Thread: Bridge strings spacing

Default Bridge strings spacing

I'd like to get my Eastman MD-315's strings spaced more closely together. By that, I mean the strings in each pair closer, leaving more room between each pair overall. How close is too close?

Default Re: Bridge strings spacing

There is not one answer except, so they don't touch each other when played. Gauge of strings, scale length, how hard you play, will all make a difference. You should be able to get the plain strings a little closer together than the wound. Are the strings to the outside of your fingerboard now. Are they as close to each end at the nut as they are at the bridge side. If there is more room at the bridge side, and a lot of times there is, you can move each chorus to the outside on the saddle, without changing spacing and get more distance between the choruses.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

Thanks. I'm happy with where the outside G & E are. I have a spare saddle, so my thought is to try moving all of them just a little closer, to see if I like it. Shouldn't take much time, and it won't cost anything.

I don't have another nut, so I'm not going to mess with that at this point.

Came out decent. I should've gone closer together with the wound strings, and moved the E course closer to the edge. Regardless, I prefer the closer spacing, so now I'll get another saddle and give it another shot at some point.

If the string slots aren't too deep and the saddle is tall enough just level it out and start over. Or fill one of the old slots with dust and glue and move the string, since you will only need the fill to hold the string from moving sideways it won't hurt tone. When you get it the way you want and the look doesn't bother you play it, if it bothers you, you have a template for a new saddle that is correct.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

6. The following members say thank you to pops1 for this post: