Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Odered a KM 950 from Amazon....guess what happened

Default Re: Odered a KM 950 from Amazon....guess what happened

Should get my B stock KM 900 from Music 123 today. 725 dollars with a case shipped. Likely will need a setup and will do myself. Practiced on enough cheapo mandolin by now.
    Ray Dearstone #009 D1A (1999)
    Skip Kelley #063 Offset Two Point (2017)
    Arches #9 A Style (2005)
    Bourgeois M5A (2022)
    Hohner and Seydel Harmonicas (various keys)

"Heck, Jimmy Martin don't even believe in Santy Claus!"

Glad the ending is happy for the OP...Dan will do a great set up for you!
    Chuck

Quote Originally Posted by Bluegrassbboy85 View Post
    CCravens—Reread my original post-I had first ordered with Mando store. They are back ordered for 950. Maybe I should have waited...well find out tomorrow.

So have you had a bad experience with Musician’s Friend?

Also, I knew it wouldn’t be setup, but I’m only an hour from Nashville...
    I read your post the first time. Thus my third sentence.

Glad it turned out well for you. Let us know how it sounds when you get it back.
    Chris Cravens

Girouard A5
    Montana Flatiron A-Jr.
    Passernig Mandola
    Leo Posch D-18

Well the KM-900 arrived. Plays quite well after I did what was needed to be done in the way of set up. Just great volume and sustain. Intonation is right on. Great action. Balance is good and the playability is excellent. I got very lucky and dodged a bullet as they did a terrible job packing it at Music 123. I had purchased a case, but they shipped it separate. Hard to believe but they packed the case better than they packed the mandolin. The mandolin was thinly wrapped in what amounted to tissue paper. Then placed in a "fitted" box. Then inside a larger box but with only some paper stuffed inside. When I picked the box up it was rattling around like a set of ill fitting dentures. I got sick. When I finally opened the box a miracle took place as the mandolin wasn't damaged one bit. I let Music 123 know by email. It will be my last purchase of an instrument from them.
    Arches #9 A Style (2005)
    Bourgeois M5A (2022)

Congrats on the new KM-900. Excellent mandolins!

Of interest.. Music 123 is owned and operated by Guitar Center. It should have shipped from the same warehouses used for Musicians Friend.

For a while, they just had the one distribution center in Kansas City, MO, then they recently opened one in Rialto California. Did the KM-900 ship from either of these locations?
    Robert Fear
    http://www.folkmusician.com

"Education is when you read the fine print; experience is what you get when you don't.
    " - Pete Seeger

6. The following members say thank you to Folkmusician.com for this post:

Ordering from Amazon does not mean that an instrument will be shipped directly from an Amazon warehouse, either.

I've never bought a mandolin via amazon, but have many other items, never a complaint. I know that amazon, musician's friend, et al, will be hit or miss, but easy to return.

TMS on the other hand, shipped me a KM-900 with a bridge that is incorrectly made and will not intonate on the A string. My fault for not checking the instrument out thoroughly, but they make a big deal about their expert setup, so I didn't expect to find a problem.

I took possession of my Ratliff mandocello later than planned, because Audie had a lot of mandolins returned with broken necks caused by rough handling along the way to their destinations, and he had to repair them to honor the contracts. This was in 2011. I drove down to get the mandocello, because of that (Baltimore to Kingsport).
    Last edited by Greg Stec; Mar-02-2018 at 9:32am.

Quote Originally Posted by Folkmusician.com View Post
    Congrats on the new KM-900. Excellent mandolins!

Of interest.. Music 123 is owned and operated by Guitar Center. It should have shipped from the same warehouses used for Musicians Friend.

For a while, they just had the one distribution center in Kansas City, MO, then they recently opened one in Rialto California. Did the KM-900 ship from either of these locations?
    Hi Robert. Thanks. I wish I had been more careful in my search, and seen the KM-900 you have for $898.00. I would have paid the extra money for the complete setup and get it shipped properly. Just didn't see it until it was too late. The first stop for both items shipped by UPS was Lenexa, KS. so I would guess KC, MO. I just recently read about Guitar Center, Music 123 and Musicians Friend being the same company. This one is June 2017 so it has the 1 1/8" nut. I wanted to ask if these have tone bars? The Saga description doesn't say.
    Arches #9 A Style (2005)
    Bourgeois M5A (2022)

Bill,

Your KM-900 blem deal would be hard to pass up. With you doing the setup yourself, you ended up with a great mandolin at a really good price.

Parallel Tone Bars on these.
    Robert Fear

"Education is when you read the fine print; experience is what you get when you don't.
    " - Pete Seeger

11. The following members say thank you to Folkmusician.com for this post:

I have always been fascinated by warehouse setups and automation (no idea why), especially in relation to musical instruments:

Robert Fear

" - Pete Seeger

13. The following members say thank you to Folkmusician.com for this post:

I have always been fascinated by warehouse setups and automation (no idea why), especially in relation to musical instruments:

So the conglomerate also includes Music and Arts?
    Arches #9 A Style (2005)
    Bourgeois M5A (2022)

Ah, logistics!

