Thread: Question about Loar 520

Default Question about Loar 520

So I see a Loar 520 on eBay for a nice price and the only issue is it has checking of the finish on the back of the headstock and a little around the f holes. Does anyone know if this is common or if it could get worse down the line? I'm not sure how old it is as the seller didn't mention it. Thanks for any advice on whether this might be worth picking up.

Default Re: Question about Loar 520

If the price is good, I wouldn't worry about finish checking. It is a used instrument and will get used even more by you. Finishes scuff and scrape, bumps an bruises happen. Sometimes it can flake off. It could be from a defect from the factory, but frankly, new it was $550, so the instrument is not going to be flawless even when new.

Default Re: Question about Loar 520

Quote Originally Posted by colorado_al View Post
    If the price is good, I wouldn't worry about finish checking. It is a used instrument and will get used even more by you. Finishes scuff and scrape, bumps an bruises happen. Sometimes it can flake off. It could be from a defect from the factory, but frankly, new it was $550, so the instrument is not going to be flawless even when new.
    My only concern was if it was known that this model had any kind of issues. I certainly don't mind the checking as long as it it's not gonna be a think where all the finish flakes off the top eventually.