Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Results 76 to 84 of 84

Thread: kentucky

  1. #76
    Registered User tbown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    Crystal Beach, FL
    Posts
    50

    Default Re: kentucky

    I own two Gibson's. One really old (1925) F4 and one relatively new (2001) F5 Sam Bush. Love them both for different reasons. Both play very differently (not going into sound and tone here). My first decent F5 was a mid/late 80s KM-1000 that I would still own if I didn't trade it in on my first Gibson (which I no longer have). The KM-1000 played more like the 1925 F4 neck-wise -- flat fretboard, small, flat fret wire. I love the feel. It was extremely easy to play -- and I have a couple clubs for hands. I also own a 1990 KM-DAWG that, while modeled after a Monteleone Grand Artist and has a radiused fretboard, it plays more like the 80's KM-1000 and 20's F4.

    I can't speak for the newer Kentucky brand since I haven't picked one up, but I hear good things about them and if there build quality is *anything* close to the "vintage" Kentuckys (Kentuckies??), I wouldn't have a second thought about owning one.

    As for my MAS, I don't think anything will cure that for more than a couple months! ALWAYS looking! :-)
    ========================
    1925 Gibson F4
    1964 Fender Mandocaster
    1990 Kentucky KM-DAWG
    2012 Gibson F5 Master Model
    Various lesser stringed instruments

  2. #77
    Some Ability - No Talent MikeZito's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    Connecticut, USA
    Posts
    896
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: kentucky

    Quote Originally Posted by tbown View Post
    As for my MAS, I don't think anything will cure that for more than a couple months! ALWAYS looking!
    For me personally, it would be nothing short of a minor miracle if I went more than 6 or 8 months without buying some sort of new instrument - it seems that I'm always laying my eyes on something that sets my GAS/MAS in full motion. I guess that is part of the curse of playing several instruments . . . but I am NOT complaining!
    - 1929 Martin Style 20
    - 2015 Washburn M1SDL
    - 2016 Kentucky KM-272
    - 2017 Gretsch 9350 Park Avenue

  3. #78
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    lower alabama
    Posts
    79

    Default Re: kentucky

    Quote Originally Posted by MikeZito View Post
    For me personally, it would be nothing short of a minor miracle if I went more than 6 or 8 months without buying some sort of new instrument - it seems that I'm always laying my eyes on something that sets my GAS/MAS in full motion. I guess that is part of the curse of playing several instruments . . . but I am NOT complaining!
    Mike, have you ever attended Compton's Monroe camp? Your name is kind of familiar.

    I have had GAS for more years than I want to remember. At this point, I'm starting to think of putting some instruments in storage so we're not so crowded in here. Probably won't happen unless the better 3rd agrees to move out some of her paintings, too. I'm really trying hard to fight the mandolin version, MAS, but getting weaker. There's Kimble calling my name...

    The only f hole mandolin I have is a KM900 and it's hard for me to imagine a better sounding mandolin, although I know there must be many. Many. And it's fully appointed, except for the nitro finish. I would hate to be a builder trying to compete with that kind of value.

  4. #79
    Some Ability - No Talent MikeZito's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    Connecticut, USA
    Posts
    896
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: kentucky

    Hey LowTone:

    The name Mike Zito might sound familiar to you because there is a well established blues singer/guitarist who is making the rounds (internationally) these days with the same name - but I started my 'music career' (no snickering, please) before he did, so I am the 'original' Mike Zito . . . he just happens to be the Johnny-Come-Lately who has success, talent, respect, fans and all of that other stuff that is highly overrated for musicians; (excuse me now while I turn green with envy).

    Anyhow - no I have never been to Compton's Monroe Camp, or any other camp for that matter . . . that would mean that people would have to actually hear me play, and the public is not ready for that kind of torture yet.

    It is nice to hear good things about the Kentucky 900; at some point I really do want to put a respectable F-hole mandolin in my stash, and that one has been on my radar.

    Thanks.
    - 1929 Martin Style 20
    - 2015 Washburn M1SDL
    - 2016 Kentucky KM-272
    - 2017 Gretsch 9350 Park Avenue

  5. #80

    Default Re: kentucky

    I have played a Gibson and feel in love. I am looking for a mandolin that kind of has that feel and sound. I have heard great things about kentuckys but not sure what models to look for but open to other brands as well.

  6. #81
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    lower alabama
    Posts
    79

    Default Re: kentucky

    Quote Originally Posted by MikeZito View Post
    Hey LowTone:

    The name Mike Zito might sound familiar to you because there is a well established blues singer/guitarist who is making the rounds (internationally) these days with the same name - but I started my 'music career' (no snickering, please) before he did, so I am the 'original' Mike Zito . . . he just happens to be the Johnny-Come-Lately who has success, talent, respect, fans and all of that other stuff that is highly overrated for musicians; (excuse me now while I turn green with envy).

    Anyhow - no I have never been to Compton's Monroe Camp, or any other camp for that matter . . . that would mean that people would have to actually hear me play, and the public is not ready for that kind of torture yet.

    It is nice to hear good things about the Kentucky 900; at some point I really do want to put a respectable F-hole mandolin in my stash, and that one has been on my radar.

    Thanks.
    Yeah, there was a guy with a similar name at a camp I went to, and i'm pretty sure he was from Connecticut.

    I know the zito you're talking about though. This guy here.


  7. #82
    Some Ability - No Talent MikeZito's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    Connecticut, USA
    Posts
    896
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: kentucky

    Several years ago the blues Mike Zito played a gig a couple of towns over from where I live. It turns out, the woman who owns a local record store, where I used to shop quite often, was sponsoring the show. Even though I was a regular customer of hers for a while, she did not know my name. (I don't use credit or debit cards, so she never saw my name anywhere.) A few days before the show I was in her store, saw a flyer for the show, showed her my drivers license and said "Tell Mike Zito that Mike Zito said hello."

    It has happened on numerous occasions that I am mistaken for the blues Zito. Somewhere on the internet there is an old video of me from the mid 1990's, doing an acoustic song. I stumbled across the video one day and read the comments. One person said: "That must be Zito before he started doing blues"; but another commenter said: "I think it might be somebody else."

    My 10 seconds of fame . . . being mistaken for a real musician . . .
    - 1929 Martin Style 20
    - 2015 Washburn M1SDL
    - 2016 Kentucky KM-272
    - 2017 Gretsch 9350 Park Avenue

  8. The following members say thank you to MikeZito for this post:


  9. #83

    Default Re: kentucky

    Any thoughts on 80's KM-650? Japanese I think

  10. #84

    Default Re: kentucky

    any help? Kentucky 805 or 80's 700 or 650?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •