Thread: External mount pickups

Default External mount pickups

I'm looking into externally mounted pickups and wondered what your thoughts are on them? I'm looking for something I can switch between mando/mandocello/guitar. I'd probably be using a mic in addition I imagine but I'm still curious as to whether or not they sound any good. I used oe years ago for classical guitar performances and I recall it working well. I'm also going to be getting a new acoustic amp soon and I'm leaning toward a fender acoustic 100 but i'm not sure yet. I'm pretty clueless with the electric side of things.

Default Re: External mount pickups

You can get pretty good tone from the better stick on pickups. The jack will be a bit of an issue, since there will be no universal way to clamp it on. Assuming you have that figured out, shouldn't be a problem.

I have no experience with the Fender, but see that it isn't bad on the input side of things.
    INSTRUMENT (1/4” 6.35mm): 5MΩ MIC (XLR): 1.8kΩ balanced

That is one of the main things to watch out for on an acoustic amp is the input impedance. Ideal is 10M (megohms), but do your best not to get something that is less than 1MΩ.
    Robert Fear
    http://www.folkmusician.com

"Education is when you read the fine print; experience is what you get when you don't.
    " - Pete Seeger

Check out Acoustic Image amp's. I love mine and it sounds totally Hi-Fi.

Billy
    Billy Packard
    Gilchrist A3, 1993
    Weber Fern, 2007
    Stiver Fern, 1990
    Gibson 1923 A2
    Gibson 1921 H1 Mandola
    Numerous wonderful guitars

Blog Entries

Thumbs up Re: External mount pickups

I have been happy with the natural tone of this one:https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...SABEgL1FPD_BwE
    It goes on easily and is then stored. It is low noise and gives a nice woody, natural acoustic sound through an acoustic amp. No modification to the instrument needed.
    2014 BRW F5 #114
    2022 Kentucky KM 950 Master Model

YouTube Original Recording of My composition "Closer Walk"

Have had a Schertler Dyn M * a stick on pickup, for quite a while.. it offers a good reproduction, and
    being a dynamic contact micfrophone plugs right into any mixer or acoustic amp's mic channel.

signal is hot enough to even use a guitar amp, a impedance matching transformer,
    used to put a Shure 57/58 mic into a guitar amp input works too..

*now there is a passive like mine,(But looks smaller) Dyn Uni, and an active model P48..
    uses/needs phantom power from the amp.

Last edited by mandroid; Mar-07-2018 at 3:43pm.
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

6. The following members say thank you to mandroid for this post: