Thread: Synthetic Necks vs Wood Necks

Default Synthetic Necks vs Wood Necks

What are the pros and cons of each? Do synthetic necks affect tone?

Adrian Minarovic

Default Re: Synthetic Necks vs Wood Necks

Quote Originally Posted by Em Tee View Post
    What are the pros and cons of each? Do synthetic necks affect tone?
    Do you mean carbon fiber necks? They are usually attached to carbon fiber instruments that are completely different animal from wooden so it is impossible how it affects sound...
    Or do you mean laminated plywood like the low series of Martin guitars? The longer and thinner the neck the more impact it has on tone, IMO. On long scale banjo or electric guitar it is more important, on shorter necked guitars and mandolins less so.
    Adrian

Quote Originally Posted by HoGo View Post
    Do you mean carbon fiber necks? They are usually attached to carbon fiber instruments that are completely different animal from wooden so it is impossible how it affects sound...
    Or do you mean laminated plywood like the low series of Martin guitars? The longer and thinner the neck the more impact it has on tone, IMO. On long scale banjo or electric guitar it is more important, on shorter necked guitars and mandolins less so.
    Carbon fiber, yes. And it is not always the case that carbon fiber necks are attached to carbon fiber mandolins. Econo Silverangels come to mind.

Adrian Minarovic

I've never seen Silverangel with CF neck, just wood.
    Are you talking about CF truss-rods inserted inside necks?
    I think then the difference is minimal to nonexistent and in such case I prefer adjustable truss rod over fixed one. And from adjustable I prefer standard single compression rod over double two way rods that are very heavy. Martin style aluminum U-channel rod for guitars.
    Adrian

Correct, Silverangel Econos have wooden necks, and mine has an adjustable truss rod...

Sonny Morris and Phoenix come to mind as 2 builders who use CF neck stabilizers instead of truss rods...
    Chuck

As mentioned above it is the truss rod not the neck itself. A carbon fiber truss rod is going to be fixed and the neck will not adjustable. If done properly there should be no issues with this. The old Gibson necks prior to about 1921 were non adjustable, but a metal rod. Most newer mandolins will have a metal truss rod with a nut (under the truss rod cover on the peg head) that you can adjust. That way you can get the fretboard flat or have a slight amount of relief in it (very slight bow downward). Temperature and humidity can effect wood so most prefer an adjustable truss rod.

Thank you for the clarification. This was very helpful.