Thread: How to deal with 'The Beast from the East'

Default How to deal with 'The Beast from the East'

2. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to seankeegan For This Useful Post:

Default Re: How to deal with 'The Beast from the East'

Cool!

The "beast" has closed down much of the UK. We're currently on the coast in the NE of England and have been cut off from the rest of the world since Wednesday. In anticipation of being able to get home at some stage, I've been clearing the snow and its not your usual, common or garden, UK variety; it comes out in blocks - ideal for igloo building.

This was my solution - on the road out of my village

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OneChordTrick For This Useful Post:

Doesn't look like you could go anywhere fast with that gearing but you could do with some oil on that chain!

Don’t do fast but can get up most things . The colour on the chain is anodising not rust!

9. The following members say thank you to OneChordTrick for this post:

I spent the weekend trying to learn double-stops and Off to California in front of a roaring wood fire, next to my eyeless cat, while my wife did her amazing ink drawings. Then we had a curry.

I would like more beasts from the east please!
    Eastman MD305 - set-up by Simon Mayor.

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Seamus B For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by OneChordTrick View Post
    Don’t do fast but can get up most things . The colour on the chain is anodising not rust!
    Well that is the nature of single speeds. But I dig it.
    May those who love us, love us. And those who don't love us, May God turn their hearts;
    And if He doesn't turn their hearts, May He turn their ankles, So we will know them by their limping.

13. The following members say thank you to mgap for this post:

I am a farmer and it meant a bit of extra work for me.

https://www.facebook.com/daggergordo...7212278070827/

I don't mind it though. It wasn't so bad that we couldn't drive about.
    A gig got postponed last night so I did a bit of playing, re-arranged the furniture in the house and listened to some CDs.
    David A. Gordon

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dagger Gordon For This Useful Post:

Technically, I think "anodising" is controlled corrosion; i.e. "Rust". That gearing will be the same as the last tourer I built with a 36 tooth chainring and a 36 low cog on the block.

Intending to try to get home tomorrow although the "cat feeder" reports that we have no water so we appear to be frozen up and I'm not looking forward to it.

Spent the last few days trying to crack alternative jig picking patterns and cross picking in a way that wouldnt dive the family nuts. We’re lucky down here is the very end of cornwall, rain melted most of the snow in the last few days so the roads are ok and i can go to my local session. Still mulling over wether its ok to take my mando out in this or if i should let it warm up a bit more before doing so.
    Folk session would have been very welcome when we were snowed in though.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray(T) View Post
    Technically, I think "anodising" is controlled corrosion; i.e. "Rust". That gearing will be the same as the last tourer I built with a 36 tooth chainring and a 36 low cog on the block.

Intending to try to get home tomorrow although the "cat feeder" reports that we have no water so we appear to be frozen up and I'm not looking forward to it.
    It’s a little higher than that, from memory is 28:20.

Hope that you get home and you’re thawed out!

Love it. Both the video and the bike. I've known friends here in my area to have done igloo jams. Best I've done is playing with an accordion player outside in mid 20's F temperature. As long as we were out of the wind, it was okay.

And, just sold my fat bike this week. Wasn't riding it enough. Decided I'd get by better on my 29er with studded tires instead. Mandolin content - used part of the proceeds to buy an Eastman octave mandolin yesterday.
    Brentrup Model 23, Boeh A5 #37, Gibson A Jr., Big Muddy M-11, Coombe Classical flattop, Strad-O-Lin
    https://www.facebook.com/LauluAika/
    https://www.lauluaika.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/Longtine-Am...14404553312723

Wasn't the best of weeks - an although we had a lot of snow, for here, on Thursday/Friday, it's all gone now. Mrs Jones was home all week, so the mandolin practise had to be managed - though I did spend most of yesterday afternoon watching the rugby whilst practising, with a nice pint to hand too ;-) Please to say I've mastered the first Bach Bourée.
    We didn't take the mountain tandem out in the snow - Mrs Jones is still a bit aprehensive after breaking her collar bone almost a year ago. Did get out on the road tandm this morning though for a nice blast to blow away the cobwebs.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1231.jpg 
Views:	188 
Size:	1.33 MB 
ID:	165588
    No anodising on the chain - it would never last!

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sportsnapper For This Useful Post:

Thanks for the video. Our friend from Quinn, County Clare returned home after time here in Vermont to deal with the after effects of the storm and was happy for the experience he had here. We call that a couple of inches of partly cloudy.
    Ryk
    mandolin ~ guitar ~ banjo

"I'm convinced that playing well is not so much a technique as it is a decision. It's a commitment to do the work, strive for concentration, get strategic about advancing by steps, and push patiently forward toward the goal." Dan Crary

Blog Entries

I was going to stay in and practice for an upcoming Skype lesson. The storm came and took away any excuses not to.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

Down in the South East we didn’t get hit so bad as the rest of the country. Thursday and Friday were the worst days. I was working but with the ice and snow on Friday I got sent home early. I spent that afternoon working on my Airfix Spitfire MkIa 1/72 model. Never done a model kit before, but since it’s too cold for me to make musical instruments in my workshop, it’s been something to keep me occupied until the temperature goes up. Mandolin related - I changed the strings on my Weber to GHS silk and bronze. Gosh I love those strings.

By the way, love the bicycle pics! I should make the time to get out on my hardtail!
    Paul Shippey Tone Mandolin
    Paul Hathway Octave Mandola
    Montana Lutherie Ranger Mandolin
    Yamaha Stage Custom Drum Kit

25. The following members say thank you to Kalasinar for this post:

It’s a little higher than that, from memory is 28:20.

Hope that you get home and you’re thawed out!
    Long, but largely uneventful, journey back from Northumberland. Greeted home by a stream on the drive and the garage door holding back four inches of water! The freeze has blown the back out of the water meter and I'm currently waiting to hear when the water company can fix it.

At least the central heating still works and the unknown quantity of water appears not to have gone through the meter!

Doesn't sound good! Hopefully you've still got water, albeit unmetered. I had a leak last year and the water company were surprisingly sympathetic and charged us our average consumption for the period of the leak. You're a long way from the Thames but hopefully they'll have a similar policy, especially as it's their meter that has failed and caused the leak

Nope, no water - it goes into the meter and pees out of the back of it so there's nothing getting through. The water company have admitted its their problem. The "repair man" phoned at 20.10 to tell me he was on his way and would be with us at about 22.00. We live on the edge of the Peak District (Derbyshire) and he is coming from Telford in Shropshire.

Edit - 22.15 - Sorted! The engineer said that he's replaced 17 of this type of meter today in garages. Bed!
    Last edited by Ray(T); Mar-05-2018 at 5:19pm.