Thread: Collings Top Wood

Default Collings Top Wood

Hello Gang,

I was wondering If anyone knows if Collings has ever offered an Engelmann top on any of the MT2V and MT2V deluxe models. I know Kym Warner has a couple but he ordered them that way. Are there any out there? I'd love to hear from anyone who has one.
    Those little MT's with the Engel tops are such a great value. It's really hard to beat it for that price...

I saw this ad of this amazing MT2 that was available at The Music Emporium at some point. I would've loved to have gotten my hands on this one.

http://themusicemporium.com/new-arri...black-top-2011

Thanks,
    Demetrius
    Last edited by Demetrius; Feb-25-2018 at 6:36pm.

Default Re: Collings Top Wood

This NAMM special MT has an Englemann spruce top.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	col-mtsbp-1333-1-2aef2b70.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	146.9 KB 
ID:	165382
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

The MT2 at TME was mine. It was custom ordered. It had a matching oval hole, which I still have.
    "your posts ... very VERY opinionated ...basing your opinion/recommendations ... pot calling ...kettle... black...sarcasm...comment ...unwarranted...unnecessary...."

Quote Originally Posted by Mandobar View Post
    The MT2 at TME was mine. It was custom ordered. It had a matching oval hole, which I still have.
    I would love that instrument...

I’ve had a bunch of engelmann MT2s and Mf5s. They are nice, but you don’t see too many. Personally I prefer the torrified models. The all torrified MT2 is startling. Probably the best balanced mandolin I’ve played, very sensitive to touch, and with volume to spare. It wasn’t at TME long. Did not even make it to the website.
    "your posts ... very VERY opinionated ...basing your opinion/recommendations ... pot calling ...kettle... black...sarcasm...comment ...unwarranted...unnecessary...."

The personal who supply's Collings with Engman spruce is a a guys Ilnow from ID who falls his own trees on his property!
    He was RL Givens asst !
    He now builds Givens Legacy Mandolins! And guitars and Cellos
    He does it all ! Planing tops ect
    A real amazing guy !
    Check out " Givens Legacy Mandolins" He sells them occasionally on the Cafe Site !

BTW I have a 1991 Givens A 6
    Mandolin its Awesome 👏 👏👏
    Atomic is the sound 😎👍

Givens Legacy Mandolins
    Steve Weil
    208 263 1841

That guy is Steve Weill and my Weber Yellowstone has an engleman top from him. I talked with Bruce Weber a couple of weeks ago at the shop and he just bought a bunch of engleman for his new builds.

Quote Originally Posted by Demetrius View Post
    Hello Gang,

I was wondering If anyone knows if Collings has ever offered an Engelmann top on any of the MT2V and MT2V deluxe models. I know Kym Warner has a couple but he ordered them that way. Are there any out there? I'd love to hear from anyone who has one.
    Those little MT's with the Engel tops are such a great value. It's really hard to beat it for that price...

I saw this ad of this amazing MT2 that was available at The Music Emporium at some point. I would've loved to have gotten my hands on this one.

http://themusicemporium.com/new-arri...black-top-2011

Thanks,
    Demetrius
    There was a black top MT2 at Fiddler's Green last year that was an amazing instrument. It would hold it's own against just about anything. Ben from FG may know where it went.

I’ve owned a Givens Legacy A6. The fretwork left a lot to be desired. My luthier had to reseat most of the frets after a few months of playing it. The tone was ok, but it was nothing like the MT2 in the OP’s first post.