Thread: Martin LX1 (Little Martin) for tenor

Default Martin LX1 (Little Martin) for tenor

Hello Gang! I just recently acquired a Little Martin LX1 from a friend. I wasn't looking for one, but it just kind of happened (you know how things go). I think it is a nice little guitar with the solid top and HPL hybrid construction (though it is a bit on the quiet side) and 23" scale, but I have just gotten too used to playing with four strings/courses that I am considering options for this little guy.

I am still uncertain of tuning - either CGDA, GDAE, or Chicago DGBE. Nonetheless, four strings. I am wondering if there will be neck strain/twisting concerns if I remove the 5th and 6th strings and just use the first 4, or if I should keep the pressure even and remove the 1st and 6th strings and use the inner 4. This guitar uses Martin's Stratabond neck of a birch ply sandwich so I'm thinking it is pretty strong. I know this little guitar is quite neck heavy.

The only concern I have with using the four inner strings without the first and sixth strings is the feel. Having that missing "first string" might feel odd when playing. Surely having a neck that is cut or shaved down, made for four strings would be the best choice, but I don't know if this could be done with this Stratabond neck, nor do I think I have the experience to do so. I suppose I could install a new nut (which doesn't upset me at all seeing how these come with a plastic nut and this could be an opportunity for a bone nut) cut to have the first and fourth strings closer to the ends of the fretboard and then the second and third strings spaced accordingly. Seeing how this is a 1 11/16 nut width, the current string spacing has some wiggle room - my baritone ukulele conversion has wider string spacing that I am very comfortable with.

I would appreciate to hear your thoughts and experiences. Thanks!

Default Re: Martin LX1 (Little Martin) for tenor

I have the LX1E and have strung it with 4 strings in the treble most slots using Chicago tuning and have no issues. The ply neck is super strong and stable. Just need to adjust the truss rod with an extra long 5MM hex wrench, to account for lower tension

Thanks for the confirmation, colorado al. One of my thoughts for this using Chicago tuning was to consider a 5 string option, but tune the 6th string down to drop D for a drone effect. In this case, the question is to leave it in the 6th slot for a space between it and the 4 treble strings, or move it to the 5th slot to better group with the 4 trebles...

Harley Marty

Quote Originally Posted by bsfloyd View Post
    Thanks for the confirmation, colorado al. One of my thoughts for this using Chicago tuning was to consider a 5 string option, but tune the 6th string down to drop D for a drone effect. In this case, the question is to leave it in the 6th slot for a space between it and the 4 treble strings, or move it to the 5th slot to better group with the 4 trebles...
    Something you may consider if you try for a low D string is to run the strings on a diagonal down to the bridge so your top string runs down top to 2nd & your bottom string runs down fifth to the bottom pin. This gives you more length to the bridge saddle to help with the intonation of that thicker D string.

If you're adding in a low D, why not just use it as a 6 string guitar tuned DADgbe? You could also try out DADgad tuning, which often sounds surprisingly good on smaller guitars.

Thanks for the replies, guys! I like options