Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Calabrese 'folk' tunes

Blog Entries

Default Re: Calabrese 'folk' tunes

This one Fischiettando is on page 42 of the Southern Italian book.
    Apparently it’s a Sicilian shepherd’s tune

I couldn’t find a mandolin one handy so this one is on the friscellettu, or as they spell it here friscalettu, I’ve no idea who spells it how or where. I love how relentlessly bonkers & happy they all sound.
    Eoin

"Forget that anyone is listening to you and always listen to yourself" - Fryderyk Chopin

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Beanzy For This Useful Post:

Full Grown and Cussin' brunello97's Avatar

I think John LeBarbera has a version in one of his collections noted above. Fischiettando:whistling. But you don't need to know how to spell to guess that...

Mick
    Ever tried, ever failed? No matter. Try again, fail again. Fail better.--Samuel Beckett

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road
    '06 Bialetti expresso maker
    '14 Irish Linen Ramon Puig

4. The following members say thank you to brunello97 for this post:

I have a feeling that the difference in spelling has to do with the different Italian dialects. Years ago I found an article about Northern Italian music and I sent the link to Carlo Aonzo and he asked me if I could understand it at all since it was written in the Genovee dialect.

The video that Eoin posted above has a link to this web site: friscalettu.com/.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

6. The following members say thank you to Jim Garber for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    I have a feeling that the difference in spelling has to do with the different Italian dialects. Years ago I found an article about Northern Italian music and I sent the link to Carlo Aonzo and he asked me if I could understand it at all since it was written in the Genovee dialect.
    This is something many Americans don't get. In most of the world, the standard form of the national language is one thing, the language you speak at home may be that or it may be something different, sometimes different to the point that if you spoke it to someone who lived a couple hundred miles away they'd go "huh?"

Imagine, say, a Mississippi share cropper taking to a Maine lobster fisherman, and then amplify the difference a hundred times or so, and you'll get the kind of difference that exists between the way most people talk at home and the way they're taught to speak in school, throughout most of the world.

8. The following members say thank you to jesserules for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by jesserules View Post
    This is something many Americans don't get. In most of the world, the standard form of the national language is one thing, the language you speak at home may be that or it may be something different, sometimes different to the point that if you spoke it to someone who lived a couple hundred miles away they'd go "huh?"

Imagine, say, a Mississippi share cropper taking to a Maine lobster fisherman, and then amplify the difference a hundred times or so, and you'll get the kind of difference that exists between the way most people talk at home and the way they're taught to speak in school, throughout most of the world.
    Nicely put. Sometimes it doesn't have to be that far away. Imagine growing up in Texas and trying to understand what people from Louisiana are saying.....

Mick
    Ever tried, ever failed? No matter. Try again, fail again. Fail better.--Samuel Beckett

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road

Quote Originally Posted by jesserules View Post

Some scholars now consider some of the "dialects" to be languages in their own right:

https://www.thoughtco.com/sicilian-f...inners-2011648

"Sicilian is neither a dialect nor an accent. It’s not derived from Italian. It’s not spoken only in Sicily. Sicilian (u sicilianu) in Sicilian and siciliana in Italian) is the oldest of the Romance languages derived from Latin, and it’s spoken in Sicily and in parts of southern Italy such as Reggio di Calabria and southern Puglia. It’s derived from Latin, with Greek, Arabic, French, Provençal, German, Catalan and Spanish influences."

http://www.conigliofamily.com/TheSicilianLanguage.htm

"Many souls, even Sicilians and those of Sicilian descent, have the same misconception held by Italians and non-Italians everywhere: that "Sicilian" is simply a different, "cruder" form of the Italian language. Nothing could be further from the truth. While today's Italians and sadly, today's Sicilians, are told "by those that know" that Sicilian is the language of the poor or ignorant, the Sicilian LANGUAGE was the first "Romance" language to develop from Latin, the early language of state."

http://globalstudies551.blogspot.com...-sicilian.html

a response "Sicilian is an older language than standard Italian. In fact, there are Sicilian words in standard Italian."

"Sicilian is a language, not a dialect, and it's older than standard Italian"

http://www.dieli.net/SicilyPage/Sici...ilianLang.html

"My essay, entitled The Origin of the Sicilian Language: The uniqueness of a language and a people, may be of interest to you. English and Italian versions are posted in this section. With the recent advances in the sequencing of the human genome, another avenue of research into the origin of the prehistoric past of the Sicilian Language is now becoming available. As far as the question of whether Sicilian is a language or a dialect, the answer may be more a matter of politics than of linguistics. By my choice of a title for this page, I resolved the question to my own personal satisfaction."

http://www.dieli.net/SicilyPage/Sici...iginEssay.html

"How did the uniqueness of Sicilian manage to survive through all the foreign dominations? "

http://eucenterillinois-language.blo...n-italian.html

" Sicilian is not recognized by the national law 482 which recognizes and protects 12 languages and dialects spoken in Italy."

"Based on its vast differences in syntax, vocabulary, and grammar, Sicilian seems to be its own, unique language, not simply a dialect of Italian."

https://sites.lsa.umich.edu/translat...ent-languages/

"My background in Sicilian has given me a very basic understanding of Italian, but it is still amazing to me how different the two languages are from one another. It truly is like learning two separate languages."

http://www.wetheitalians.com/web-mag...sicilian-pride

" Since 2010, Sicilian holds the official status of language and is spoken mostly in Sicily, which is in the south of Italy. According to the UNESCO, in fact, Sicilian is a “mother language” and it could be even older than Italian! "

and many more!