Bill,

Your KM-900 blem deal would be hard to pass up. With you doing the setup yourself, you ended up with a great mandolin at a really good price.

Parallel Tone Bars on these.
    Thanks Robert. All in all, I think everyone would agree, $898.00, case, shipping and setup, included, on a new KM-900 is a very good deal. It's basically $200.00 below the accepted retail price for one of these.
    Arches #9 A Style (2005)
    Bourgeois M5A (2022)

Just because of the photos of guitar center I thought I'd mention my experience.

Bought a banjo from guitar center then returned it because the fretboard was separating from the neck, they sent me a new one with a smashed resonator. After that they sent me a third one and the neck was snapped in half. Easy to return all of them but took my business elsewhere after dealing with this.

If you can pick one up at a store front I would. I think the people in the shipping department have a vendetta against musical instruments. Or order from a person who's dealt in shipping musical instruments and has a vested interest in you receiving a functioning mandolin.

Quote Originally Posted by Dylan Turner View Post
    Just because of the photos of guitar center I thought I'd mention my experience.

Bought a banjo from guitar center then returned it because the fretboard was separating from the neck, they sent me a new one with a smashed resonator. After that they sent me a third one and the neck was snapped in half. Easy to return all of them but took my business elsewhere after dealing with this.

If you can pick one up at a store front I would. I think the people in the shipping department have a vendetta against musical instruments. Or order from a person who's dealt in shipping musical instruments and has a vested interest in you receiving a functioning mandolin.
    Wow. After three returns, I'd give up. I may have given up after one or two. Easy or not, the return process is time consuming and no one gets compensated for their time returning an instrument.
    Arches #9 A Style (2005)
    Bourgeois M5A (2022)

Just though I'd mention, they have another "Open box, scratch and dent" KM-900 at Music 123. $671.99, no case, setup etc. Here's the link. https://www.music123.com/folk-tradit...model-mandolin

To the right of the photo click on Open Box. Then use the drop down to get to "Scratch and Dent." It's risky, but for $671.99, buy a case, and do the setup, you may get lucky. I only spent $49.49 at Musician's Gear on one of those Gator hard cases. It was 25% off. In fact they had some Hiscox cases there on sale. NFI.
    Arches #9 A Style (2005)
    Bourgeois M5A (2022)

Quote Originally Posted by willkamm View Post
    Easy or not, the return process is time consuming and no one gets compensated for their time returning an instrument.
    Like Judge Judy says, "You want to sue for pain and suffering? NO! YOU DON"T GET TO SUE FOR PAIN AND SUFFERING!"

Open box, scratch and dent" KM-900 at Music 123. $671.99, no case, setup etc.
    Wow, that is a good deal! The bridge on that 900 is not original. Not that, that would prevent me from jumping on the deal, just pointing it out.
    Robert Fear

" - Pete Seeger

Wow, that is a good deal! The bridge on that 900 is not original. Not that, that would prevent me from jumping on the deal, just pointing it out.
    Wow! What an eye for detail! Well then, I will include a picture of the bridge on mine. Could you weigh on on that for me?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180302_114315.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	419.3 KB 
ID:	165525  
    Arches #9 A Style (2005)
    Bourgeois M5A (2022)

Just looked. Now I see the difference. The size of the adjusting wheels on the scratch and dent are wider/larger.
    Arches #9 A Style (2005)
    Bourgeois M5A (2022)

Could you weigh on on that for me?
    Your bridge is original. These are unique to the Master Models.

The other is thinner, much larger posts, and distressed thumbwheels. If I took a guess, that bridge is off of a Washburn M118SWK. They even have an open box version. Maybe missing a bridge! haha
    Robert Fear

" - Pete Seeger

25. The following members say thank you to Folkmusician.com for this post:

Buy that open box one for $672 and a Cumberland Acoustic bridge for $60, and you'll have a sweet setup for an amazing price, assuming it gets to you in one piece...

Buy that open box one for $672 and a Cumberland Acoustic bridge for $60, and you'll have a sweet setup for an amazing price, assuming it gets to you in one piece...
    Agreed! I would be all over that, if I were in the market.
    Robert Fear

" - Pete Seeger

Brother has worked for UPS for over 30 years. Worse than you can do is put fragile or instrument on the outside. He said lots of those warehouse workers are usually mad about something and they'll throw the fragile boxes as hard as they can into the truck. Then throw them around some more. Management does not care. What can they do? Yell at a worker for doing his job throwing boxes into the truck? They do it all day long.

Just pack em well, and don't put fragile or musical instrument on the outside.

Quote Originally Posted by fscotte View Post
    Brother has worked for UPS for over 30 years. Worse than you can do is put fragile or instrument on the outside. He said lots of those warehouse workers are usually mad about something and they'll throw the fragile boxes as hard as they can into the truck. Then throw them around some more. Management does not care. What can they do? Yell at a worker for doing his job throwing boxes into the truck? They do it all day long.

Just pack em well, and don't put fragile or musical instrument on the outside.
    There was that Amazon Warehouse this winter, in Indiana IIRC, where the heat was broke down for about a week. I'm certain that was a happy group.
    Arches #9 A Style (2005)
    Bourgeois M5A (2022)