Thread: Spalted Mandolins?

Default Spalted Mandolins?

In looking through inventory at Elderly Instruments, I came across this spalted mango ukulele:

https://www.elderly.com/romero-creat...-soft-case.htm

That caused me to wonder what the heck "spalted" means, and lo behold, here is the definition: "(of wood) containing blackish irregular lines as a result of fungal decay, and sometimes used to produce a decorative surface."

So it turns out all kinds of woods can become spalted, and I personally think it looks pretty cool. Has anyone ever seen other spalted instruments, especially mandolins and guitars?

Default Re: Spalted Mandolins?

Well, to answer my own question, here's a mandolin I found:

https://www.folkmusician.com/product...maple-mandolin

Hmm, maybe that's a bit much -- not sure I like that as much as the Romero uke.

3. The following members say thank you to Miltown for this post:

That looks crazy.

Spalted wood is not uncommon in electric instruments, where it is typically laminated with other, more structurally sound, woods. It's all for aesthetics.

Spalted wood is often very soft, or 'punky', in the spalted areas, which makes it less than ideal for acoustic instruments, certainly in un-laminated situations. That's why you won't see them very regularly.
    1918 Gibson F4
    2016 Northfield NF-5S
    2017 Black Guitar Bodied Octave Mandolin #42

There's a harp maker in Colorado - Blevins, who use lots of spalts. Very pretty stuff.

Blog Entries

There's an old stump in my yard that I recently tried to salvage in order to make a pickguard or armrest. A piece of bark fell off, revealing a wonderful spalt pattern. It's a large stump, so I thought I'd be able to get several chunks/slices.

Unfortunately, it was too far gone. When I tried to saw or split the wood, most of it just crumbled. I think if I had gotten to it five years ago, it would have worked.

Article on spalted wood on Wikipedia.

Spalting is any form of wood coloration caused by fungi. Although primarily found in dead trees, spalting can also occur in living trees under stress. Although spalting can cause weight loss and strength loss in the wood, the unique coloration and patterns of spalted wood are sought after by woodworkers.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

9. The following members say thank you to Jim Garber for this post:

I frequently use spalted wood in wood turning. It makes beautiful patterned bowls but you frequently have to stabilize the wood before or during turning using CA glue or polyester resin. You also have to wear a good dust mask because you don't want to inhale any fungal spores.
    Flatiron 2MW
    Eastman 615

We own a couple of spalted pieces -- a bowl and vase come to mind -- and they're very pretty, but I would worry about an instrument with too much spalting.
    --------------------------------
    1920 Lyon & Healy bowlback
    1923 Gibson A-1 snakehead
    1952 Strad-o-lin
    1983 Giannini ABSM1 bandolim
    2009 Giannini GBSM3 bandolim
    2011 Eastman MD305

but that's just me Bertram Henze's Avatar

The German word "spalten" means "to split". Just saying
    the world is better off without bad ideas, good ideas are better off without the world

13. The following members say thank you to Bertram Henze for this post:

Here's a nice piece of ''Spalted Maple'' used for an elec.guitar body. I'm not sure what effect 'spalting' would have on say,top wood for instance - is there even any 'spalted' Spruce of 'whatever' species ??,
    Ivan
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Spalted Maple.jpg 
Views:	116 
Size:	30.1 KB 
ID:	165495
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

You can bet that the Morgan Monroe spalted maple mandolin has a pressed laminate (aka plywood) and not carved solid top.

They state that the salted maple top is laminated. It looks lik it has a moustache. Well, sort of. I don’t mind the figure on the top but the overcooked sausage scroll leaves me cold.
    Timothy F. Lewis
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease a very big skillet" J.D. Clampett

Quote Originally Posted by Bertram Henze View Post
    The German word "spalten" means "to split". Just saying
    D'oh! Not a good sign.

Mediocre but OK with that Paul Busman's Avatar

I've made some penny whistles from spalted Tamarind and they came out really gorgeous. As others have noted, spalted wood can be softer than the original wood,punky, may have voids etc. It definitely requires special care.I'm turning it down to a tube with 5/32"walls so stability on the lathe is critical. What I've taken to doing with spalted or other unstable woods is to bore the .500 inside, then turn the outside down to walls about .25". I soak these in Minwax High Performance Wood Hardener for a day. Once the tubes have cured, I re-bore them and they're ready for finish turning.
    I'm thinking that in an instrument with as much stress as a mandolin with it's high string tension, it might not be a great choice except maybe as a veneer.
    For wooden musical fun that doesn't involve strumming, check out:
    www.busmanwhistles.com
    Handcrafted pennywhistles in exotic hardwoods.

i have a Spalted ukulele that i play regularly. It is my favorite instrument out of all the ukuleles i own. LOVE IT!!!