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DavidKOS For This Useful Post:

Thanks, David! Interesting reading.....

Mick

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road

13. The following members say thank you to brunello97 for this post:

Sicily always struck me as possibly one of the most fascinating places, located on the remote end of Italy but historically touched by all sorts of Mediterranean cultures from Europe, Middle East and Africa. I hope to get there one of these days as well as other parts of Italy.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

15. The following members say thank you to Jim Garber for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    Sicily always struck me as possibly one of the most fascinating places, located on the remote end of Italy but historically touched by all sorts of Mediterranean cultures from Europe, Middle East and Africa. I hope to get there one of these days as well as other parts of Italy.
    It may be at the remote end of Italy (from a Northern Italian POV) but Sicily has been smack-dab in the middle of the Mediterranean forever and literally EVERYONE has either conquered or tried to rule Sicily.

It does make for a wonderful and varied culture, if a very messy history.

My point exactly, David.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

18. The following members say thank you to Jim Garber for this post:

Not to hijack this thread from the Calabrese....but in following up on David's informative post I found this discussion:

The comments / discussion section is very interesting....even if much of it is in Italian instead of Sicilian. The point about young folks adopting more "Italianisms" as the older language struggles to keep up has resonance. My nieces and nephews all speak Spanish very well, but their reading and writing skills are way behind. Almost non existent.

I also thought it fascinating that one commenter spoke of a Siclilian / Maltese / Tunisian troika of linguistic connectivity. Like David and Jim have posted that is still il mezzo del Mediterraneo. I just assumed that Tunisians spoke Arabic, but that had to come later, of course.

I had a Maltese student a couple of years ago and he was fluent in mainland Italian but spoke a Maltese language at home. He felt his island was still very much at the center of things which I also found fascinating. I need to check back in with him on questo argomento molto interassante.

Back to the OPs topic: my barber in Liguria is from Calabria. He likes to tell me: Siamo ben noti per le nostre teste dure. I like to remind him of the origin of the name "Kennedy" in Gaelic!

Mick

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road

20. The following members say thank you to brunello97 for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by DavidKOS View Post
    It may be at the remote end of Italy (from a Northern Italian POV) but Sicily has been smack-dab in the middle of the Mediterranean forever and literally EVERYONE has either conquered or tried to rule Sicily.

It does make for a wonderful and varied culture, if a very messy history.
    I thought Sicily was one we'd missed -seems I was wrong, blame Boney.
    - Jeremy

Wot no catchphrase?

22. The following members say thank you to derbex for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by brunello97 View Post
    Back to the OPs topic: my barber in Liguria is from Calabria. He likes to tell me: Siamo ben noti per le nostre teste dure. I like to remind him of the origin of the name "Kennedy" in Gaelic!

Mick
    I've heard that "teste dura" phrase a lot before, from my grandfather... in his accent it sounded more like "testa dura", the r with a d-to-t sound to it.

http://www.oocities.org/thatsfunny69...ilianwhen.html

You know you're Sicilian when....

Calabrese are always known as "testa dura"

or from youtube

How Italians Learn to Talk
    sicilian discussion with bisnonna - YouTube
    The Great grandma is complaining about her husband: O nonno tiene a testa dura (grandpa is so hard headed

24. The following members say thank you to DavidKOS for this post:

"I thought Sicily was one we'd missed -seems I was wrong, blame Boney."

Fingers in all the pies.

Mick

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to brunello97 For This Useful Post:

Sadly we are not allowed to see the video here.
    - Jeremy

Wot no catchphrase?

28. The following members say thank you to derbex for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by derbex View Post
    Sadly we are not allowed to see the video here.
    Jeremy, are you YouTube blocked out in general? Maybe click on the link in the text above?

Mick

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road

30. The following members say thank you to brunello97 for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by brunello97 View Post
    Jeremy, are you YouTube blocked out in general? Maybe click on the link in the text above?
    It's geoblocking: a lot of the album tracks uploaded on Youtube by the record labels will not play outside the US. So, Jeremy and I and everbody else in the UK can't see the video.

Martin

32. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Martin Jonas For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Jonas View Post
    It's geoblocking: a lot of the album tracks uploaded on Youtube by the record labels will not play outside the US. So, Jeremy and I and everbody else in the UK can't see the video.

Martin
    It makes up for the ones I can't see because they are blocked in the USA.

Sorry on all accounts.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Jonas View Post

Martin
    I see. Thanks, Martin.

I was unsuccessful in trying to find a copy to post of "Bonaparte's Retreat" by ex-Monkee, Mike Nesmith. No mandolin on his version, but crusher vocals. Worth tracking down.

Mick

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road

I am also trying to work my way through John LeBarbera's book. Here is my first try

36. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Brian560 For This Useful Post:

Nice, Hany! Can you tell me exactly where you found the score for the Tarantella? I'm having trouble finding it.

Sheri Mignano Crawford Mandophile's Avatar

My "Mandolin Melodies" book has it but after I pubished it, I added a second part. see attached. hope it helps.
    it's a neglected but great tarantella! each turnaround is accelerated (in keeping with the dance of death due to tarantula bite, of course!) until dancers fall to the floor out of sheer exhaustion. The tradition was to dance for a very long time (hours!) until dancers and musicians finally stop.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Tarantella Calabrese M 1 & M 2.pdf  

39. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mandophile For This Useful Post: