Thread: J 75s

Default J 75s

Decided to try these for the first time. I've been using J 74s. On first impression, they seemed harder to play, then realized I was mashing them down. Lightened up and things improved. I'm finding the pick feel quite different and they want an even looser grip.

Can't comment on sound as they haven't settled in, except they are louder.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

Default Re: J 75s

J75s are my current favorite phosphor bronze strings. But currently I am trying D'Addario Monel and they are kind of springy and have a strong fundamental. I just wish they came in the J75s gauges.

Blessings

The 75s will definitely build your calluses. I have them on my Stiver and like them a lot.

I like the slightly heavier gauges, and I find that while they are a tad harder on the left hand, they stay in tune a bit better, can handle more aggressive playing without breaking up, and they don't break much. I use either J75s or EXP75s. I find the coated strings seem to last me much, much longer than the regular uncoated strings. I used to change strings after every few gigs, but the EXPs seem to keep sounding good for weeks.
    Just one guy's opinion
    www.guitarfish.net

I tried J75s (now EJ75s) on my Lebeda mandolin several years back in order to try to get the ''larger than standard'' beast moving. It sort of worked,but i found that the G & D strings lost a lot of clarity & they sounded a tad dull to my ears. I 'discovered' DR strings after Big Joe Vest posted about them on here a few years back. DR MD11's are the same gauges as EJ74's,but they're a far more powerful sounding string,so those are what go on my Lebeda. Coupled with a Primetone pick,i get far more volume & sheer 'punch'.

I did try the heavier DR set,the MD12s once,but again,i found a loss of clarity. Thinking about it - the heavier you go,the less the strings will vibrate unless you pick 'harder'. But if you do as i did,go back down a gauge & pick as hard on those strings,you'll get all the volume you'll ever need + the clarity of tone. Imagine G & D strings twice the gauge of EJ74's - how much tonal clarity would they have ?. You'd possibly just get a dull 'thunk'.

I did read somewhere that Ronnie McCoury uses EJ75s on his Gilchrist,which sounds pretty good to my ears,so the heavier strings must suit 'some' mandolins - so maybe good on some,not so good on others = common sense !!,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

FWIW

I changed from the D'Addario J75's [which I liked] to the Straight Up Strings Mediums after giving them a try. I like how they feel and the tone [my subjective view], and get plenty of volume.

Gages:
    J75's - .0115/.016/.026/.041
    SUS med - .0115/.016/.024/.039

That being said, if I couldn't get the Straight Up Strings I'd go back to the J75's.
    Mike

Those who think they should think, like they think others think they should think, need to think out their thinking, I think.

No envejecemos, maduramos. -Pablo Picasso

Quote Originally Posted by RustyMadd View Post
    I just wish they came in the J75s gauges.

Blessings
    GHS pure nickle comes in 11 16 27 41 which is similar to the J75's
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

Time will tell, I certainly don't need any extra effort on my recently repaire 68 year old hands, but I also need to try things for myself. Still don't know what I'm going to do long term. It is different, and you do have to change how you play. They are sounding good after a few days playing. I hate brand new strings.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan Kelsall View Post
    I did read somewhere that Ronnie McCoury uses EJ75s on his Gilchrist
    You’ve read it on the string packet, Ivan, just as David Grisman picks the J74s.

I’ve currently got a set on one of my Kimbles. I’ve had a couple of sets lying around for several years and thought I may as well use them. They sound “solid” and do take some shifting but I found it difficult to keep the darned things in tune at a session the other week - must re-lube the Waverleys!

Hi Ray - Quite possibly,but it must have been around 9 years ago !. The J75s didn't sound 'bad',but i did miss the overall 'clarity' of the J74's as they were then. DR MD11s are the perfect set for my Lebeda,along with my Primetone pick. EJ74's on my Weber,& GHS A270s on my Ellis, & both used with my PT picks,sound very good to my ears. When i've finished my sets of A270s which i have to buy from Germany,a set of MD11s is going back on my Ellis,& if it sounds as good as i remember,i'll stick with those. It's a 'logistics' decision re. the A270s. The cost of postage & the length of delivery time,is too much. I normally get my DRs / EJ74s the next day or the day after from ''Stringbusters'' UK. The A270s can take almost 2 weeks from Germany,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

Hi Ivan - the J75s (not EJ75s) are at least nine years old! They live alongside my stock of J74s of a similar vintage.

[It’s not that I never change strings, I remember doing a complicated calculation as to the optimum number of strings to buy in order to minimise their cost, shipping, import tax, VAT and post office charges. As a result I’ve ended up with a lifetimes supply. If you’re still alive when I go, you can have what’s left!]

12. The following members say thank you to Ray(T) for this post:

I was able to lower my action further with the J 75s. This enabled a lighter touch. Oddly, a looser pick grip, and a less aggressive attack brings out the best tone, so there is a technique adjustment here. You can hammer on it to get loud though, but I find you loose sweetness. Everything is a trade off.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

I have hand issues and usually use 16-41 because I can get the action lower and like Br1ck enjoy the ease of playing a low action. Lighter strings press easier, but have to be higher as they vibrate more when struck with a pick. I actually keep a gauge in my case that I can check action and adjust whenever it is off. If it is slightly lower it will buzz, slightly higher and it bothers my hands. The strings are GHS pure nickel and I think they play easier than the 16-40 phosphor bronze.

Last night I took my mandolin to an open mic. I was playing a song and looked down and the mic boom had drooped and the mic was a foot lower and pointed to the floor. After I finished, I asked if people could hear the mandolin. Everyone could. My mandolin really did not need to be miced at all. The blead through the vocal mic was plenty. The J75s were loud.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

Quote Originally Posted by pops1 View Post
    I have hand issues and usually use 16-41 because I can get the action lower and like Br1ck enjoy the ease of playing a low action. Lighter strings press easier, but have to be higher as they vibrate more when struck with a pick. I actually keep a gauge in my case that I can check action and adjust whenever it is off. If it is slightly lower it will buzz, slightly higher and it bothers my hands. The strings are GHS pure nickel and I think they play easier than the 16-40 phosphor bronze.
    Should have been 11-41 sorry.

I think I can get a faster, cleaner tremolo with these strings, and they reward precise picking with clarity. Really starting to like them a bunch. My Silverangel was made with these in mind, so it might get them next.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1