Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: kentucky

Gibson F5L Gibson A5L
    Blog Entries

Default Re: kentucky

Well ... I have not owned a Kentucky mandolin. I have been playing and hearing them in music stores and at jams for decades. I consider them to be the best of the mid and low priced instruments available to aspiring mandolin students. Their higher priced instruments are very good and suitable for professional level work. Keep in mind that I prefer a Gibson like tone from a mandolin and that preference colors my opinion. R/
    I love hanging out with mandolin nerds . . . . . Thanks peeps ...

Thank you to everyone or your thoughts. Its nice to know you can get good advice from people who are FAR more knowledgeable than I. As far as the Gibson goes it is a 2006 F5G Master I believe. Plays like butter and there is something about the tone. I can't really explain but sounds so sweet when you play it softly. I can't get that sound out of mine no matter what I do. I am really new and an older learner so i don't know nothing from apple butter and i may be able to get the same tone and feel from another mandolin as well just not mine. As far as Kentuckys go which ones should I be searching for? I am very conflicted! Thank you all again!! It is much appreciated.

As a mandolin teacher here in Bellingham, WA I'll say that the 2 best mandolin brands for under $500 are Kentucky and Eastman with the edge in sound going to Kentucky and the edge in setup and playability going to Eastman. This applies for all mandolins under $1000. It seems like Kentucky has really got that tone dialed in. Impressively so...

Dave Sheets

"...I can't really explain but sounds so sweet when you play it softly. I can't get that sound out of mine no matter what I do."

I'm afraid this is a bad sign there Jim! You're probably doomed once ya start writing about mandolins that way
    Welcome to the club.

A bit of unasked for advice- if you really loved that Gibson but can't swing it, buy yourself an absolute bare-bones Kentucky (but solid wood) to get yourself going and save for the Gibson. A used Gibson will hold value pretty well, so you can get the money back out of it down the road.
    -Dave
    Flatiron A
    Way too many other instruments

Jim, what is your budget? Once we know that we can help you spend your hard earned dollars.
    Charley

A bunch of stuff with four strings

My F5 is a 2005 F5g. Find a way. Those are good mandolins.
    Mike Snyder

I really have no budget in mind however i don't want to spend as much as buying a new car or need to finance it over 7 years. lol

Quote Originally Posted by jim1966 View Post
    I really have no budget in mind however i don't want to spend as much as buying a new car or need to finance it over 7 years. lol
    New cars cost 20-50k.
    Nice mandolins are a great deal compared to a car!
    2007 Weber Custom Elite "old wood"
    2017 Ratliff R5 Custom #1148
    Several nice old Fiddles
    2007 Martin 000-15S 12 fret Auditorium-slot head
    Deering Classic Open Back
    Too many microphones

BridgerCreekBoys.com

If a nice mando is worth $2 a day (cheap coffee pricing) and you pay it off for 7 years, that's a $5000 mandolin! Go for it!
    2007 Weber Custom Elite "old wood"
    2017 Ratliff R5 Custom #1148
    Several nice old Fiddles
    2007 Martin 000-15S 12 fret Auditorium-slot head
    Deering Classic Open Back
    Too many microphones

BridgerCreekBoys.com

There are a number of Kentucky's listed in the classifieds at the moment. New and used. You might want to check them out. Good luck with your search.
    Charley

A bunch of stuff with four strings

Quote Originally Posted by sheets View Post
    "A bit of unasked for advice- if you really loved that Gibson but can't swing it, buy yourself an absolute bare-bones Kentucky (but solid wood) to get yourself going and save for the Gibson. A used Gibson will hold value pretty well, so you can get the money back out of it down the road.
    That is good advice no matter what your ideal mandolin is. If you do indeed know exactly what you want, get something minimally decent that you can play with some enjoyment and save save save for that pinacle of mandolinhood. Waiting is always difficult but anticipation can be sweet if you know you'll be getting exactly what you want in the end.
    We are the music makers,
    And we are the dreamers of dreams

Any ideas on models i should try?

I don't know that there is a better substitute for being able to actually put hands on and play a mandolin, and fall in love with the sound.

Otherwise, things can be rather hit-and-miss.
    Chris Cravens

Girouard A5
    Montana Flatiron A-Jr.
    Passernig Mandola
    Leo Posch D-18

===========

Any ideas on models i should try?
    Based on the fact that the Gibson you have your eye on is an F5G Master, I would suggest starting at the top of the Kentucky line with something in the 1000 series.

Somebody please correct me if I am mistaken - but as I recall the KM1500 has a deeper/wider body than the KM1000, has more 'bottom end' to the sound, and has a slightly radiused fingerboard. I have also heard that the case that comes with the KM1500 is 'better' than the KM1000 case - but don't quote me on that. Of course the 1000 line also features the 1050 and other finish variations on various instruments, which gives you a wide variety of choices.

