Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Blue Chip Uk

Default Re: Blue Chip Uk

Ivan I used one borrowed from a friend ( 2songs with him standing beside me watching) true it was only one style maybe the wrong one for me. I didn't really have anything against it but I didn't see that it was any better than my Fender extra heavy. It probably would last longer but the fenders are about 2or3 for a dollar and if I lose one so what, if I wear one out I just grab another.

2. The following members say thank you to Mandoplumb for this post:

Almeria - I find that the Primetone picks are ok for me with regard to beings 'smooth',especially the non-grippy ones.They look & feel very much like my friend's BC pick. However,i have trouble with any smooth pick.I don't seem to be able to prevent them slipping in my fingers. The PT 'grippy' ones stay put (to a degree),& to my ears,they're also a tiny bit brighter,
    Ivan
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Primetone 2.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	70.1 KB 
ID:	165520
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

First impression of the Primetone is favourable. The increased thickness feels odd at the moment and it's about 2mm shorter than my old pick so my fingers brush the strings sometimes when I play. But I like the sound which is the main thing.

Those dark brown Primetones are seriously good picks. I used a large triangle 1.5 for well over a year until I got a Blue Chip TP60. Still use the Prime Tone in loud jams, as it has a little more "punch".

I also use a dark brown teardrop Prime Tone .96mm for all acoustic guitar playing (used to use a Blue Chip TD40, but my wife "liberated" it!).

And yes, Ivan's right, the "grippy" Amber-coloured Prime Tones are brighter than the brown ones, but I personally don't care for the tone or the feel of them in the hand. I found that, despite the grips, they just spin around in my fingers, whereas most other picks just stay in place. Your mileage may vary, etc etc.

Blog Entries

Of the two Primetones, I prefer the plain brown ones. The "grippy" ones sound quite harsh to me on mandolin and I did not like the feel of them at all.
    Gibson F5 'Harvey' Fern, Gibson F5 'Derrington' Fern
    Distressed Silverangel F 'Esmerelda' aka 'Maxx'
    Northfield Big Mon #127
    Ellis F5 Special #288
    '39 & '45 D-18's, 1950 D-28.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to almeriastrings For This Useful Post:

Almeria - I do think that the 'grippy' Primetones are a tad brighter than the same thickness of 'plain' ones - but - although they're supposed to be the same thicknesses,the 'grippy' ones being a moulded item,rather than made from sheet material,are a tiny bit thicker & maybe that's the cause of the brightness.The plain (smooth) ones,are a tiny bit more rounded off. I've got 1.3mm / 1.5mm 'grippy' & 'smooth' ones, & i've played them back to back several times. Needless to say,sometime i'll prefer one to the other,but mostly,i use the grippy ones as they stay in my vicinity a bit longer !,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

Quote Originally Posted by Gelsenbury View Post
    Have you tried the Gold Series from Gravity Picks? It feels quite similar to the Blue Chip, and I like the sound even better.
    I second that. The Gravity Gold Tripp XL I have is my personal favourite. Great sound and volume, and less pick noise than my BC.

As for obtaining Blue Chip Picks, I jumped on an offer they had one new years for free international shipping. They advertised it on facebook iirc. I don’t remember getting stung for import/handling fees, but really I think I was just lucky in that respect. Otherwise, I’d say JP Guitars would be the safest bet.