Thread: Grover 309 Missing Screw

Default Grover 309 Missing Screw

Well, I'm missing a screw on my own build mandolin. Can anyone suggest a source for the machine screw that holds the gear to the string post ? I looked through all my bit and pieces but only found one with correct thread but a flathead (and head too small). Any advice appreciated. I didn't find anything but button screws in the search. Thanks
    Dave
    Heiden A, '52 Martin D-18, Taylor 510, Carlson Custom A with Electronics

Default Re: Grover 309 Missing Screw

I have a large selection of screws but don't know the thread size for that set of tuners. I know the size for the Gibson Grovers but not the 309's. Does anyone know the size?

Wait a minute, that also has an inset screw head, right? Try All Parts (www.allparts.com). They carry Grover parts. You might try calling them on the phone.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

I just went and looked as I thought I did, but they were the 310's and I am not sure they are the same.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

Teacher, repair person

In the States, Ace Hardware has drawers full of screws and washers and dozens of other useful small items of hardware. I don't know who the hardware suppliers are in Canada, but that is the first place I would look.

I had a screw break off in the end of my tuning post. I searched everywhere. Instrument repair shops, hardware stores, etc.. A friend suggested a gunsmith. Sure enough he extracted the old screw and replaced with a screw the matched the rest. Worth a try.
    Play em like you know em!

This will be a metric screw, if someone can size it I should be able to add some to my stash that I send along just because. These aren't unusual screws. I've matched Gotoh, Waverly, and the Gibson Grovers. I just haven't had any of these and I do believe it's one of the sizes that All Parts is selling. My biggest problem in most cases is getting gold ones. Heck, maybe I'll call the last guy I talked to at Grover.
    --M. Stillion

--J. Garber

Thanks all, yes Mike it is a weird little screw with the inset head. I'll give allparts a try. It is also a strange size it measures just over 2.5mm so neither a 2mm or 3mm will fit. I put the one I found with the flat head on with a small washer under the head so it works at least. So the search will continue. It might be quicker to replace the tuners, I think I have an setoff old Schallers somewhere. Thanks again !!
    Dave

I'd love to know that screw size. My son-in-law lives in another state but has a set of Grovers on his mandolin. One of these days I'll remember to take my stuff with me to check the size.
    --M. Stillion

--J. Garber

Dave, can you take one out of another gear and go to the hardware and figure out the thread size?
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

By the way, there is a 2.5 mm and a 2.3 mm machine screw size.
    --M. Stillion

--J. Garber

Well I did try one with all the metric and inch nuts I had but nothing matched. I live in a smaller city in the rocky mountains. No hardware's nearby that stock large screw selections. The nearest place would be the Ace Hardware iin Kalispell Montana about 2-1/2 hours across the border.
    Dave
    Allparts had nothing but I am trying Grover Parts at Grotro.

Update.. I got in touch with the Grover USA/NA reps and they offered to send replacement screw, never received it so asked if it maybe got lost in the mail. I was then informed the part was unavailable but if I would send in the bad side (treble) they would replace it for shipping cost. So I'm reluctant to have the mandolin unusable for weeks ?. Not sure why a screw couldn't be taken out and sent as they will end up with a unusable set anyway ??!! However I think what I may do is just order a new set of tuners (NOT Grover) as I don't want to go through this again in the future. So what tuner company supplies parts if you have problems?? Thanks.
    Dave

Contact Bruce Weber at Montana Luthiere . I had him change out my 309's for a set of Rubners and I gave him the Grovers.

https://www.montanalutherie.com/

I sent a damaged 309 back to Grover and they shipped the replacement the same day they received mine. Using Priority Mail I had the new one in less than a week.
    Out of tune and out of time.

HappyPickin, well things aren't quite that quick or simple here as the tuner would have to go through US Customs going and Canada Customs coming back so I would be looking at about a month. I don't really want to be without it that long as it has electronics in it and I use it with the bands I play with. I'll look into the Rubners and see what the cost is and parts backup. I hate having to go through full replacement because of a machine screw!! Thanks for the answers and advice, much appreciated.
    Dave

It might not be an urgent issue, as long as string tension is applied. The tension should keep the gear in place, just be aware of it, if you loosen or change strings. Should give you time to hunt down a replacement. Like you say, the trick is finding the screw without having to buy another set of tuners!