Thread: Rogue and gsharp

Default Rogue and gsharp

I wasn't sure where to ask this so i'll try here, I did a search and couldn't find this exact problem. I got one of those Cheap, Rogue mandolins to "play around with" and when i fret the e string, on the 3rd fret, i get a very nasty sounding note that my tuner says is G#. From what i can find online, that note is supposed to be G without the #. what can i do to fix this?

Default Re: Rogue and gsharp

Get it properly set up.
    Tom

"Feel the wood."
    Luthier Page: Facebook

3. The following members say thank you to Tom Haywood for this post:

I've had three Rogues over the years and once properly set up they will intonate correctly. Many times with a new Rogue mandolin the nut slots are too high and when you fret a string you also stretch that string causing it to play sharp. Next comes the bridge, it must be correctly positioned to get the intonation correct up and down the fret board. you can use your electronic tuner to assist you in properly locating the bridge but you need to take some tension off the strings before you move the bridge a little, then tune it up again. If you're not inclined to file the nut slots yourself take it to a good technician for this adjustment. The job requires specific files for each pair of string slots. Good luck with getting it right.

I forgot to mention that the Rogue mandolin comes with awful, el cheapo strings. Replace these with a nice set of quality mandolin strings.

Sounds like your 4th fret is high on that string. But then others may be also. As mentioned above, go get it set up or you can download Rob Meldrum's ebook via this site.

THANKS EVERYONE for your help and suggestions. I figured it out (I think). when i had gotten the mandolin, the action at the nut was great. could barely slip a thick piece of paper between the frets and the strings but was high at the bridge so i had lowered the bridge as low as it would go. apparently this threw off the fretting. I raised the bridge back up and BOOM, it seems to be hitting perfectly on the "G" note now and no longer "G#". I will update this in a few days just to verify it is working correctly. OH and just to add, the intonation was already pretty good when i got it so i didn't really have to adjust that too much.

My old instrument-shop boss used to have a sign: "All customers who want their action adjusted as low as possible without buzzing, will immediately leave the premises"

I think this is what he meant. Your ultra-low action meant the first string hit the fourth fret (not cleanly, hence the "nasty sounding" note) when you fretted at the third fret.

A pro set-up, by a shop or by yourself, never hurts, even on a Rogue.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM