Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Cheering during live performance

Default Re: Cheering during live performance

Quote Originally Posted by Charlieshafer View Post
    Going to live music is more than just listening to music, .

That's really all that should need to be said.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jesserules For This Useful Post:

Why should an audience sit quietly for a classical concert so everyone can hear, and whoop and holler at a BG concert, keeping me from hearing. If one singer or instrumentalist does something especially difficult a short round of applause should be in order in either case. I think BG is as "serious" as any form of music, and should be treated as such. Yes anyone that learns 3chords on a guitar and has a few adult beverages sometimes gets up and calls what they do BG, but it ain't. Whoop and holler all you want to at that 'cause I ain't listening anyway but show some respect when "serious" BG is being played.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mandoplumb For This Useful Post:

Full Grown and Cussin' brunello97's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mandoplumb View Post
    ....Whoop and holler all you want to at that 'cause I ain't listening anyway but show some respect when "serious" BG is being played.
    "Freebird!"

Mick
    Ever tried, ever failed? No matter. Try again, fail again. Fail better.--Samuel Beckett

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road
    '06 Bialetti expresso maker
    '14 Irish Linen Ramon Puig

Why should an audience sit quietly for a classical concert so everyone can hear, and whoop and holler at a BG concert, keeping me from hearing. If one singer or instrumentalist does something especially difficult a short round of applause should be in order in either case. I think BG is as "serious" as any form of music, and should be treated as such. Yes anyone that learns 3chords on a guitar and has a few adult beverages sometimes gets up and calls what they do BG, but it ain't. Whoop and holler all you want to at that 'cause I ain't listening anyway but show some respect when "serious" BG is being played.
    you forgot the "harumph"

Ah, shuddup and play Wagon Wheel, so I can sing along and yell "Wahoo!"

Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

I was thinking about the mention of clapping at the end of a great solo.
    As a performer, I think having the crowd applaud as I come out of a solo is one of the best feelings.
    Sure it overlays the beginning of the next guys solo for a moment, but that is OK.
    An awesome solo should be rewarded with an appreciative burst of clapping and a whoop or two.
    I like it.
    Mandolins: Northfield 5-Bar Artist Model "Old Dog", J Bovier F5 Special, Gibson A-00 (1940)
    Fiddles: 1920s Strad copy, 1930s Strad copy, Liu Xi T20, Liu Xi T19+ Dark.
    Guitars: Taylor 514c (1995), Gibson Southern Jumbo (1940s), Gibson L-48 (1940s), Les Paul Custom (1978), Fender Strat (Black/RWFB) (1984), Fender Strat (Candy Apple Red/MFB) (1985).
    Sitars: Hiren Roy KP (1980s), Naskar (1970s), Naskar (1960s).
    Misc: 8 Course Lute (L.K.Brown)

I was wondering when the Bluegrass Police would show up. And, of course, they and their kind are the sole arbiters all all that is serious in bluegrass.

Searching for the Sound

I challenge anyone to have as much fun as I do at shows that warrant "full engagement" (Phish, Greensky, a recent Stringdusters show), but besides a whoop and holler hear and there, please please please let me HEAR the music ... they play every note, I wish to hear every note.

As mentioned, it's also genre and venue specific ... I saw Bela/Abby Washburn at Old Town School (Chicago) recently (always a very respectful crowd) and it was magic. Four days earlier, I saw them at a 'rock' venue in MKE (Turner Hall), and the crowd was surprisingly respectful by Turner Hall standards, and it was equally magical. A few weeks earlier at Stringdusters at Turner, there was the appropriate level of mayhem but I had to move around to get away from talkers and excessive whoopers. But, by and large, it is all good and a blast to see live music. Bring on We Banjo 3 and Railroad Earth this weekend !!!!
    - 2013 Eastman MD 505
    - 2013 Fender MandoStrat
    - 2021 Eastman MD815

Front Porch & Sweet Tea NursingDaBlues's Avatar

For me, I enjoy being a part of an audience that gives back as much as it receives.

Sometime in the early ‘90s I attended a Righteous Brothers concert. Bobby Hatfield’s voice wasn’t what it once was, but because he was a seasoned trooper he gave each song his all. Towards the end of the show while singing “Unchained Melody” it was evident he was struggling to hit the notes. That’s when the audience jumped in with their support by cheering him on through each note. His appreciation of that encouragement was clearly evident on his face.

Frequently, an audience can turn a show into a truly memorable performance. Not just by simply applauding where they’re supposed to. But by being involved with the music and by ensuring that the artist knows that his/her talent and efforts are truly appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Mando View Post
    Actually, I love it when the audience gets excited about our music!

NOW THE ONE THING I CANNOT TOLERATE, and as a musician you have no control over it, is when I'm onstage performing and a small child walks up to the front of the stage and starts dancing and looking cute and the crowd goes crazy applauding and cheering (the child, not me!) anyway, I'm not onstage to provide background music for somebody's home video. It is a futile and hopeless situation, because you can't be mad at the kid and you certainly can't say anything or you will be publicly crucified, so you just have to smile and take it, like it doesn't bother me. And, unfortunately, this has happened more than once over the years. Nobody can compete with a cute kid. Well, maybe two dogs being romantic at the front of the stage -- but fortunately that hasn't ever happened to me......................yet!

For the record, I love kids, just not when they upstage my performance. Okay, you can start the hate mail now!

look at the bright side. If they put the video up on you tube or play it for their friends at Chuck E Cheese, ASCAP and Co will be all over them for copyright violation per two concurrent threads :-)

I'll get me coat...

13. The following members say thank you to Drew Barton for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by sblock View Post
    I was wondering when the Bluegrass Police would show up. And, of course, they and their kind are the sole arbiters all all that is serious in bluegrass.
    It hasn't got anything to do with bluegrass police, I said that because that is the concerts I go to most often. My beef is that classical ( which I do listen to and have even been know to go to a concert or two) is considered " serious" music and we are to respect it and act different when listening to it. Well I'm serious about my BG and I have friends serious about jazz. I'm sure there are people that are serious about rock or country or whatever. I am not a music snob. Bluegrass is my favorite, and traditional bluegrass at that, but I can respect any musician and enjoy a lot of what they play. I probably would enjoy more if I understood it, but it seems that a lot of people don't understand bluegrass so they look down their noses at BG pickers as inferior or not even musicans. I'll get off my soap box now.

Well I'm serious about my BG and I have friends serious about jazz. I'm sure there are people that are serious about rock or country or whatever. I am not a music snob. .
    I feel the same way about punk rock. Should I have pink or green hair for my gig tonight? Which nostril should I put my earring? Which new "anti" this and that sticker should I place on my instrument and where? And, should I wear jeans, a kilt, or a dress? (thrift store dress, of course) Should I pick a fight with my audience? Use profanity? Set list or no set list?

I think the one thing we will all agree on..................the pick must be a Blue Chip!!!!!

Jeff I don't even agree about BC picks, I'll stick to my Fender xtr heavy till the pick police get me.

17. The following members say thank you to Mandoplumb for this post:

I have been to classical concerts and yes there is yelling, Bravo, whistling, and noise after a piece is played. I think the difference is that classical music is written and there is no improvisation going on so waiting until the end of the piece is what is done. In other music styles like Bluegrass, Jazz and others where improvised solo's happen, the only way to let the soloist know you "blew their dress up" is to, applaud/whistle/whatever, after the solo.

Even if they are using a whimpy pick.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

Quote Originally Posted by pops1 View Post
    I have been to classical concerts and yes there is yelling, Bravo, whistling, and noise after a piece is played. I think the difference is that classical music is written and there is no improvisation going on so waiting until the end of the piece is what is done. In other music styles like Bluegrass, Jazz and others where improvised solo's happen, the only way to let the soloist know you "blew their dress up" is to, applaud/whistle/whatever, after the solo.

Even if they are using a whimpy pick.
    Yeah,but how many tunes are you playing at a gig? 5,7,10 or more? You don't have to applaud after every solo... ( please don't get on anybody 's case about pick choices)..

One of my favorites are Hot Tuna shows. You can see them in a place where you can hear a pin drop. Then you can see them at a place like Beacon theater that is absolutely crazy. I always have the loudest people behind me there. Even if I'm second row Jorma loves that place.

Quote Originally Posted by T.D.Nydn View Post
    Yeah,but how many tunes are you playing at a gig? 5,7,10 or more? You don't have to applaud after every solo... ( please don't get on anybody 's case about pick choices)..
    Tunes or songs, it is a rare occurrence to receive gratification after a solo. It does happen, but it is not every night by any means. Some people refer to songs as tunes, and there are solo's in songs, but rarely in tunes, so I should have been more clear on that, as I will usually specify tune or song. Even playing 30-40 songs in an evening it is rare to get a solo applause once in several gigs. When it happens it is sweet.

The pick remark was referring to a previous post and was supposed to be humor. Guess I struck out all the way around on that post.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

22. The following members say thank you to pops1 for this post:

[QUOTE=Mandoplumb;1638255] Well I'm serious about my BG and I have friends serious about jazz. I'm sure there are people that are serious about rock or country or whatever.

"Be sincere but not serious."
    (ancient wisdom)