Thread: Guitar site good as MandolinCafe?

Default Guitar site good as MandolinCafe?

I play mando and have haunted MandolinCafe for some years now. A friend has taken up bass guitar and I'd like to point him to a site that offers the same friendly types of forums, news, and classifieds as MandolinCafe. Any suggestions? Thanks for your help.

-- mandogio

Default Re: Guitar site good as MandolinCafe?

Bass guitar with classified mostly in the US? Go to talkbass.com.

For the EU, basschat.co.uk.
    ----

Playing a funky oval-hole scroll-body mandolin, several mandolins retuned to CGDA, three CGDA-tuned Flatiron mandolas, two Flatiron mandolas tuned as octave mandolins,and a six-course 25.5" scale CGDAEB-tuned Ovation Mandophone.

Love mandola?
    Join the Mandola Social Group!

There used to be Guitar.com ran by Don Dawson which covered all forms of guitar as well as bass, one of the first forums I was active on. It fell apart in 2005 but other versions have existed since then. Nowadays it seems like there is Talkbass for bass, acousticguitarforum for acoustics, classicalguitardelcamp for classical guitar, the telecaster forum has a lot of good guitar talk as well.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mandogio View Post
    Guitar site good as MandolinCafe?
    There are some good ones - but none are close to 'good as'

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mark Wilson For This Useful Post:

Re Talkbass: the *double bass* side of TB is excellent, however the *bass guitar* side is quite a bit different; two broadly disparate populations, with dramatically different topics and discussions.

I've been frequenting the Acoustic Guitar Forum recently. It's got a great big selection of sub-forums to browse and is pretty active throughout the day: http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to chrisoff For This Useful Post:

There are guitar sites and bass sites. I used to hang in a few of them. None were as good as the Cafe.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

10. The following members say thank you to MikeEdgerton for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by catmandu2 View Post
    Re Talkbass: the *double bass* side of TB is excellent, however the *bass guitar* side is quite a bit different; two broadly disparate populations, with dramatically different topics and discussions.
    Since upright bass and electric bass guitar are very different instruments, wouldn't this be expected, in the same way the mandolin and CBOM discussions are often distinct?
    ----

Playing a funky oval-hole scroll-body mandolin, several mandolins retuned to CGDA, three CGDA-tuned Flatiron mandolas, two Flatiron mandolas tuned as octave mandolins,and a six-course 25.5" scale CGDAEB-tuned Ovation Mandophone.

Love mandola?

In the way that TB is organized, it's more like two different "sides," each with subforums, or even two different sites. I've found it easy to mistakenly click links from searches to the side I didn't want. If you find yourself inadvertantly on the unwanted side, which I've done at times, you'll be wasting some time for sure.

This aspect makes it quite different (and problematic, for me) from navigating here, vis a vis "cbom," etc. (which is why i mentioned it).

Quote Originally Posted by catmandu2 View Post
    In the way that TB is organized, it's more like two different "sides," each with subforums, or even two different sites. I've found it easy to mistakenly click links from searches to the side I didn't want. If you find yourself inadvertantly on the unwanted side, which I've done at times, you'll be wasting some time for sure.

Pretty different from the cafe in its navigation design, in this respect (why i mentioned it).
    It definitely took more than one search on TalkBass before I started narrowing my subsequent searches to the appropriate group of sub-forums....
    ----

Love mandola?

mandolin slinger Steve Ostrander's Avatar

There is no forum anywhere, on any topic, as good as this one.
    Living’ in the Mitten

15. The following members say thank you to Steve Ostrander for this post:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Ostrander View Post
    There is no forum anywhere, on any topic, as good as this one.
    There is a lot of truth to that. Lots of wisdom built into the fabric of this place.

Riding on my brothers 35 foot sailboat, which was perfectly negotiating some awfully big rollers. It would fly up the front of the roller, shudder the tiniest bit at the top, like it was saying "look at me", and slide down the other side perfectly, as if it was having fun.

BROTHER: You know what they call that?
    ME: No. What?
    BROTHER: Good Design.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

17. The following members say thank you to JeffD for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Explorer View Post
    It definitely took more than one search on TalkBass before I started narrowing my subsequent searches to the appropriate group of sub-forums....
    At least once I was frustrated - why is this thing not giving me the info I know is on here?! (was on the wrong side)

And if you ARE looking for b. guitar info, you have to negotiate the maelstrom of 15 year-old kids asking, "what's the best bass for punk rock?" (that largely doesn't exist on the DB side). TB is more idiomatic, dual-personality, in this respect than any forum I know..
    Last edited by catmandu2; Mar-12-2018 at 4:12pm.

I have been to the acoustic guitar forum also over the years. It is ok, but I spend my time here and don't visit there much.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

The Unofficial Martin Guitar Forum has a ton of great content and valuable threads, plus an online For Sale site:

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/theu...orum/index.php

Covers a lot more than just Martins, but is obviously a great resource on that topic when it comes to vintage Martins, new models, comparisons between Martin and other builders, etc.

A bit far afield, but I find the Steel Guitar Forum to be a good read. They even have a room dedicated to "Jokes and games for all ages."
    "The paths of experimentation twist and turn through mountains of miscalculations, and often lose themselves in error and darkness!"
    --Leslie Daniel, "The Brain That Wouldn't Die."

Some tunes: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCa1...SV2qtug/videos

That animal is extinct. There was the Acoustic Player Magazine site that was phenomenal ... gone. The Celtic guitar site that APM spawned ... gone. And the Woodshed over at Stefan Grossman's site ... gone. What's the difference? With the Cafe it's the owner and the moderators. At the Woodshed egos an as****les ran rampant and weren't controlled. At APM and the Celtic site it seemed to be fatigue ... both the expense and the man hours needed. Scott and his posse are to be thanked and commended at every opportunity. I don't know how they do do the voodoo that they do so well. But it is much appreciated by this member ... and many others.
    Thank you Gentlemen,
    Ryk

Talk Bass is a good forum for that limited area.
    mandolin ~ guitar ~ banjo

"I'm convinced that playing well is not so much a technique as it is a decision. It's a commitment to do the work, strive for concentration, get strategic about advancing by steps, and push patiently forward toward the goal." Dan Crary

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ryk Loske For This Useful Post:

I agree there are none I enjoy as much as the Café. I do like Fretboard Journal, which is not just for guitars. There are many sites dedicated to brand or type of guitar, such as Univox, Martin, Les Paul, Telecaster, Hagstrom, Electra, etc. Many of those have very minute and specific info of concern to those instruments, which can be helpful for research, repair, or even playing technique. I don't know specifically for bass, though.

Thanks for all the info and comments. I'll relay this to my aspiring bass player.

--mandojoe

The gear page is probably one of the biggest. Some great people on there as well as some not so great but easy enough to avoid.

TalkBass is good, once you get the layout down, and I also spend time at the Telecaster Forum site TDPRI.com, which is obviously aimed at Tele owners, but there's a lot of good peripheral discussions there.

Agree that none are nearly as good this one.

Registered User Charlie Bernstein's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mandogio View Post
    I play mando and have haunted MandolinCafe for some years now. A friend has taken up bass guitar and I'd like to point him to a site that offers the same friendly types of forums, news, and classifieds as MandolinCafe. Any suggestions? Thanks for your help.

-- mandogio
    Yes, as mentioned above, the bass forum at www.TDPRI.com is real good: The BASS place

Never hurts to hang out at more than one forum!