-Lin
    https://www.facebook.com/LauluAika/
    https://www.lauluaika.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/Longtine-Am...14404553312723

but that's just me Bertram Henze's Avatar

Default Re: Pick preference on octave?

The less rigid the strings, the lighter the pick. An OM with its longer scale requires a lighter choice than a mandolin.

I have gravitated towards Clayton Spike Triangles 0.72.
    the world is better off without bad ideas, good ideas are better off without the world

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bertram Henze For This Useful Post:

I use the same pick on my Weber OM that I use on my Lebeda mandolin, a Blue Chip TAD40-1R. Works fine for both, with my style and the sounds I'm looking for. I use that same pick for acoustic steel string guitar too.

The picking technique is a little different for all three instruments, but as an interface to the strings, that single pick just works for me. Saves me some money too, since I just need two BC picks -- main and backup.
    Lebeda F-5 mandolin, redwood top
    Weber Yellowstone F-5 octave mandolin

5. The following members say thank you to foldedpath for this post:

Use a CT-55 on mandolin, but a TAD-50 or Wegen TF-120 on OM and mandocello. If I'm doing almost all strumming I'll use the TAD 40 I favor for guitar on the OM, but only rarely. So, yes, what Bertram said, though I can't go quite as light as him...
    Chuck

7. The following members say thank you to CES for this post:

I use a bigger, thicker pick, a Pro-Plec I think, on my OM tham I do on the mandolins where I use a jazz style Dava. The OM pretty heavily strung and a 20" scale.
    - Jeremy

Wot no catchphrase?

9. The following members say thank you to derbex for this post:

I started with heavy strings (.056 on the G course) on my 21" OM long ago, and have eased my way slowly, cautiously to a more zouk-like tone with lighter stings (.049 on the G course by now), lighter pick and lighter attitude regarding punch.
    the world is better off without bad ideas, good ideas are better off without the world

11. The following members say thank you to Bertram Henze for this post:

CES 

Quote Originally Posted by Bertram Henze View Post
    I started with heavy strings (.056 on the G course) on my 21" OM long ago, and have eased my way slowly, cautiously to a more zouk-like tone with lighter stings (.049 on the G course by now), lighter pick and lighter attitude regarding punch.
    Interesting I would like more of a zouk tone, to the extent that I am thinking of swapping the Buchanan out for something with a longer scale. My Om is specc'd for 52s, maybe I'll try a little lighter. I have it octave strung at the moment.
    - Jeremy

Wot no catchphrase?

Quote Originally Posted by derbex View Post
    Interesting I would like more of a zouk tone, to the extent that I am thinking of swapping the Buchanan out for something with a longer scale.
    In the end, I guess, fiddling with gauges is pushing the walls a bit but can take you only so far. Longer scale is the open road to the horizon. I have balanced this with other limitations in fingering the longer scale would bring, but who knows? I have a pet reference video I compare my own sound against on a regular basis, and I always lose, but the margin gets smaller

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bertram Henze For This Useful Post:

It's still early doors for me in terms of finding my way with these things, so all of the following may change a lot.

I've basically carried over my picks from the acoustic guitar and am using a Dunlop Tortex 0.50mm for strumming or a 0.60 for picking. It seems i'm using a much lighter pick than others but I'm playing a short-scale bouzouki tuned as an OM.

16. The following members say thank you to Shan Andy for this post:

I bought Dunlop smooth Primetones 1.5 for my mandolin. I liked Wegens (1.5 bluegrass) better on the mando but love the Primetomes on my GBOM. I think with these two picks I'm pretty much set.

I like my picks. I like my mando and my gbom. What to do?

Maybe I can start geeking out about cases, tailpieces, and tuners.
    Girouard Concert A5
    Girouard Custom A4
    Nordwall Cittern
    Barbi Mandola
    Crump OM-1s Octave
    www.singletonstreet.com

18. The following members say thank you to Chuck Leyda for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Leyda View Post
    I bought Dunlop smooth Primetones 1.5 for my mandolin. I liked Wegens (1.5 bluegrass) better on the mando but love the Primetomes on my GBOM. I think with these two picks I'm pretty much set.

I like my picks. I like my mando and my gbom. What to do?

Maybe I can start geeking out about cases, tailpieces, and tuners.
    You're lucky. Not only do I need to please my ear, but also the ears of my band mates.

Would love to be able to just grab a pick and that's that. Unfortunately I am too often affected by the criticism/suggestions of others.

Quote Originally Posted by Bertram Henze View Post
    The less rigid the strings, the lighter the pick. An OM with its longer scale requires a lighter choice than a mandolin.

I have gravitated towards Clayton Spike Triangles 0.72.
    I agree with Bertram and would add that, at least for my tastes, the OM pick should be somewhat more pointed as well.
    Purr more, hiss less. Barn Cat Mandolins Photo Album

21. The following members say thank you to Bob Clark for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Clark View Post
    ...the OM pick should be somewhat more pointed as well.
    Absolutely. There's nothing like it for boosting high overtones.

23. The following members say thank you to Bertram Henze for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Platt View Post
    You're lucky. Not only do I need to please my ear, but also the ears of my band mates.

Would love to be able to just grab a pick and that's that. Unfortunately I am too often affected by the criticism/suggestions of others.
    My bandmates are either pragmatic or resigned to their fate I guess. Whatever pick I use, I pretty much sound like myself. If I were to ask about pick choice they would say "it sounds fine".
    Girouard Concert A5
    Girouard Custom A4
    Nordwall Cittern
    Barbi Mandola
    Crump OM-1s Octave
    www.singletonstreet.com

25. The following members say thank you to Chuck Leyda for this post: