Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: kentucky

===========

Default Re: kentucky

Hi Tan:

Your best best is to contact the Cafe' sponsors directly, through their individual websites, and work out the details with them. My experience with these sellers has always been that they offer excellent set-ups and the items are well packaged. I would imagine that availability of cases, international shipping and payment forms will vary from sponsor-to-sponsor - so check with as many dealers as you can to work out the best deal for you.

Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeZito View Post
    Hey Tan:

From my limited experience, the choice between the 150 and the 505 is pretty much even - both are solid wood instruments, with the 505 being a little fancier in design.

I won't recommend one instrument over another, but what I will recommend is that you buy from a Cafe' sponsor who will do a proper set-up on your instrument before shipping it to you, as opposed to buying from a place like Musician's Friend who will simply re-ship you the mandolin, just as they got it, straight from the factory. Without a proper set-up, there is a much better chance that the mandolin will not play and/or sound as good as it possibly can, and therefore may not be as enjoyable to you.

Good luck, welcome aboard and keep us posted.
    I have a 505 and doubt if a 150 has the same grade of wood used for the top and back. Mine is a recent build, after the move of the 500 series to the new facility. The wood on my 505 is beautiful,with highly flamed maple that I think is indicative of a higher grade of wood than one would find in the 150. There is nothing wrong with the 150 at all, but IMHO there are more substantive differences than fancier design. I hope the OP finds the perfect Kentucky. They are certainly enjoyable instruments.
    Last edited by Rdeane; Mar-18-2018 at 11:55am.

Quote Originally Posted by Rdeane View Post
    I have a 505 and doubt if a 150 has the same grade of wood used for the top and back. Mine is a recent build, after the move of the 500 series to the new facility. The wood on my 505 is beautiful,with highly flamed maple that I think is indicative of a higher grade of wood than one would find in the 150. There is nothing wrong with the 150 at all, but IMHO there are more substantive differences than fancier design. I hope the OP finds the perfect Kentucky. They are certainly enjoyable instruments.
    Can you mention places that currently stock the KM 505.The Mandolin Store has no stock of this model.

Tanx buddy.

Tan

===========

Hey Tan:

I don't see any anything currently in stock from the places that I am most familiar with, but if you send inquiries to any of the Cafe sponsors who are Kentucky dealers, they may be able to give you an idea of when they are expecting more to arrive. For starters you can try The Mandolin Store or FolkMusician.com. If anyone else has any suggestion, please feel free to chime in . . . as I have said in a few previous posts, I am not an expert on this stuff - just another bad mandolin player trying to be helpful . . . .

Thanks.

It appears that several sites are showing more expected on 3/28, so that indicates there aren't any generally available. When I got mine I had a wait of 3-4 weeks before the stock even arrived at Saga. I was ordering through a dealer, and he had to wait to get one. It did arrive about a week earlier than expected, so that was a nice surprise. I think this mandolin is worth the wait of a few weeks. I agree with MikeZito - check out sponsors here. They will treat you right and do a good setup for you.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeZito View Post
    Hey Tan:

I don't see any anything currently in stock from the places that I am most familiar with, but if you send inquiries to any of the Cafe sponsors who are Kentucky dealers, they may be able to give you an idea of when they are expecting more to arrive. For starters you can try The Mandolin Store or FolkMusician.com. If anyone else has any suggestion, please feel free to chime in . . . as I have said in a few previous posts, I am not an expert on this stuff - just another bad mandolin player trying to be helpful . . . .

Thanks.
    Amazon has two in stock now. Of course, that would be un-setup, sooo...
    We are the music makers,
    And we are the dreamers of dreams

I've been playing a KM 150 for a few years now and the tone never ceases to amaze me ( and I won't even add ' for the money ' )
    I had an Eastman , couple of Epiphones , played many many other brands at festivals and such ...played many Kentuckys in the 600 series ( wasn't impresses )played a J Bovier and as nice as that really was ...well ....I'm sure my point is made . I love the tone from the lowly KM-150 .

BUT saying that ...I've never quite settled in with the the flat fretboard and have wondered whether moving to the radiused KM 250 series or the KM 500 series would resolve that issue AND , more importantly , would I get as good or better tone from that small upgrade ? Have not been able to play ( or even find ) either of those models to A-B with my kentucky 150 .

I am lucky enough to own three Kentuckys: a 150 a 505 and a 630. They each have their own particular virtues. and as long as I remain solvent I shall keep and enjoy them all. But i confess that I'd swap all three for any one of the Northfields I've played.

Quote Originally Posted by Darren Bailey View Post
    I am lucky enough to own three Kentuckys: a 150 a 505 and a 630. They each have their own particular virtues. and as long as I remain solvent I shall keep and enjoy them all. But i confess that I'd swap all three for any one of the Northfields I've played.
    Anyone willing to create some sound files mp3s or videos, so there can be comparison of the sound quality and texture of the combination woods of the Kentucky KM 150, and the KM 505 or any other KM xxx that sparkles in sonic domain sound production.Grazie!

Tanino de K.B.
    Last edited by KoalaBear; Mar-18-2018 at 8:56pm. Reason: Clarify request.

