Thread: String popping out of bridge?? Help!

Exclamation String popping out of bridge?? Help!

Hello all. I just bought a new Trinity College mandolin (my first mandolin) and I'm having an issue.

My G string (the one closest to the ceiling) keeps popping out of the place where it is supposed to lay across the bridge.

Does anyone have advice on a fix? Can I simply use a needle file to make the groove on the bridge a tiny bit deeper?

Thanks so much for any ideas!

Default Re: String popping out of bridge?? Help!

I used to have that problem on my violin, and I don't know if it's the same on mandolin, but I took some sand paper and made the groove a little bit deeper, so I assume it would work the same for mandolin.

I may be old but I'm ugly billhay4's Avatar

You could do that but then it would be lower than the adjacent G string, wouldn't it? I also wouldn't want to widen that slot. But if you have a file that will work, I'd deepen both G string slots a bit. You'll then probably have to raise the bridge on that side a little (IF you are getting some buzzing). See Rob Meldrum's set up ebook. for help on this and all setup issues.
    Bill
    IM(NS)HO

This is a new instrument? Did you buy it locally? If not, I would follow billhay4's advice but make the slot very slightly deeper and see what the ebook says in terms of the angle of the cut.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Yes it's a brand new instrument and I don't really see any defined grooves in the bridge.

Teacher, repair person

Quote Originally Posted by demko9 View Post
    My G string (the one closest to the ceiling) keeps popping out of the place where it is supposed to lay across the bridge.

Does anyone have advice on a fix? Can I simply use a needle file to make the groove on the bridge a tiny bit deeper?

Thanks so much for any ideas!
    Yes. The groove should be deep enough to hold at least half of the string's diameter. You should file at a slight downward angle so the slot is a little bit deeper on the tailpiece side of the bridge than it is on the fingerboard side. And yes, you will want to deepen the other G string so that they are at the same height where they meet the bridge.

I'm not trying to make fun of the OP, it got his point across, made plain which string he was talking about but I got a big laugh from " the one closest to the ceiling" never heard strings identified like that.

While you can file it yourself, if you lower the G strings and raise the bridge then your D strings may be higher than you want. A V shaped file may due it, but a rounded bottom file would be best and as long as you may be filing more than just the G strings maybe where you bought it would do it for you, I would think for free. If not someone with the correct tool would not charge much at all to seat the strings in the bridge.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

Remember that the ideal slot depth is about half of the string diameter (i.e., the string radius), and this holds for all 8 strings. You should take this opportunity to make sure that your bridge slots are cut to the correct depth for all strings, not just the low G strings. This SHOULD have been done by whomever sold you the mandolin and set it up, however. If your mandolin is brand new, I would seriously consider taking it back to the shop where you bought it (assuming you bought it from a shop, and not online) and asking them to set it up properly. Of course, you can learn to do this maintenance yourself, too, with the appropriate tools.

Thank you all for your advice! I'll give it a shot!

Perhaps the bridge saddle is on backwards, the E string slots now being where the G strings usually are...If the OP is near me I could check it for him but like most posters they don`t tell where they are located...Maybe there is a luthier near him that could look at it...

Willie

Jim1Hays

I would return it and expect them to either replace it whole or replace the bridge. If you start messing with cutting out the slot in the bridge, you could end up replacing the bridge and voiding the warranty. Just my opinion!

It sounds like the slot isn't deep enough,so use a knife edged file to make it a tiny bit deeper - bit by bit - until it stays put. It won't take much doing,so take it slowly.

I had to completely re-slot a Cumberland Acoustic bridge that i bought. My mandolin had a radiussed fingerboard,& the only CA bridge in the store was 'flat'. I radiussed the saddle & used a knife edged file to cut all the slots & it was fine,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

Before doing any filing or adjusting, make sure that the bridge is centred on the line of the neck. If it's "too close to the ceiling" it could be exerting too much sideways force on the topmost G string. Simply check that the outer strings are parallel to and approximately the same distances from the edges of the fretboard.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim1hays View Post
    I would return it and expect them to either replace it whole or replace the bridge. If you start messing with cutting out the slot in the bridge, you could end up replacing the bridge and voiding the warranty. Just my opinion!
    I agree with returning, if you mess with it you probably void the warranty.

The tension on a flat top mandolin's bridge is probably a little more prone to this should the slot not be deep enough.
    Old Hometown, Cabin Fever String Band

If it has a fixed bridge/saddle, ignore my advice.