Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is Ragtime Oldtime?

Default Re: Is Ragtime Oldtime?

Quote Originally Posted by Kellie View Post
    I'm curious do ragtime and old time traditions sort of intertwine?
    Yes.
    There are separate and distinct approaches but they are connected and IMO "old time" for what ever that definition is worth
    I would think of the distinctions as..
    Piano rags "Classic" ragtime as played by Joplin, Lamb etc. Distinct forms and formulas
    Piano rags that have been "countrified" and transcribed for string music-In a mandolin context think Easy Winner by Prater and Hayes. This approach uses down home transcriptions of piano pieces in a string band etc setting.
    String band rags-Large family of tunes that have their own distinctive forms that differ from piano rag forms.
    String band rags go way back. There were self-teaching instructional books for ragtime fiddle published during the early teens.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to poymando For This Useful Post:

Just noticed this post and was coincidental that I played Scott Joplin on my radio show last Wed. I have an LP where he played piano to make a few piano rolls, they were then recorded to LP. Great fun to listen to. While Ragtime and Rags have similarities, I would consider Ragtime a specific type of music while Rags more of a term used in certain tunes that have a raggy feel, but are not Ragtime.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

Quote Originally Posted by poymando View Post
    Yes.
    There are separate and distinct approaches but they are connected and IMO "old time" for what ever that definition is worth
    I would think of the distinctions as..
    Piano rags "Classic" ragtime as played by Joplin, Lamb etc. Distinct forms and formulas
    Piano rags that have been "countrified" and transcribed for string music-In a mandolin context think Easy Winner by Prater and Hayes. This approach uses down home transcriptions of piano pieces in a string band etc setting.
    String band rags-Large family of tunes that have their own distinctive forms that differ from piano rag forms.
    String band rags go way back. There were self-teaching instructional books for ragtime fiddle published during the early teens.

I'd add one more category:

Dixieland ( or if you prefer trad New Orleans style ) rags; often a version of a piano rag or a band march "ragged" up. Could be original, too.