Perhaps your best bet would be to contact one of the Cafe' sponsors who is a Kentucky dealer, (like Robert at FolkMusician.com who answered above) and let them walk you through the line .

Good luck!

I have been following this post, Thanks OP! Since my first desire (a few months ago) to try out a mondolin, I have been Jones'n for a Kentucky KM252. Reviews and the finish pushed me in that direction. I have since acquired three mandolins (see signature) and still catch myself checking out the KM252's. I often wonder if I should get one and wonder how it would compare with what I have. On another note I am also a Gibson Les Paul (in another life lol! ) lover and also keep an eye out for an A model Gibson mandolin. I have done several searches for modern/later Gibson A's and not much comes up. I am glad to know of an era to concentrate on now. Thanks.
    Mike
    Gibson Jam Master A #56
    Kentucky KM-1500 89302
    Kentucky KM-505

Ok All lets say Im looking at a 1050? any thoughts on those? also how can I tell age with serial #.

17. The following members say thank you to jim1966 for this post:

===========

I don't think that you will get too much negative reaction to a 1050 here at the Cafe' - it's a good instrument.

Here is a link to a previous discussion on Kentucky dating:

https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/s...Serial-Numbers

Good luck!

how about 1050 B040015

===========

Another hint as to dating is to see where the mandolin was made - I think the order goes something like this:

1980's: Japan
    1990's-2001: Korea
    2001 to current: China

To the best of my knowledge (again, I am NOT an expert on these things), many of these foreign-made instruments (and even some U.S. instruments) do not have serial number schemes that are accurately indicative of manufacture dates (something that is very frustrating to those of us who take stock in knowing stupid things like that) - often you have to look at the mandolin features to get an idea of dating; (i.e., logo script, certain aesthetic features, countries of manufacture, etc.). Unfortunately, Kentucky mandolins fall into the category of those instruments that sometimes do have have accurate dating representation with the serial number system.

If you can post more information, or photos, (as mentioned above), maybe we can help to narrow it down for you.

how about 1050 B040015
    hmmm, that doesn't look like a Kentucky Serial number. Any KM-1050 would be relatively new. These have only been available for around 5 years.
    Robert Fear
    http://www.folkmusician.com

"Education is when you read the fine print; experience is what you get when you don't.
    " - Pete Seeger

When I had the opportunity to visit The Mandolin Store, I got to try both a new and a used Gibson F9. The new one was better, but both were very good. I remember tHinking that nothing else had the Gibson midrange sweetness that morphed into a really nice chop, and that was the bluegrass sound.

I really like Northfield too, but it is a totally different version of good.

Have the wife call me and I'll explain why, over the next five years, it would save money if you just bought the Gibson. This all assumes you are the kind of guy who sticks with things once you set your mind to it.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

I play my KM272 more than my Collings.
    See my music at www.McMakinMusic.com

Hi gang,

my current Mando is a Barnes Mullins 100 year old instrument bought online from gumtree.com.au
    for 500 AUS. Its a good workhorse with Spruce top and Brazilian Rosewood back and sides so am the proud owner of this ancient lady.However am looking into buying a second mandolin and am considering the Kentucky brands.My search is narrowing the two contenders the Kentucky Km 150, and the Kentucky KM 505, and since am in Australia would like to place an order in the States for home delivery of one of these mandolins.Can contributors here guide me to what would be my best buy in regards to these two mandolins.Which would you recommend to me and why?My budget would be within the range of the suitable price of these instruments, as is the set price at Elderly Instruments and Musicians Friend.One of these would be a good alternative in sound to the Barnes Mullins, currently in my possession, so wait patiently for all your replies with a hearty thank you fellas.

the KoalaBear, Tan in Gondwana.

===========

Hey Tan:

From my limited experience, the choice between the 150 and the 505 is pretty much even - both are solid wood instruments, with the 505 being a little fancier in design.

I won't recommend one instrument over another, but what I will recommend is that you buy from a Cafe' sponsor who will do a proper set-up on your instrument before shipping it to you, as opposed to buying from a place like Musician's Friend who will simply re-ship you the mandolin, just as they got it, straight from the factory. Without a proper set-up, there is a much better chance that the mandolin will not play and/or sound as good as it possibly can, and therefore may not be as enjoyable to you.

Good luck, welcome aboard and keep us posted.

Hi Mike,

thanks for your reply.

.Pls explain the procedure in ordering from a Cafe Sponsor, and does the mandolin include a mandolin case?.Further,is the mando well packed for International shipping thru the Cafe Sponsor for shipment to Australia.The set up is a welcome bonus.Lastly,how is payment made with the seller?
    Many thanks for wonderful feedback.

Tan,BearKoala.