Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: New Northfield Case Is A Winner!

Default New Northfield Case Is A Winner!

I got to check out the new, lightweight Northfield cases yesterday at Wintergrass in Bellevue and was quite impressed! I will be getting one as soon as they are available. The look, build quality, interior/exterior treatment and light weight of the case pushed all the right buttons... and my venerable Kimble A model fit perfectly in a case which is, ostensibly, built to fit most F models.

About the colors... my fave was the classy-looking grey with the modernistic green being a close second. I also tried my first NF octave mandolin and not only did it sound and look superb, their setup work was perfection.

These folks are creating a most impressive line of mando-centric products...

2. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Glassweb For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Default Re: New Northfield Case Is A Winner!

Glassweb ~ were you in an evevator jam Saturday night? If so, I might have spoken to you briefly between floors about Kimble mandolins (I have an oval hole). Just wondering if that might have been you?

Yeah, the Northfield cases looked pretty sweet. A lot of storage space compared to some of the other cases out there.
    ... not all those who wander are lost ...

I e-mailed Northfield last Friday regarding these new cases. Northfield did mention on here that 'hopefully', they can arrange for them to be bought directly from Germany,where they're made. Obviously it will take time to organise something like that,but i'm anxious to know if it's even feasible,or are we in the UK / EU going to be disappointed ?,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

I had the opportunity to view the new recurve cases last Tuesday at the Northfield shop, just before Adrian left for wintergrass, I am very impressed. I think the gray one looks awesome also.
    '02 Gibson master model #70327 02-01-02
    '25 Gibson A-4 Snakehead #82626
    '06 Hicks #1 and #2 F-5 still not done

Gibson F-5 Master Model Registry

Where is the storage space - under the neck, off to the side(s), is it covered space?

Blog Entries

Reposting this flier from the NAMM Show as reference for those that may have missed it.

8. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Mandolin Cafe For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Denman John View Post
    Glassweb ~ were you in an evevator jam Saturday night? If so, I might have spoken to you briefly between floors about Kimble mandolins (I have an oval hole). Just wondering if that might have been you?

Yeah, the Northfield cases looked pretty sweet. A lot of storage space compared to some of the other cases out there.
    nope... must have been someone else in that elevator! and Alan, if my memory serves me well i believe the storage is under the neck... these are REALLY nice cases!

10. The following members say thank you to Glassweb for this post:

AlanN 

Mando-Thrasher

Looks great! Thanks for the report! Did the Northfield folks indicate when these would be on sale for the public?
    <- Steve ->

Loar 220 A Model
    Eastman MD515 F Model
    Collings MT Wide Nut A Model

Quote Originally Posted by Jammer61 View Post
    Looks great! Thanks for the report! Did the Northfield folks indicate when these would be on sale for the public?
    Quote from Northfield on this site and in response to email queries:

Quote Originally Posted by Northfield mando View Post
    Cases will be available starting around March 1st. We’ll keep everyone updated.
    Getting close!

C.
    Northfield F5S Amber #347 - 'Squeeze'
    Mann EM-5 Hollow Body - Gimme Moore
    Kentucky KM-270 - Not just for whisky
    Flatiron 1N Pancake - Not just for breakfast
    Epiphone Mandobird IV - Djangly
    Cozart 8-string e-mando - El Ch(e)apo
    Lanikai LB6-S Banjolele (tuned GDAE) - Plinky and the Brane

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chris Daniels For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

These look to be a very nice case.... I have seen a couple of the Jakob Winter fiddle cases of (very) similar spec and they both look great and provide good protection with light weight. They are a step up from the Travelite/Gator 'foam' type cases without getting into Calton/Pegasus/Hoffee territory. Ideal for gigging around town. Love the exterior finishes...
    Gibson F5 'Harvey' Fern, Gibson F5 'Derrington' Fern
    Distressed Silverangel F 'Esmerelda' aka 'Maxx'
    Northfield Big Mon #127
    Ellis F5 Special #288
    '39 & '45 D-18's, 1950 D-28.

These do look really cool!

Although they claim it to be universal, does that include the short neck, Gibson-styled mandolins? I have a short neck F4 and it doesn't fit in a couple of the aftermarket hardshell cases I have.

Blog Entries

Edit: the retailer advertising these as coming with their Northfield stock jumped the gun. Inaccurate information.
    Last edited by Mandolin Cafe; Mar-16-2018 at 2:39pm.

17. The following members say thank you to Mandolin Cafe for this post:

I get the impression that it's very early days yet for these new cases. I'm still living in the hope that they will be available direct to us in the UK / EU,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan Kelsall View Post
    I get the impression that it's very early days yet for these new cases. I'm still living in the hope that they will be available direct to us in the UK / EU,
    Ivan
    Hi everyone! Thanks so much for the encouragement and all the interest in our new cases. We’re still about 2 weeks out from having them ready for distribution in the USA. A little later than we expected, sorry for the wait!

