Thread: Gibson F2 Specs

Default Gibson F2 Specs

I have been looking at the 1920’s Gibson F2 mandolins. I don’t know what it is about those old Gibson F2s but I really like the looks of the Oval hole and sound. Does anyone happen to have a copy or know the Spec of a Gibson F2 back in the 20’s? I was wondering what wood did Gibson used in making them and the nut width. Also, what would be a good price for a 1920's Gibson F2 in good condition?
    2023 A. Lawrence Smart A5
    2022 Girouard Griffith Tribute A5
    2021 Ellis F5 Special
    2021 Girouard Concert Master F Oval-hole
    2020 Heiden Artist Plus A5
    1992 Givens A6
    1919 Martin Style C

Teacher, repair person

Default Re: Gibson F2 Specs

The back and sides of most F-2's are birch. Starting in the late '20's, they are maple.

'Teens F models are 1 3/16" at the nut, more or less. Starting in the early '20's they are usually narrower, some as narrow as 1 3/32". Exact dimensions vary slightly because the necks are hand carved.

Prices for F-2's in reasonably good shape vary between $2500 to over $4500 depending on year, condition, and who is selling them.

Don't rule out the 'teens models. They can be as good or better than a '20's model. The biggest reason many people want the '20's models is for the truss rod [which you really don't need if the neck is in good shape], the narrower necks, factory original adjustable bridges, and that "Loar period" mystique.

Bear in mind that these days, you can find a nice 'teens F-4 for only a few hundred more than the cost of a lot of Loar period F-2's.
    Last edited by rcc56; Mar-09-2018 at 11:47pm.

There is a lot of variables, my '22 has a nut width of 1 1/4" with a truss rod. Had an '18 with a nut width of 1 1/8", of course no truss rod.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

Teacher, repair person

That's unusually narrow for an '18! Perhaps I should have said that they can vary considerably!

Has anybody else noticed that while F-4's have come down in price over the last few years, F-2's are going up? Strange . . .

Thanks rcc56 and pops1 for the information on the Gibson F2. Here are some photos of the 1924 Gibson that I have been looking at getting. Does everything look all original to you guys on this 1924 Gibson F2?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3122.JPG 
Views:	178 
Size:	1.09 MB 
ID:	165802Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3125.JPG 
Views:	142 
Size:	976.3 KB 
ID:	165803Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3124.JPG 
Views:	148 
Size:	921.5 KB 
ID:	165804
    2021 Ellis F5 Special
    1992 Givens A6
    1919 Martin Style C

===========

I really hate (love) threads like this - I have been lusting for an F-2 or F-4 for a couple of years, and whenever these threads pop up, it starts my MAS all over again. The more pictures, the worse (better).

Damn, my checkbook is going to be in trouble, before too long . . . .

Looks good to me, I am not usually fond of F style mandolins as I am an A person. I repaired an F2 a couple years ago and had a hard time calling the customer saying it was done, it was so much fun to play. Now I keep looking at these. Very nice mandolin.

I have always had a very warm spot for F-2’s and F-4’s, they are just so elegant! The difference between them and F-5’s is another reason, they are just one more wonderful little thing to have in the arsenal. No, I don’t NEED it but, one day I will have one. If I live long enough.
    Timothy F. Lewis
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease a very big skillet" J.D. Clampett

Teacher, repair person

Sure looks original to me, as far as I can tell without having the mandolin in hand. Bridge, tailpiece, pickguard and clamp, and tuners all look right. The finish looks very nice.

Make sure the intonation is good before you pull the trigger. '20's Gibsons sometimes have problems-- usually due to less than desirable fret placement.

My '22 had intonation problems, turned out to be the nut was too close to the first fret. I have seen this on several '22's. A 1mm shim between the nut and fingerboard made it play very nicely in tune. Drove me nuts for a while, who would have thought after 60 years no one would have figured it out. Some one played this for 60 years before I got it and it never played in tune. Sure sounds good now.