===========

A good place to start for video would be YouTube - just type in any Kentucky model number, an you are practically guaranteed to find videos that you can listen to . . . .

I don't think I've responded to this yet, but I guess I should. I got a really nice deal on a Kentucky KM-252, set up by Robert at Folk Musician, and I love it. Seriously, people are not kidding that these cheap (relatively speaking) instruments sound awesome.

12. The following members say thank you to MoreThanQuinn for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by KoalaBear View Post
    Anyone willing to create some sound files mp3s or videos, so there can be comparison of the sound quality and texture of the combination woods of the Kentucky KM 150, and the KM 505 or any other KM xxx that sparkles in sonic domain sound production.Grazie!

Tanino de K.B.

me 'n my Km 150 mandolin ...( hope the attachment worked ..? )
    Attached Files Attached Files

14. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to roysboy For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by roysboy View Post
    It worked. You and the KM-150 sound fantastic. Would make a great advertisement for Kentucky!
    "I play BG so that's what I can talk intelligently about." A line I loved and pirated from Mandoplumb

Quote Originally Posted by FLATROCK HILL View Post
    It worked. You and the KM-150 sound fantastic. Would make a great advertisement for Kentucky!
    Thanks FH ....yeah ....I was amazed that the KM-150 sounded as good as it did 'off the rack' .. (4-5 years now ? ) I did some minor tweaks to the action / bridge .....and that was it . Everything else is stock .

I played one other in the shop . It was identical in sound . I also heard someone playing one at a jam one time so I got the opportunity to listen to it ' in context' as it were and once again was impressed by its volume and overall warmth . I considered having it radiused but decided I'd be as wise to perhaps just look at a Km 250 or Km 505 if and when I get the chance to play/listen to one .

I cannot recommend the new 150's highly enough

You sound great! Guitarist is pretty great too! Nice work.
    Girouard Concert A5
    Girouard Custom A4
    Nordwall Cittern
    Barbi Mandola
    Crump OM-1s Octave
    www.singletonstreet.com

===========

Quote Originally Posted by FLATROCK HILL View Post
    +1

Beautiful tone - beautifully played. A+

I've been playing a KM 150 for a few years now and the tone never ceases to amaze me ( and I won't even add ' for the money ' )
    I had an Eastman , couple of Epiphones , played many many other brands at festivals and such ...played many Kentuckys in the 600 series ( wasn't impresses )played a J Bovier and as nice as that really was ...well ....I'm sure my point is made . I love the tone from the lowly KM-150 .

BUT saying that ...I've never quite settled in with the the flat fretboard and have wondered whether moving to the radiused KM 250 series or the KM 500 series would resolve that issue AND , more importantly , would I get as good or better tone from that small upgrade ? Have not been able to play ( or even find ) either of those models to A-B with my kentucky 150 .
    After considering all your opinions and listening to several videos of the different KM models am deciding to go with the Kentucky KM 150 simply cause it has superior fundamentals whereas the KM 505 is great for Irish music and has a clutter of overtones that drown out the pure sound of its essential fundamentals.Say no more:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fX2o1LwVacs

Tanx all.

Quote Originally Posted by KoalaBear View Post
    After considering all your opinions and listening to several videos of the different KM models am deciding to go with the Kentucky KM 150 simply cause it has superior fundamentals whereas the KM 505 is great for Irish music and has a clutter of overtones that drown out the pure sound of its essential fundamentals.Say no more:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fX2o1LwVacs

Tanx all.

thanks to all for the nice compliments above ( ....yes ...that's me on guitar also thanks to the miracle of multi-tracking ).

I think you'll be pretty happy with the KM 150 Koala.Hopefully you can play one beofre committing . As I said above , the only think I'd change about mine is the flat fretboard . I got a bit spoiled by a radiused fretboard on my Eastman but fell in love with the Kentucky sound .
    Best of luck

This is why I am not a big fan of using recordings to compare instruments. Roysboy's recording sounds great, and I bet it would sound pretty much exactly the same if he was using a KM-505 of the same vintage (had to throw "vintage" in here - reference other thread). In person, these two instruments (If close in manufacture date) will sound very similar.
    Robert Fear
    http://www.folkmusician.com

"Education is when you read the fine print; experience is what you get when you don't.
    " - Pete Seeger

can anyone give me the models of the Kentuckys that are considered "professional" grade and how do the compare to say jbovier and other similar? I see a lot of 625's and the like for sale but not sure how they would compare. any help is appreciated

I also have a Kentucky Km-805 which I got from Robert. great sounding mandolin for the money.

what about km 700 or 1000 or 1050

what are the best Kentuckys to search for? 700, 800 1000 etc

For current models, 1000, 1050, 1500
    Robert Fear
    http://www.folkmusician.com

"Education is when you read the fine print; experience is what you get when you don't.
    " - Pete Seeger

[QUOTE=Austin Bob;1640288]I don't know what year the Gibson is, but the newer mandolins are some of the best they've ever produced. If you find a used one at a fair price, it will most likely hold it's value or even increase.

Nothing against Austin Bob here but please... NEVER assume that any instrument will increase in value. I learned the hard way many times... and high ticket mandolins should never be bought for investment purposes... believe me friends, I learned the hard way...