Our plan is to get a feel for the sales and production requirements here in the states first. Meanwhile, start the next batch and hope we can have our fulfillment setup from Germany established by the time the cases are finished. Please stay tuned for delivery and availability changes - we’ll announce as soon as we’re ready to start shipping from Michigan.

Thanks again everyone. There are a lot of exciting things happening for Northfield right now. Exciting and challenging. New cases, new instruments, and an additional location that we’re renovating now in Marshall.
    -Adrian & the Northfielders

20. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Northfield mando For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Northfield mando View Post
    Hi everyone! Thanks so much for the encouragement and all the interest in our new cases. We’re still about 2 weeks out from having them ready for distribution in the USA. A little later than we expected, sorry for the wait!

Our plan is to get a feel for the sales and production requirements here in the states first. Meanwhile, start the next batch and hope we can have our fulfillment setup from Germany established by the time the cases are finished. Please stay tuned for delivery and availability changes - we’ll announce as soon as we’re ready to start shipping from Michigan.

Thanks again everyone. There are a lot of exciting things happening for Northfield right now. Exciting and challenging. New cases, new instruments, and an additional location that we’re renovating now in Marshall.
    -Adrian & the Northfielders
    All good news... thanks!

If possible I'll buy one directly in Germany, so let it happen!

Any word on pricing?
    Chris Cravens

Girouard A5
    Montana Flatiron A-Jr.
    Passernig Mandola
    Leo Posch D-18

Quote Originally Posted by ccravens View Post
    Any word on pricing?
    Was wondering that yesterday.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

Adrian Minarovic

I'd like to ask wheteher there will be two versions of body interior - standard vs. big mon size?
    Adrian

It's on the nf website for 275.
    2010 Heiden A5, 2020 Pomeroy oval A, 2013 Kentucky KM1000 F5, 2012 Girouard A Mandola w ff holes, 2001 Old Wave A oval octave
    http://HillbillyChamberMusic.bandcamp.com
    Videos: https://www.youtube.com/@hillbillychambermusic

Blog Entries

There is a story about someone wanting to sue the company because the latches did not hold and her violin fell out. This is their violin case obviously but it is the same design as the mandolin case.

BTW I like the case but I wish it had some sort of locking-latch as a backup.
    Decipit exemplar vitiis imitabile

[QUOTE=DougC;1641213]There is a story about someone wanting to sue the company because the latches did not hold and her violin fell out. This is their violin case obviously but it is the same design as the mandolin case.]

Sheesh. So there is "a story about someone who wants to sue. . . "

What's the point/implication of this post?

Blog Entries

[QUOTE=Luna Pick;1641248]
    Quote Originally Posted by DougC View Post
    There is a story about someone wanting to sue the company because the latches did not hold and her violin fell out. This is their violin case obviously but it is the same design as the mandolin case.]

Sheesh. So there is "a story about someone who wants to sue. . . "

What's the point/implication of this post?
    There are a number of "implications". I'm glad someone is sharp enough to notice...

First, and foremost, it is an effort to help other Mandolin Cafe readers to be more informed about a product.

Second, it is an observation about a product design that might be improved.

Third, it is a concern for Mandolin Cafe readers in an effort to keep their beautiful mandolin safe.

Fourth and lastly, it is not an effort to be negative about something that many consider to be a "winner".

We know nothing about whether there was a lawsuit, the specific claim, or if it was successful, or exactly why the instrument fell out. Your post comes off to me at least that the Recurve mandolin may be faulty, at least by association.

I think most people want to take good care of their instrument.

My post isn't ill-intended, and I don't think yours is either. Just want the Northfield folks, and all others in business, to have a level playing field. Any product, cases included, can be flawed.

To the extent there are similarities between the violin and mandolin cases I certainly appreciate being informed, but at the same time think the Northfield folks are pretty diligent about their product design, selection, due diligence. NFI.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Luna Pick View Post

My post isn't ill-intended, and I don't think yours is either.

(I) think the Northfield folks are pretty diligent about their product design, selection, due diligence. NFI.
    My first impression about the Northfield folks and this new case was the same. They probably do an excellent job of selecting good products and good designs. So after some of my due diligence, I found the lawsuit story. Personally, I favor Northfield's good judgment.

But the lack of a LOCKING LATCH in my humble opinion creates some doubt about the design. And Mandolin Cafe is just the place to share ideas and insights about the design.

I could care less about the silly person and her lawsuit.