Thread: The Last Rose of Summer

Default The Last Rose of Summer

Love this song ! Just heard it in the new movie " Three Billboards". Going to learn/play it on mandolin. Looks fairly easy.

mandolin slinger Steve Ostrander's Avatar

Default Re: The Last Rose of Summer

Jesse McReynolds covered it on his Grateful Dead cover album. I think it’s called Jesse McReynolds and Friends.
    Living’ in the Mitten

Lots of settings to choose from: check out Wikipedia. There aren't many tunes with settings by Beethoven, Mendelssohn, Gounod, Hindemith, Britten, Bing Crosby and Jerry Garcia!

Martin

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Jonas View Post
    Lots of settings to choose from: check out Wikipedia. There aren't many tunes with settings by Beethoven, Mendelssohn, Gounod, Hindemith, Britten, Bing Crosby and Jerry Garcia!
    Hey, Martin. What was the name of the band that all those guys played in together?
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

In the Cristofaro Mandolin Method I, this song appears as Romance de la Rose (3rd Recreation) from the opera Martha (In the wikipedia link for The Last Rose of Summer: Friedrich von Flotow: aria "Letzte Rose" in the opera Martha (1847)).

This video of a french singer, is exactly Cristofaro version:

6. The following members say thank you to Jairo Ramos for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Jairo Ramos Parra View Post
    In the Cristofaro Mandolin Method I, this song appears as Romance de la Rose (3rd Recreation) from the opera Martha (In the wikipedia link for The Last Rose of Summer: Friedrich von Flotow: aria "Letzte Rose" in the opera Martha (1847)).
    Thanks for the pointer -- I had seen that but forgotten about it. For easy reference, here is the arrangement from Cristofaro, for two mandolins. I might try that myself.

Martin
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Last Rose Of Summer (Flotow-Cristofaro).pdf  

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Ostrander View Post
    Jesse McReynolds covered it on his Grateful Dead cover album. I think it’s called Jesse McReynolds and Friends.
    The album is called Songs of the Grateful Dead. The title of the Dead song is "Black Muddy River".

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Jonas View Post
    Thanks for the pointer -- I had seen that but forgotten about it. For easy reference, here is the arrangement from Cristofaro, for two mandolins. I might try that myself.
    I have now recorded the Cristofaro arrangement as a duet on two bowlback mandolins:

1890s Umberto Ceccherini mandolin (x2)

I have somewhat pruned the double stops in the accompaniment -- I can play them, but the intro sounded a lot smoother without them. No idea why the score says "allegro grazioso". Flotow's original score said "larghetto" and that's how it's normally played.

Martin