Thread: NMD: Crafter M85E

Quietly Making Noise Dave Greenspoon's Avatar

Default NMD: Crafter M85E

I picked up a 2011 Crafter M85E via Reverb this past week. I know that they enjoy a mixed reputation, but for less cash than a bigger Boss pedal, I was willing to take the chance for a durable travel axe. Here's what I have experienced so far:

The Good

1. Fit and finish on the neck and frets is good as any mandolin under 5K that I have seen. Clean, smooth, and comfortable.

2. SMART engineering; the 9v battery compartment is next to the end-pin; easy in/out. No need to pull the preamp/tuner out to change the battery.

3. The tuner seems accurate when checked simultaneously against my red Snark.

4. The preamp works really well, and it rocks thru my Fishman Loudbox.

The "Different"

1. The shaped back takes some getting used to.

2. Trying to figure out if/where to add a strap button in interesting. The strap is secured on the headstock, and the position/ergonomics are not what I normally encounter. I am still in discernment if a button on the heel is possible, and what difference it might make.

The "Unknown"

1. The strings seem a bit worn; until I change them I cannot really address the tuners. From what I can tell, they work, but are candidates for some replacements if I keep this one long term.

The Surprise

1. The SOUND!! I bought this for use on gigs with rock and folk-rock sets where I want an acoustic sound vs. my solid bodies. Even with marginal strings, this sounds surprisingly GOOD to my ears in those genres.

2. Amps matter. This is designed to give an acoustic sound, and it shines thru an acoustic amp vs. my Laney Cub 10 or Peavey Classic 30. It's not bad thru those amps, but nowhere near the sound thru the Fishman.

All in all, I'm pleasantly surprised. I wished the seller had been a little more forthcoming on a couple of smaller issues (missing zipper pull on the Crafter gig bag, some funky sweet-candy odor that thankfully disappeared) but not critical stuff. I am really looking forward to getting a new set of strings on it to hear the difference that makes. Otherwise, it seems to fit the bill for a cheap, durable, quiet travel axe that will get loud and sound if I need to plug it in.
    Axes: Eastman MD-515 & El Rey; Eastwood S Mandola
    Amps: Fishman Loudbox 100; Rivera Clubster Royale Recording Head & R212 cab; Laney Cub 10

2. The following members say thank you to Dave Greenspoon for this post:

Blog Entries

Default Re: NMD: Crafter M85E

I am jealous of the choices guitar players enjoy for affordable flattops with good built-in pickups, and of course all the pro-level with good electronics. Crafter is the only equivalent along with Ovation, for mandolins. If either had offered a 10-string I would have jumped on it.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	crafter-mandolin-hobos-vintage1.jpg 
Views:	162 
Size:	216.1 KB 
ID:	165814
    Bandcamp -- https://tomwright1.bandcamp.com/
    Videos--YouTube
    Sound Clips--SoundCloud
    The viola is proof that man is not rational

I cannot reorient the photo, but here it is. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180311_220057.jpg 
Views:	181 
Size:	2.10 MB 
ID:	165826
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180311_213315.jpg 
Views:	109 
Size:	1.53 MB 
ID:	165825  
    Amps: Fishman Loudbox 100; Rivera Clubster Royale Recording Head & R212 cab; Laney Cub 10

6. The following members say thank you to Dave Greenspoon for this post:

And the Godin, Tom.

Worlds ok-ist mando playr Zach Wilson's Avatar

Congratulations and happy pickin to you 😀

9. The following members say thank you to Zach Wilson for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Zach Wilson View Post
    Congratulations and happy pickin to you ��
    Thanks, Zach!

Worlds ok-ist mando playr Zach Wilson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Greenspoon View Post
    Thanks, Zach!
    Mazal Tov!

12. The following members say thank you to Zach Wilson for this post:

Nice!
    VerneAndru.com | oKee.ComX

- ---==< V >==--- -

14. The following members say thank you to Verne Andru for this post:

Just Strings order made on Monday; new strings settling in as of this afternoon. Went with EJ 70s and already a huge difference. After the weekend I should have a much better sense of the instrument.

Still not sure if I will keep these tuners, but the mando itself is a winner. Celtic/session buddy of mine (former retailer) was having all sorts of fun with it today when I passed it over to him. Not everyone's cup of tea to be sure, but it really fits a wide range of styles for amplified acoustic mandolin. Lots of fun, sounds great, and pretty low cost. FWIW, sure, the Venue DI does its magic on this amp before going into the Fishman Loudbox 100. That said, it is an easy plug'n'play solution straight into the amp/pa, with no fuss and no muss. I'll certainly keep The Loar around for a bit and for when the bluegrass police are on the prowl, but I think the Crafter is now my travel axe as well as a stage axe for easily amplified a/e sound.