Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: In The Family Genes?

Default Re: In The Family Genes?

Glad that's cleared up. We go through this every time (about annually?) this topic comes out.

I find my own circumstances somewhat ironic: grew up in the great lakes avoiding anything Lawrence Welk-ian like plague. Now, here I am playing polkas, dutch hop, all kinds of stuff I presumed to hate growing up

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to catmandu2 For This Useful Post:

Gummy Bears and Scotch BrianWilliam's Avatar

Muggsy Bogues was 5'3". He practiced a lot.

Gummy Bears and Scotch BrianWilliam's Avatar

I've used "inherited" in more than one way. And yes, eye color is determined by your genes.

My grandmother played piano, my mom played piano and organ (and took up ukulele later on,) my uncle played upright bass in a band, my grandfather played trombone, my brother played trombone and guitar, my sister played ukulele, I play piano, organ, harpsichord, guitar, mandolin, recorder, and am teaching myself oboe and violin.
    My son loves music in a different direction, he wanted to work in radio ever since I can remember. He now manages and part-time DJs 3 radio stations in Fort Wayne, Indiana. They are adult contemporary, soft rock, and I forget what the 3rd one plays (but don't tell him I don't remember!)

6. The following members say thank you to LadysSolo for this post:

My mother was a performance piano major in college. Very skilled but can't play much without dots. Also played violin as a secondary and...oboe too I think? Not sure where she got it as she didn't know her birth parents well. She may have been forced into piano more or less. She switched directions late in school and ended up as a psych major and therapist, so now she likes alot of really bad adult contemporary stuff. Don't get me wrong I like alot of really bad music, but I have my limits to what I can tolerate.

Dad was a history teacher, never played an instrument to my knowledge but grew up in some sort of southern baptisty or methodisty or something kind of household with alot of brothers and sisters singing in church. As an adult he let the oldies radio station do all his singing for him.

Don't know of much other musical tradition in my family. I grew up with a strange relationship with music - a deep love and respect and token encouragement for it, paired with strong cautionary advice and pressure not to take it seriously.

It makes some sense then that while music is one of my primary driving forces personally, it often gets forced into the background of actual day to day life. Very frustrating at times but still thankful for what I've been given musically and generally speaking, which big picture is more than many, even if much less than many others.

There was never any live music or anything in our house as I was growing up and I was relatively old before getting into music and recognizing my love for playing and creating it. But my mother has a nice voice and apparently she sang to me a lot as a child. I've read somewhere that being exposed to a parents singing (in tune I suppose) early on, is enough for one to develop a good ear.

there has been a good deal of research that brains re-wire themselves, creating new connections based on their experiences, interests, and training. If that is accurate, it is beneficial to be in a musical family but not required and there are plenty of examples of people from music families demonstrating no aptitude and vice versa

Nobody in my entire family, including aunts, uncles an cousins played any kind of musical instrument. That is why I am a not a great player, but I keep on trying.

My parents were both fine musicians, though my father played much less than my mother who played a large repertoire of fiddle tunes, folk songs, show tunes, and highbrow music, on piano. As a child, I often fell asleep at night, listening to music. One of my brothers has been a professional musician all his life, and the other two both spent periods as professionals, one still teaching music and performing on a semi-professional basis. Many of our children are musicians. Still, I struggle with music.
    I've certainly seen evidence of music running in families. Ashley MacIsaac is an outstanding Cape Breton fiddler (though I can do without the punk stuff). Not only are many of his close relatives musicians of note, but an excellent Ottawa area fiddler, Alexis MacIsaac, told me she was his distant cousin. I recently heard that Ashley and Jack Black of the "White Stripes" are distant cousins. My mother feels that you could be a genius in music, art, mechanics, or whatever, but if your family and school system weren't inclined this way you might never know. Many people discover new talents when taking up hobbies in their old age. Still, for what my opinion's worth -- I'm no scientist -- I suspect there's a genetic component as well as a cultural one.
    Robert Johnson's mother, describing blues musicians:
    "I never did have no trouble with him until he got big enough to be round with bigger boys and off from home. Then he used to follow all these harp blowers, mandoleen (sic) and guitar players."
    Lomax, Alan, The Land where The Blues Began, NY: Pantheon, 1993, p.14.

Quote Originally Posted by Ranald View Post
    ...Jack Black of the "White Stripes"...
    You've got your cousins, jacks, or stripes mixed up.

My anecdote: no one in my immediate family played music. I made up for it by being completely overboard with it.

13. The following members say thank you to catmandu2 for this post:

Ranald 

[QUOTE=catmandu2;1641453]You've got your cousins, jacks, or stripes mixed up.

Oops, you're right, I mean Jack White. I'd better make an appointment with the eye doctor.
    Robert Johnson's mother, describing blues musicians:
    "I never did have no trouble with him until he got big enough to be round with bigger boys and off from home. Then he used to follow all these harp blowers, mandoleen (sic) and guitar players."
    Lomax, Alan, The Land where The Blues Began, NY: Pantheon, 1993, p.14.

... My mother feels that you could be a genius in music, art, mechanics, or whatever, but if your family and school system weren't inclined this way you might never know. Many people discover new talents when taking up hobbies in their old age. ...
    Good points.

... My mother feels that you could be a genius in music, art, mechanics, or whatever, but if your family and school system weren't inclined this way you might never know. Many people discover new talents when taking up hobbies in their old age. ... I didn't take up any musical instrument such as my mandolin until I was sixty three and a half ! Seventy one now and still practicing every day !

17. The following members say thank you to yankees1 for this post: