Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Considering a Blue Chip Pick?

two t's and one hyphen fatt-dad's Avatar

Default Re: Considering a Blue Chip Pick?

well, you did it! I was to chime in on the CT55 as well. I got one with the rounded corner, just to give me another option. Never use the rounded corner.

I also (really) like the Wegan TF140 - got those in white and black!

Played for a long spell with the Blue Chip Jazz Heavy too. They are nice for precision and I usually use it for playing classical stuff (i.e., working on the Bach two-part inventions with a guitar buddy).

Have fun!

f-d
    ¡papá gordo ain’t no madre flaca!

'20 A3, '30 L-1, '97 914, 2012 Cohen A5, 2012 Muth A5, '14 OM28A

2. The following members say thank you to fatt-dad for this post:

Peace. Love. Mandolin. Gelsenbury's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Wilson View Post
    If you just want to rant (and I enjoy a good rant) at least read the OP first. Otherwise it seems like you might just have a Chip on your shoulder
    Believe it or not, I did read the OP before replying in post #11. Admittedly, I don't take expressions like "every imaginable pick" literally. Hence the suggestion of the Gravity Gold Series.

My second post was in response to a reply to my post and much more general. I mean "you" as in "one" here - or, indeed, "any player" as in the quote.

Nevertheless, I apologise for the digression.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gelsenbury For This Useful Post:

Having used a lot of different picks over the years, have found that in the right circumstances, the Blue Chip are a good choice. In general, I like them more for guitar than mandolin. They do seem to produce more pick noise on my mandolins. In fact, one guitar player I know hates it when I use them (or my Manouche picks) as the noise is too distracting for him in a large jam session. (The only picks he likes are Dunlop Tortex).

Then again, my mentor uses Dunlop nylon (medium or heavy).

Have been recently switching between BC, Wegen Bluegrass 1.0, Primetone 1.0 and Pickboy Metacarbonate. Depending on mood and how I want a tune to sound.

Am definitely not pro or anti-Blue Chip. They are just another option. They don't work for everyone. The player is still more important than the pick.
    Brentrup Model 23, Boeh A5 #37, Gibson A Jr., Big Muddy M-11, Coombe Classical flattop, Strad-O-Lin
    https://www.facebook.com/LauluAika/
    https://www.lauluaika.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/Longtine-Am...14404553312723

Worlds ok-ist mando playr Zach Wilson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Platt View Post
    The player is still more important than the pick.
    That's a good point.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by fatt-dad View Post
    well, you did it! I was to chime in on the CT55 as well. I got one with the rounded corner, just to give me another option. Never use the rounded corner.

I also (really) like the Wegan TF140 - got those in white and black!

Played for a long spell with the Blue Chip Jazz Heavy too. They are nice for precision and I usually use it for playing classical stuff (i.e., working on the Bach two-part inventions with a guitar buddy).

Have fun!

f-d
    Hey F-D! Thanks for the response. Good to talk to ya!
    2014 BRW F5 #114
    2022 Kentucky KM 950 Master Model

YouTube Original Recording of My composition "Closer Walk"

8. The following members say thank you to lflngpicker for this post:

I personally cannot say enough about the BC's. I have the TAD50's and CT55's (lean more toward the CT's). Also have quite a few of the Primetones and Dunlop Ultex's, of which the sound and glide for me is not nearly as good as the BC's and I find that they wear quite rapidly. I've used one of the BC's (a CT55) at minimum 5 days/nights per week for about 2 years now played very hard (on both guitar and mandolin) and other than a few surface scratches, it doesn't show any signs of wear. If they start to slip in my fingers, I simply wash with mild soap and water ... no more slippage. IMHO the BC's are a quality made pick and well worth the purchase. It's kind of strange (and I was guilty of it ), and it puzzles me that people will spend $3000-$8000 (or more) on a quality mandolin, but have an issue spending $35 bucks for a quality pick.

JMTCW
    2014 Gibson 'Harvey' F5G
    1917 Gibson F2
    2013 'The' Loar LM600VS
    2013 Morgan Monroe 4FJ
    Blue Chip Picks
    The Scallywag Social Club

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KGreene For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by KGreene View Post
    ..., but have an issue spending $35 bucks for a quality pick.

JMTCW
    Yeah, I thought the price was ridiculous when I bought my first BC pick. Felt the same way when I bought my second. Even made me kind of mad to pay that again when I bought my third. I'm probably going to be really peeved soon when I have to buy my fourth.

...I think the price is ridiculous and I am going to keep buying them--Thats got to say something. Still I keep hoping if I can get a little better, maybe I can go back to the wegen tf140 like Chris Thile did. I still do go back and try the Wegen from time to time but I'm just not there yet. I drag and stumble. I need the CT55 to play my best.

I think the better you are, the less the pick matters. I need all the help I can get.
    No matter where I go, there I am...Unless I'm running a little late.

12. The following members say thank you to Astro for this post:

I personally cannot say enough about the BC's. I have the TAD50's and CT55's (lean more toward the CT's). Also have quite a few of the Primetones and Dunlop Ultex's, of which the sound and glide for me is not nearly as good as the BC's and I find that they wear quite rapidly. I've used one of the BC's (a CT55) at minimum 5 days/nights per week for about 2 years now played very hard (on both guitar and mandolin) and other than a few surface scratches, it doesn't show any signs of wear. If they start to slip in my fingers, I simply wash with mild soap and water ... no more slippage. IMHO the BC's are a quality made pick and well worth the purchase. It's kind of strange (and I was guilty of it ), and it puzzles me that people will spend $3000-$8000 (or more) on a quality mandolin, but have an issue spending $35 bucks for a quality pick.

JMTCW
    Everything KGreene says is true, I used one for years. If your mandolin is bright in the G string you most likely will love it. My mandolin has more depth in the G string and for me the Wegen is better. It still glides, but doesn't have the polished surface of the BC that is so tactile and not slippery.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

14. The following members say thank you to pops1 for this post:

I play the big triangle BCs in 80 and 100. Also have a CT55 that’s a little too thin and a 40 that just doesn’t beat the Wegen 140 on the tenor banjo. You thin pick guys have it good. You can’t get the 80s and 100s for $35.
    Mike Snyder

16. The following members say thank you to Mike Snyder for this post:

Worlds ok-ist mando playr Zach Wilson's Avatar

I too am a BC fan... but not for every mandolin/string/music style combo.

I like the CT55 on my Weber for most music... especially bluegrass. And it sounds best with GHS A270 strings. This is my best combination.

I don't like my BC on my Flat top... playing Old Time or hymns. Here I think the Wegen TF120 is best.

Picks are fun! Have fun with your BC! Try many combinations too

18. The following members say thank you to Zach Wilson for this post:

Blog Entries

I love the material but haven't found the shape that works for me off the peg yet.
    They're very slappy even the long jazz ones. Too much clicking, not a problem when bashing away, but anything with a piano dynamic it just gets annoying.

As I’m adapting them anyway I baulk at hacking an expensive one like a BC so stick to hacking the Primetones or using buffalo horn.
    I thought I had access to some of the material via a friend last year, but they only get very small slivers as off-cuts so that was no good. Still sniffing about for an accessible source that doesn't need to be bought in multiple sheets.

Definitely fun but trying multiple shapes of expensive ones isn’t really practical from outside the US.
    That $35 translates to an equivalent of approx $48 by the time we get hold of one, so that changes the perspective a bit.
    Eoin

"Forget that anyone is listening to you and always listen to yourself" - Fryderyk Chopin

20. The following members say thank you to Beanzy for this post:

Blog Entries

Thumbs up Re: Considering a Blue Chip Pick?

JMTCW
    Well said, KGreene. I appreciate the points you have made. Also, the procedure for cleaning the pick when it begins to slip from one's hand is very helpful info. Thanks for spelling that out for us! Dan
    2014 BRW F5 #114

Blog Entries

The BC is another tool in the arsenal. It gets pulled out when conditions (venue, setting, tune etc.) dictate it is the best choice. Other times it waits while something else gets used.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

23. The following members say thank you to JeffD for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by JeffD View Post
    The BC is another tool in the arsenal. It gets pulled out when conditions (venue, setting, tune etc.) dictate it is the best choice. Other times it waits while something else gets used.
    Yes, Jeff! You know, in all the Blue Chip threads I have read no one ever commented on the moral decency of the BC picks as well as their patience. I have never heard any of my Blue Chip picks complain when I play with another pick. Yet another reason to buy one.
    Last edited by Jim Garber; Mar-09-2018 at 8:55pm.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jim Garber For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

My new CT55 pick arrived quickly and I got busy playing with it. The tone it produces is as advertised-- excellent. The volume is not as loud as the V Pick Saga, but it allows for increased volume with a firmer attack. The thing that pleasantly surprised me is that this pick feels great in my hand! It is comfortable and easy to hold, adhering itself more and more as my hour-long practice continued. The V Picks are great for not slipping. This Blue Chip is even more that way-- hard to drop! The speed bevel allows for smooth double picking. The tone is warm with the right amount of brightness. This is a great tool for the player. I am sure that I will utilize it often and will continue to use my Dunlop .88's on guitars and my V Pick Saga's for some mandolin applications.
    2014 BRW F5 #114

27. The following members say thank you to lflngpicker for this post:

Peace. Love. Mandolin. Gelsenbury's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Good! I'm pleased that you're enjoying it.

