Thread: Roosebeck balalaika opinions?

Default Roosebeck balalaika opinions?

There seem to be quite a few of these available in the US, priced anywhere from $280 to $350 (prima, new). Are they any good?

Thoughts on other brands are of course welcome. I'm looking for a new instrument with hopefully no issues.

2. The following members say thank you to jesserules for this post:

Default Re: Roosebeck balalaika opinions?

I used to work at a company that dealt some with the Pakistani-made instruments like that.

Unless they have drastically upgraded the quality of manufacture, you will get a "BSO".

A balalaika-shaped-object.

I would buy a cheap Russian factory instrument before I'd get one of the Pakistani-made ones.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DavidKOS For This Useful Post:

I've played a Roosebeck lute and two of their baroquleles. One of the baroquleles played fine, and its owner uses it and gigs with it a lot. The other one had very high action and a nut sharp enough to be painful on my hand. The lute was the first and only lute I've ever held... it was very light, pretty, and sounded nice to me but I've nothing for comparison.
    Basically, if possible, I would play any Roosebeck instrument before buying. The quality seems to range from terrible to okay.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mrmando2015 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by mrmando2015 View Post
    I've played a Roosebeck lute and two of their baroquleles. One of the baroquleles played fine, and its owner uses it and gigs with it a lot. The other one had very high action and a nut sharp enough to be painful on my hand. The lute was the first and only lute I've ever held... it was very light, pretty, and sounded nice to me but I've nothing for comparison.
    Basically, if possible, I would play any Roosebeck instrument before buying. The quality seems to range from terrible to okay.
    I've seen some of their Renaissance lutes that were OK-ish for the price, they put a lot of effort with Mid East Mfg. to get those to be better.

Like I said, unless they upgraded the balalaikas, stay away.

I also say this as a balalaika player.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DavidKOS For This Useful Post: