Thread: Poltergeist on my A strings?

Default Poltergeist on my A strings?

They keep going out of tune I can tune up and then an hour or so later they're out of tune. I don't think that it's temperature as the other strings are pretty much spot on.

I assume the nut slots should be my first port of call?

Default Re: Poltergeist on my A strings?

Do they go out of tune even before you've played them after tuning & do they go 'sharp' or 'flat' ??. I tune up (or at least check the tuning) on my mandolin before i play it,& very often the "A" strings will go out of tune to 'a degree' after i've played it for a while. If the strings are simply going out of tune on their own - then it's odd to say the least. With no problems of humidity here in the UK,i can tune a mandolin,put it in it's case,come back to it several days later & it'll still be in tune.

As you mention - it might be the nut slots. If the strings are binding,maybe simply getting a small piece of coarse brown paper,folding it up to make knife edge,& polishing the slots a bit to smooth then out might work,or apply a tiny amount of some form of lubricant.

I had a problem with one of the "A" strings on my Weber going 'sharp' ?. I couldn't understand that at all until a Cafe member explained it to me. I used a piece of brown paper,gave the offending nut slot a good polishing & it's been fine,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

Sorry should have said that they go sharp, I'm assuming that there is excess tension "stored" between the tuner and nut that slowly slips over time.

I'll have a look at the nut slots - thanks!

Yes, do that...also, A strings being difficult to keep in tune is usually my first clue that a string change is in order...
    Chuck

Strings have only been on for about 6 weeks and I don’t play that much, plus they’ve been doing it since the start so I suspect the nut

Well I took the plunge yesterday. I'd been putting it off but was actually far easier than I'd expected.

Tuned up last night and when I came back this morning the A strings (and the rest) were still in tune.