Teacher, repair person

Quote Originally Posted by pops1 View Post
    My '22 had intonation problems, turned out to be the nut was too close to the first fret. I have seen this on several '22's. A 1mm shim between the nut and fingerboard made it play very nicely in tune. Drove me nuts for a while, who would have thought after 60 years no one would have figured it out. Some one played this for 60 years before I got it and it never played in tune. Sure sounds good now.
    The shim will fix the majority of them. Some have more serious problems and need a fret or two moved, and a few will need a new fingerboard.

I've measured quite a few of these mandolins, and Gibson's fret placement is pretty consistent through the late 'teens. A few of them will benefit from the shim. I have seen a few problems start to appear by the early '20's. The worst I ever saw was an early '30's A-4. I had to replace the fingerboard on that one.

For those of us who work on these instruments, I recommend measuring the fret placement on any instrument that comes in for a refret.

Hopefully, the mando that the OP has in mind will be fine or just need the shim. That's an awfully nice looking F-2. I hope it sounds as good as it looks.
    Last edited by rcc56; Mar-11-2018 at 12:12pm.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeZito View Post
    I really hate (love) threads like this - I have been lusting for an F-2 or F-4 for a couple of years, and whenever these threads pop up, it starts my MAS all over again. The more pictures, the worse (better).

Damn, my checkbook is going to be in trouble, before too long . . . .
    Mike if you like to look at pictures here is one more of the front view of the Gibson F2 to check out. After going over the F2 mandolin completely there were no cracks in the body to be found which makes me very happy and the mandolin seems to be well taken care of for being 94 years old. I can only hope that I look that good at 94!!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3126.JPG 
Views:	229 
Size:	984.2 KB 
ID:	165813
    2021 Ellis F5 Special
    1992 Givens A6
    1919 Martin Style C

The finish looks good on this old Gibson F2 front and back. However, if you look real close at the last picture that I posted you can see the bridge had not been sitting in the right place over the years and when corrected it did leave a little mark from not being place properly on the mandolin. You would think someone would have taken notice that the bridge was not sitting at the right place. If I knew what I could use on the finish and could rub it a little would probably help take out some of the mark but I don't want to end up screwing up the finish on the mandolin by using something that would damage it.
    2021 Ellis F5 Special
    1992 Givens A6
    1919 Martin Style C

Teacher, repair person

An expert at French polishing could fix that spot, but a "do-it-yourselfer" would most likely really screw it up and it would look much worse. About the most you could try is a drop of high grade violin polish, which would mask it rather than fix it, but won't disrupt the old finish.

An awful lot of old Gibsons have that mark. If you like the mando, I wouldn't let it deter you from making the purchase. I also wouldn't recommend your messing with that spot.

To correctly repair it would mean that it would have to cure for several weeks before it could be strung up, since the bridge will be sitting over new shellac.

Quote Originally Posted by rcc56 View Post
    An expert at French polishing could fix that spot, but a "do-it-yourselfer" would most likely really screw it up and it would look much worse. About the most you could try is a drop of high grade violin polish, which would mask it rather than fix it, but won't disrupt the old finish.

An awful lot of old Gibsons have that mark. If you like the mando, I wouldn't let it deter you from making the purchase. I also wouldn't recommend your messing with that spot.

To correctly repair it would mean that it would have to cure for several weeks before it could be strung up, since the bridge will be sitting over new shellac.
    I want to say thanks for the good advice about leaving the spot alone!
    2021 Ellis F5 Special
    1992 Givens A6
    1919 Martin Style C

I find different gauges of strings and different string height makes quite a difference where the bridge has to be. I agree with rcc56 about leaving it alone. Who knows you may at some point be where the original owner had the action and string gauge and have to move it back. I just made a new saddle for mine because I went to a different gauge of strings and wanted the foot to not be angled to intonate. You also may be able to have a new saddle made to put the foot back for the gauge of strings that are now on the mandolin.