29. The following members say thank you to Gelsenbury for this post:

I've noticed that I drop $35 picks with considerably less frequency than I did $2 picks....

31. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Pjones3 For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Pjones3 View Post
    I've noticed that I drop $35 picks with considerably less frequency than I did $2 picks....
    Great line! Love it!
    2014 BRW F5 #114

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Pjones3 View Post
    Yes, and lose them entirely even less often.

The entire staff
    funny....

34. The following members say thank you to JeffD for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Thane Glenn View Post
    I think it's well worth investing in at least one Blue Chip to see if you like it. I find they bring out a bit more of the woody tones of the instrument, while also producing bell clarity to the notes, and they play very smoothly, as well. The TAD-1R 60 is my go-to pick. I use the angled corners for more aggressive playing, the rounded corner for a rounder, deeper, mellower sound. For what it's worth, my second choice is the Wegen TF 140, which I use quite a lot.
    Pretty much my thinking, though I almost never use the rounded end of my BC. I use Wegen dippers, 1.4 for guitar, 1.8 for mandolin, too. I like to have a pick for every instrument. My BC stays with the Silverangel, Wegens everywhere else for cost reasons. The Dipper has three different tip profiles.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

36. The following members say thank you to Br1ck for this post:

I bought a Blue ChipTAD 60 and decided to do an experiment to see if the Blue Chip is superior to other mandolin picks. I asked a friend to listen to me playing my Eastman 305 mandolin with each of three picks; the Blue Chip TAD 60, a Golden Gate MP 12 Deluxe tortoise style rounded mandolin pick, and a Dunlop 1.5 mm Maxigrip nylon pick. She couldn't see which I was using and had her eyes closed. On the first go round, where I played a solo from a Stanley Brothers tune, she picked the Golden Gate pick as the most pleasing to her ear. On the second go round, where I played "Oh Susannah", by Stephen Foster, she picked the Blue Chip. We agreed, they all sound great but the Golden Gate, which only costs about $1, sounds most similar to the Blue Chip which costs $35. The Dunlop costs about $.50 per pick and can be bought in a pack of 12. I concluded "beauty is in the eye of the beholder"!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    Yes, Jeff! You know, in all the Blue Chip threads I have read no one ever commented on the moral decency of the BC picks as well as their patience. I have never heard any of my Blue Chip picks complain when I play with another pick. Yet another reason to buy one.
    There is that.

The entire staff
    funny....

Just a word of praise here
    I keep a BC in my pocket in the event of finding an instrument that I desire to play. I was at a client’s home that had an older mandocello. Nice instrument with a rich deep tone. I will need to determine the maker next time I am there.
    I showed the BC to him and had him give it a try on one of his acoustic big body Gibson guitars. HE LOVED IT! Yep. “That really has a nice tone. I usually use the rounded side of a pick to get the tone I want.”
    Gotta love a BlueChip.
    Eric Hanson
    Click #016/ Born on 2/29/08 - Sold to the next Conservator of this great mandolin!
    The search has ceased! (At least for now)
    Collings A-Style
    White #29R : Oh my!! This one is so AWESOME!!

The Wegen "mandolin"-shape picks are great(multiple thicknesses) Have several BC's in 60 and 70 thickness ;wish Blue Chip made a pick shaped like the Wegen(M-series?)
    I reckon the SR Blue Chip is closest to the Wegen M-shape?

formerly Philphool Phil Goodson's Avatar

Perhaps everything has been said, but it got me thinking about how easy it has been through the years to acquire PAS (as opposed to MAS) and how much fun can be had for less money than always buying mandolins. (bite my tongue!)

I've bought, tried, lost, sold, and enjoyed lots of picks, but mostly Blue Chips.

My first 2 were TP 50 & 60 with points and bevels. Switched to TAD 60 & 50 when they became available and of course got the CT55.
    Enjoyed these for years before trying one without a bevel (didn't like) and then just had to try a TAD 80.

Got one pick with a rounded corner, but never used that corner, and eventually decided to get back to my roots with a smaller pick.

Now I'm using mostly TP 50s, although I recently got a 48 to see what Bryan Sutton likes about them.

I've lost 2, gifted 1, and sold many of those picks as I continued the PAS affliction, but I remain happy with my PAS fun. (And I haven't even mentioned casein and other picks.)
    Last edited by Phil Goodson; Jun-30-2018 at 8:42am. Reason: TYPO
    Phil

“Sharps/Flats” “Accidentals”

42. The following members say thank you to Phil Goodson for this post: